“Great service, modern hotel, close to city center”

COSMO Hotel Berlin Mitte
Ranked #62 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The hotel is modern. The rooms varied in size and layout. Between our group, we had 6 rooms, and most of the them had different set ups. The front desk messed up our rooms the first night, we booked 1 corner room, 1 regular room and 1 room with twin beds. The regular room was SO SO small. For 10 euros extra, we were able to upgrade that to a corner room the last two nights of our stay - definitely worth it. Its at least double in size. The beds weren't the most comfortable.

The free breakfast was a great perk. We had the 3-nights-for-2 promotion, which made picking this hotel a no brainer. Its outside city center, and rather dead at night. But a 10-15 minute walk, you are right in town. The Spittlemarkt metro stop is directly across from the hotel - a trip to KaDeWa is very easy!

Wifi was only free in the lobby. 6.50 euros otherwise - per device.

The front desk was so friendly and helpful making room changes, reservations, calling taxis and giving us sightseeing information. Even when dealing with our group of 11.

Definitely worth the stay using the 3-for-2 promo. However, without that, I might pick a more central location if I visit Berlin again.

Overall, great experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank naush76

Reviewed 14 August 2013

On the whole, quite a good stay. Bed was relatively comfortable, room of a decent size. Not a bad location, right near Museum Island and right opposite a station to get you where you need. But there's not much going on in this neighbourhood, which depending on your view can be good or bad. All this said, when you scratch the surface, the nice design wears away.

A couple of things, like the fact that you couldn't control the temperature of the room. It was 35 degrees outside and it would have been nice to make it a little cooler (and that was after following instructions). If I keep the external shutters on my room closed on leaving for the day, I'd expect them to remain that way to try and keep the room cooler. I'd also expect hair conditioner considering that the other items were provided.

Also, having the desk at the end of the bed is a little odd, it's very easy to get things like a duvet caught on objects such as the lamp or water bottle, especially when it's so hot and you would just kick the duvet off at night.

One of my main issues was with breakfast and due to this we decided to not have breakfast in the hotel again. If you're charging me €18 per head for it, and you forget my order and then I have to leave without having my hot breakfast order, you shouldn't still charge me for it. I complained and didn't get anywhere. Had this been any other restaurant, I wouldn't have been charged!

Also, when I asked for Champagne glasses, I was initially refused as there was only 5. Only 5 available in the whole hotel? If I'm buying a bottle of Champagne, I'd expect to drink it properly. This was amateur hour at its best!

My stay would have been rate 4 stars had it not been for the two above items plus the exorbitant charge for in room Wi-Fi. In 2013, don't charge me like a wounded bull.

A shame, because this hotel could easily overcome silly things like these and be an excellent hotel.

3  Thank royal618
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Just one night at Cosmo Hotel, very stylish, classy, chic and reasonably priced. Great location for lovely dinner in Nicolai quarter. Room was quite spacious, great night's sleep, robes and slippers make it a very comfortable stay - loved it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Last week I spent 4 nights at the Cosmo. I had a deluxe corner room with huge windows on two sides. The room was spacious, very pleasant, with a nice desk , a sitting area and a very good bed. The bathroom was also big, with two windows and an excellent shower ( there is no shower cap! but there are robes and slippers). The room was facing a very noisy street but, once I closed the windows, it is was completely quiet. I think the rooms facing the small street in the back would be very quiet even with open windows. The breakfast was also very good. At first I thought the location is so ans so but when I realized that the Gendarmarkt (and the not- to- be- missed Fassbender-Rauch) is less than 10 minutes walk , the u-bahn is across the street and there are several bus lines at the corner, I changed my mind. The one remark I have is about the internet. Nowadays to charge extra for using the internet in the room, and separately for each device is unacceptable.
Ruth Jaffe

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We spent 3 nights in the Cosmo Hotel recently and found the rooms stylish and clean with nice toiletries and bathrobes/ slippers supplied. The bed was comfortable and despite the busy road outside, hardly noticed the traffic. I used the free wifi in the lobby and lots of others had the same idea. Didn't bother with the breakfast- it was expensive by German standards and there is plenty of choice elsewhere. Staff were very friendly and spoke excellent English. Would definitely stay there again and can't wait to revisit Berlin -a really interesting city.

Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Hotel is easy to find on a busy intersection but excellent double glazing kept out any road noises.
Rooms really good with great showers.
Agree with previous reviewers that the WiFi charges are bang out of order, as are the breakfast charges; €18 for a buffet is taking the Mickey.
The Musak in the public areas is a distraction and and sounds like Kraftwerk driving around in a scrap yard.
The Spittelmarkt location of the hotel isn't great for nightlife but only 15 mins from museum island and a bit of old town.
The nearest Underground station is only 50 m from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We are just home from a 4 night break in this hotel and it was fabulous. The rooms are gorgeous, bathrooms very big and the bed was the cosiest bed of all time! We slept so well 2 of the nights that we missed breakfast! Breakfast was very tasty with a good selection. We just used the wifi in the lobby instead of paying for it in the room and it was grand. The gym has everything you need with a few cardio machines and weights. The hotel is very near the Spittelmarkt underground station so its handy to get anywhere you want in Berlin. Overall I would definitely come back to this hotel, it ticked all the boxes for us!