“Good location, ok priced but be warned...”

MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #243 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Vancouver, Canada
“Good location, ok priced but be warned...”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This hotel which is located in a very good location (right beside the Berlin central station), does have several draw backs. Be aware that although it calls itself a hotel it is meant more like a hostel catering to teens and backpackers rather a true hotel. For its centrally location versus its price, this is not a bad choice to stay in while in Berlin, however if your requirements involved more than just location and price, then read on...
The room we booked to accommodate four is very very small. Two sets of tiny bunk beds placed in a tiny room which leaves little space for luggage for one person let alone four. Bathroom is of descent size and cleanliness but don't expect a bath tub. One huge drawback if you are afraid of the heat during summer months, the rooms are non-air conditioned and could get stuffy after a while. The lower bunk beds were made but the uppers were not. We had to make our own beds after we arrived.
Wifi is advertised as included but signals are very weak from within our room. The lobby feels like a high school hallway with teens and kids screaming and running around. Paid continental breakfast is available in the morning.
Pros: Convenient and close to Berlin HBF
Cons: Tiny non AC rooms, it's a hostel more than a hotel. Meant more for backpackers.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that allows windows to open wide. No ACs in the rooms!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Location is excellent.

Acts as a pretty good home base for when travelling.

WIFI is HORRIBLE, which for me as a traveller makes a huge difference, particularly when trying to get things done for business. Will take off a star for this as I think this is a very important factor, even when trying to plan things for following days. Cannot communicate using Viber its so slow.
Needs to be fixed.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side closest to the road. All the tour buses and construction cars use the road d...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I travelled on a school trip to Berlin and we stayed here. The location is absolutely excellent! We stayed during the world cup and the hotel is right beside a square where they had a big screen so it was great fun to walk 20m and be amongst such atmosphere. There are a few roads surrounding the hotel so it can be quite loud at night.
If you get a hotel with bunk beds, don't expect the top beds to be made up with their bed clothes on. Obviously the staff can't be bothered to climb up and do it themselves!
If I didn't enjoy Berlin so much maybe the rating of this hotel would be lower, but it did the job.

P.S No point even trying to get the wifi to work fast!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at this Meininger Hotel earlier in the year and was very happy on that stay with everything other than the slowness of the wifi. I complained about the wifi last time and was told it would be fixed. It definitely has not been fixed.

Six months later I returned, and although my stay wasn't bad, I was a little disappointed. I'll start with the positives: the location next to the Hauptbahnhof (main station) is excellent, the ho(s)tel is clean, the atmosphere is good and the guest kitchen is good, although lacking a couple of things such as a chopping board and a spatula.

However I found many (but not all!) of the staff to be quite unfriendly. After my last stay I got an email offering a 5% discount on my "next stay", but when I checked in I was told the discount only applied for the first night (misleading advertising much?). This was rectified but I had to argue with the man on the desk. The small dorm room also seemed smaller than last time and it felt a bit cramped in the room. Finally, as I mentioned before, the wifi is TERRIBLE - it is impossible to get anything done using the hotel wifi as it takes half an hour just to load a page. Please, get this fixed, and do it properly!

Overall, it wasn't bad, but I paid a little bit more to stay here than competitors were charging, and I don't really feel like I got good value for that extra money.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Matt G
Tromsø, Norway
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This Hotel is very well situated right next to the central station. It's very new and makes a good appearance in general. The shower curtains and matrices should be renewed more often though. Also the internet was very slow and therefore practically useless. For a night it was not bad.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank thomashunger
limerick
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel (actually as we discovered, it was a youth hostel, not a hotel) on Sunday 13th July, World Cup final day. Location is ideal if you are between train journeys as we were. On arrival receptionist was unfriendly but we made allowances as the hostel was very busy with throngs of people arriving for the World Cup festivities and we felt the staff were under pressure. Our room was basic and clean but no towels!!! We went to reception and were told they would not have towels available for a few hours, great ... After travelling all morning all we wanted was a quick shower. As we were exiting the hotel at 17.45 that evening I tripped on a step and severely sprained my ankle. A friend (fluent German speaker) explained the situation to the female receptionist, asked for ice for my ankle which was rapidly swelling - receptionist replied it was policy not to give ice 'for health reasons' - we were horrified by her response, she did not even use her initiative and refer the situation to a manager, needless to mention we will not stay here during our next trip to Berlin.

Room Tip: No wifi in bedrooms, poor wi fi in reception. Television in our room did not work.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed for 2nights and my experience wasn't that great. First of all, I asked the reception staff for help regarding some attraction location and the lady did show me a few, then she told me there's a que behind me and she said i could go to any tourist information counter if I need help regarding attraction's infos which I find it really rude as there's three staff behind the reception! Later, the free wifi signal is terrible and i need to go outside the door to use the wifi. Next, the bathroom's curtain can only cover one side and all the water split out from the other side which make the whole bathroom really wet and they did not provide any floor mat in the bathroom. As there's three of us, we took a room with two double-decker bed. I'm not sure is it normal that the hotel do not make the bed for the upper tier and we need to put all the bedsheets, duvet cover ourself?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends