“Loved it!”

MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #240 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had a very enjoyable experience at this hotel. The rooms were decent, clean and accessible. The food was good. The hotel gives a fun vibe with a lot of youth around. The hotel is very close to the Hauptbahnhof - train station - and there is a store where you can purchase postcards, and many vending machines. Wifi was free but not fast. Laundry was a bit difficult with a small washing machine and a dryer that took a long time to dry clothes. But overall good hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms not close to elevators would be less noisier?
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 331B_P
Toni M, Guest Relations Manager at MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear guest,

we are always happy to read a positive feedback and
want to say thank you for rating us!

Discover Europes vibrint cities with MEININGER :)
Kind regards,

your MEININGER Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,671)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The super noisy group of German teenagers in front of my room woke me up in the middle of the night at 1 am and it lasted 2 hours with all the giggling and shout. There is even no phone in the room so you could not dial the reception to report this, very disappointing!! The wifi in the room is poor, they said the wifi is free but once you are in your room, the signal is gone. One receptionist ( big eyes & blonde hair, very short height - worked on early morning shift) looked down on Asians (super bad manner, no service mind) On the contrary, there is one staff ( black hair & half blood I guess, could be Latin) in the morning shift who deserved the compliment. Once I complained about the noisy teens last night, he apologized and said that he will notify those who worked on night shift to take care of this. When I asked about the tourist information, he advised me enthusiastically and never showed dissatisfaction on his face even when I asked many questions. To conclude, look for this boy when you cannot avoid this hotel or else there are also many hotels nearby Berlin Hauptbahnhof where you can find much better service at the same or even cheaper rate!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank PennSrikorn

Dear guest,

thank you very much for rating us!
We apologise for our staff - usually we all try give our best to make the guest feeiling comfortable as much as it is possible, also during the nightshift.
We do understand you and feel sorry!

It would be a pleasure to get a second chance to assure you at all!
Best reagards,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The rooms are smaller that rat holes!
If you book a room for 4, you would probably get a room with 2 bunk beds and it is impossible for all 4 people to stand in the room at the same time.
The only good thing about it that it is close to the main train station.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JudeO92

Dear guest,

thank you for rating us!
MEININGER focus on rooms in very central position for great prices
also with high standard facilities.

We hope to get a second chance and see you again
maybe in our newest hotel in Bruessels.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This hotel which is located in a very good location (right beside the Berlin central station), does have several draw backs. Be aware that although it calls itself a hotel it is meant more like a hostel catering to teens and backpackers rather a true hotel. For its centrally location versus its price, this is not a bad choice to stay in while in Berlin, however if your requirements involved more than just location and price, then read on...
The room we booked to accommodate four is very very small. Two sets of tiny bunk beds placed in a tiny room which leaves little space for luggage for one person let alone four. Bathroom is of descent size and cleanliness but don't expect a bath tub. One huge drawback if you are afraid of the heat during summer months, the rooms are non-air conditioned and could get stuffy after a while. The lower bunk beds were made but the uppers were not. We had to make our own beds after we arrived.
Wifi is advertised as included but signals are very weak from within our room. The lobby feels like a high school hallway with teens and kids screaming and running around. Paid continental breakfast is available in the morning.
Pros: Convenient and close to Berlin HBF
Cons: Tiny non AC rooms, it's a hostel more than a hotel. Meant more for backpackers.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that allows windows to open wide. No ACs in the rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Location is excellent.

Acts as a pretty good home base for when travelling.

WIFI is HORRIBLE, which for me as a traveller makes a huge difference, particularly when trying to get things done for business. Will take off a star for this as I think this is a very important factor, even when trying to plan things for following days. Cannot communicate using Viber its so slow.
Needs to be fixed.

Room Tip: Stay away from the side closest to the road. All the tour buses and construction cars use the road d...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I travelled on a school trip to Berlin and we stayed here. The location is absolutely excellent! We stayed during the world cup and the hotel is right beside a square where they had a big screen so it was great fun to walk 20m and be amongst such atmosphere. There are a few roads surrounding the hotel so it can be quite loud at night.
If you get a hotel with bunk beds, don't expect the top beds to be made up with their bed clothes on. Obviously the staff can't be bothered to climb up and do it themselves!
If I didn't enjoy Berlin so much maybe the rating of this hotel would be lower, but it did the job.

P.S No point even trying to get the wifi to work fast!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed at this Meininger Hotel earlier in the year and was very happy on that stay with everything other than the slowness of the wifi. I complained about the wifi last time and was told it would be fixed. It definitely has not been fixed.

Six months later I returned, and although my stay wasn't bad, I was a little disappointed. I'll start with the positives: the location next to the Hauptbahnhof (main station) is excellent, the ho(s)tel is clean, the atmosphere is good and the guest kitchen is good, although lacking a couple of things such as a chopping board and a spatula.

However I found many (but not all!) of the staff to be quite unfriendly. After my last stay I got an email offering a 5% discount on my "next stay", but when I checked in I was told the discount only applied for the first night (misleading advertising much?). This was rectified but I had to argue with the man on the desk. The small dorm room also seemed smaller than last time and it felt a bit cramped in the room. Finally, as I mentioned before, the wifi is TERRIBLE - it is impossible to get anything done using the hotel wifi as it takes half an hour just to load a page. Please, get this fixed, and do it properly!

Overall, it wasn't bad, but I paid a little bit more to stay here than competitors were charging, and I don't really feel like I got good value for that extra money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo