“A hostel that's better than most hotels!”

MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #230 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A hostel that's better than most hotels!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have just stayed at this hostel and had the best stay.
I stayed in a mixed dorm for six people with a friend and it felt more like a self services apartment. Fantastic shower, comfortable beds and staff that couldn't be more welcoming our friendly.
The atmosphere was relaxed and I definitely felt safe & secure. Great location for absolutely everything, metro or walking while the advised free walking tour was amazing. I'll definitely being going back to Berlin and will be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Meininger H, Public Relations Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear guest,

Sounds like a great stay - we love to hear this!
Looking foward to welcome you again -
also in beautyful Vienna, exciting London or maybe for Oktoberfest in Munich :)

All the best, kind regards,
your MEININGER Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a quadruple room over a weekend - very competitive prices indeed. The room was compact, no frills but if you just need a bed for the night here's your place! The cleaning staff do a good job and the hotel is immaculate
throughout. Unfortunately the reception staff were rude and unhelpful which was the only negative, which is a shame as it is only a small thing but makes all the difference to your stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear guest,

we are thankful for your feedback!

Looking forward welcoming you again in Europe´s vibrant cities at MEININGER Hotels -
and assure you with our staff, we can address to our staff 24h with your wishes and questions.

Take care, kind regards,
Kongsberg, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We (company of 3 people) stayed in this hotel from March 29th to March 31st 2014.
The booking, price and overall quality of staying were good. Though the hotel and rooms are quite worn-out by huge amount of customers, they still are good to use and look decent.They also have pretty cheap and cozy bar, breakfast is not included but for its price - 6 euro - it is very diverse and tasty.
I had an issue with this hotel, however. We stayed in room 814. It has 2 two-level bunk beds. First, the upper mattress was old and some springs were dangerously close to the surface - you could feel them with your legs! Next, when we arrived, lower beds were cleaned and covered with blankets; however, upper bed which I preferred was not covered at all. Moreover, the next day (when the room was cleaned) the lower beds were made but upper bed remained undone.
I asked a hotel receptionist why it is so. He replied that (according to the hotel rules) the beds are NOT SUPPOSED to be made by the hotel at all.
The issue is the following: if the beds are not supposed to be made by the hotel, why they were made (and done the next day)? And if they still were supposed to be made, then why my upper bed was not made at all? I have not found any information about this policy in Meininger hotel rules or FAQ on their website.
I disliked the overall cold of the receptionist reply also. I can understand it because there were lots of people those days in the hotel so it was a pretty nervous atmosphere. Still, I disliked it.
My overall impression is mixed. But I hope it was just only my case with this issue because I stayed in Meininger hotels before and was fully satisfied with the service and quality.

Room Tip: Upper mattresses in room 814 are old. I hope the hotel will change them. The internet works worse o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Meininger H, Guest Relations Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear guest,

thank very much for rating us.
Glas to read that you enjoyed your stay!
We would like to welcome you again at MEININGER Hotels :)

your M-Team
Wantage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

this hotel is only 2 mins walk from the main train station.

always lots of taxi`s out side, if you want to get about, also the tour bus`s leave from just outside the hotel too, ( 2 mins walk )

check in was fast, but later on there was a que due to a lot of students arriving, check out was quick.

due to this hotel catering for lots of young people it gets a little crowded an noisey, we had a problem with the students in the room next door, but a strong word from the receptionist Rea, and they were quiet for the rest of the night.

room was ok size wise, bathroom al little on the small side, but very clean.

breakfast was very good, plenty of choice..

no tea / coffee making facilities in the room, but you are welcome to use the guest kitchen..

would stay again because of price and location..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you ver ymuch for your honest feedback -
it makes us feel foog to know that you enjoyed your stay
at MEININGER Hotel.

We would like to welcome you again.
See you soon :)
Your MEININGER Team
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

My bf booked this hostel for 3 nights at a great rate on Booking.com. We stayed on the 7th floor in the 4 bed room (bunk beds).

Staff are friendly, lots of space and modern design.

Internet is slow I am afraid, but I think this is because of the number of guests. Breakfast is available for 5.90 Euros per day. I think it is better to go into town to get value for money.

We hired a bike on our last day at 12 Euros.

It is a great place and very cheap.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Meininger H, Guest Relations Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear guest,

Glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Next time you can also use our great comfortable guest kitchen for breakfast with lovely people from all over the world.

your MEINGER Team
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Location: Next to the central station is great for getting in and out of Berlin and accessing the metro, but for getting out and sightseeing you're better off staying closer to Brandenburg Tor. There is very little/nothing to do immediately around the hotel. For business it would be fine. For tourists there are better places.

Staff: The girl on the desk when I checked in was a B****. She refused to give me a discount, even when I showed her an email from the company confirming that I was entitled to one. She was rude, arrogant, and unhelpful when asked questions. She was working at reception when I had breakfast one morning and she did not smile at a single person who walked in the door or approached the desk. Other staff were welcoming and friendly, though.

Breakfast: It's basic and poor value. I've paid 2Euro in other places for better.

Rooms: Clean and comfortable. Soundproof. Well-lit. Linen and towels were provided in my room (single room with ensuite).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear guest,

thank you for giving us your feedback, it helps us to clarify things we an improve.

I really apologize the reaction from my colleague, customer satisfaction is a very
important point to us.

Yes, you are right, MEININGER Hotels are always very central located and offer fair prices for rooms and extras.

In case you would like to contact us privetly please do not hesitate.
We wish you all the best,
kind regards,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

This hostel is great. They sell to you like a hostel, but for me is more similar in sometimes to a cheap Hotel. Is really clean, the service is really good. The buffet breakfast is amazing. I been for New Years Eve and were a good choice for that dates. Is literally like 10 steps of the station.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

thank you very much for lovely word :)
We are happt to read that you enjoyed your stay that much.

Try out our MEININGER Hotels around Europe :)