“It's Okay”

Ranked #57 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“It's Okay”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Everything is relative - and in the case of the Cosmo Hotel, in another city this rating could have been a 4 or 5. But Berlin is flush with great hotels that are pretty well priced. I chose Cosmo on a recommendation and as the subject says, it was okay.

The rooms are beautiful and super clean though the shower seems to have that steady hot water problem usually found in tiny SE Asian hotels with limited plumbing technology - moving from luke-warm to skin scorching hot. And the design is obviously for looks instead of function.

The staff are pleasant enough but their local knowledge is significantly overstated on their website: "The COSMO concierge is your connection to the local scene and recommends to you the hottest restaurants, bars and clubs in town." When I asked for a recommendation for lunch I was told simply to walk down to the square down the street. When asked about a place serving good beer and sausages I was directed to the supremely touristy Bavarian restaurant Maximilians when the supremely terrific Das Meisterstück is only 400 meters from the hotel.

At one point while I was gathering my things in my room to leave a man simply walked right in. Surprised he said "Oh, check stock of bar?" I said, "Sure." and he proceeded to do his work and leave the room. I shortly followed him out and overheard him joking with his workmate about what had transpired, even mocking my "sure" response. Not sure if it is the standard habit of employees to walk into guests rooms without knocking or not bother apologising but it was a nice representation of the service here - efficient, though not friendly.

The location is indeed central as they say on the site. But Spittelmarkt itself has absolutely nothing going for it and you'll need to get away from the hotel to feel any form of exciement about Berlin - a city that is quite easy to get excited about.

For €150 +/- there are lots of great options in Berlin. Personally, I'd choose another next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank crox40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had a lovely room at this well-situated hotel. Our room was spacious and we had no real complaints. [though I thought the mattress sagged a bit]. The staff was quite helpful. We did not have breakfast at the hotel as we had read quite pricey [tho good]; there are plenty of places nearby. Indeed, the more luxurious area is less than a 10-minute walk and this was quieter. One big complaint--a few days before going, I found a lower rate on the hotel's website. We checked in [we did not think we would be able to check at that time--just drop our bags off, as we had arrived early] and headed out immediately. We showed the paperwork afterwards and they would not make an adjustment as we had already checked in! If we had known, we would have just left the bags...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank asava
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for a few nights after a long weekend at Oktoberfest. They allowed us an early check in which we really needed. The bed was so comfortable the robe was nice, I just emphasize on robe singular, as they only provided us one robe for our stay.
We had the standard room which didn't leave us much space but it got the job done.
Wifi was expensive at €6.50 per device per 24 hours.

The buffet was delicious! Most of the front desk staff were very helpful except one who was rude and not very accommodating, but I guess there is that one person everywhere!

It was easy to catch the Ubahn from Spittlemarkt Station across the street. There weren't many restaurants or shops nearby so just prepare for that.

Overall I liked it and would recommend it, I believe ideally it is meant for the business traveler.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank CandyGnomad
Essex
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here with friends. The hotel is very comfortable, visually attractive and has very helpful, friendly staff. The rooms are large and very clean with good large beds. The rooms are also very quiet, in fact the hotel soundproofing is seriously good. The duvets are light and very warm, we wanted to buy them! I would suggest trying some of the spirits at the bar. The hotel is convenient to sightseeing and also good local restaurants and bars. Would thoroughly recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: A corner room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2013

From the first experience at the front desk through to checking out this was a first class experience. We booked a suite and weren't disappointed with the space and facilities within our room. The deep free standing bath was well used following long sightseeing trips and my husband participating in the marathon.
We'll be back to enjoy this experience again.

• Stayed September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights in August. We had stayed at hotels in Amsterdam and Munich beforehand, but this was hands down the best of the three! For the same amount of money (though, admittedly, Berlin is a cheaper city than the other two), this was a hotel that felt very posh. Our room was fancy, the bed was incredibly comfortable, the staff was very nice, and there was a sauna. The location is pretty convenient also. There are cool things to walk to in the area, and if the subway is necessary, there is a stop pretty much right outside the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Berlin.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mikaela F
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Very comfortable hotel with large rooms, very good breakfast included which is until 2 in the afternoon in the weekend, so you can lie in as long as you want and still make use of the nice brunch! Rooms are spacious and well taken care of, staff is friendly too. Only minus points are a shower that was a bit hot/cold and that it is sort of on a very big and busy road. Otherwise the location is great because easy to get to everything even by walking.

• Stayed July 2013