“What a pleasant surprise!”

Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz
Ranked #44 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“What a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights in Scandic Hotel for business and I was pleasantly surprised. On my last day, I really didn't want to leave (the hotel or Berlin), haha. What a great place!

Room: Large, nice, clean and quiet. Smells nice, too. Very comfortable beds and the extra armchair is great for a little relax while watching TV or reading a book. If you don't want to be disturbed in the morning, don't forget to use the 'Do not disturb' card otherwise you might get awoken quite early. There is a safe and fridge in the room but no coffee or tea amenities.

Roomservice: There is no room service in the hotel but you can call the bar and they will bring you your order for 15 Euro fee, or you can call them and later just pop in to the 3rd floor and fetch it yourself. The bar closes very late and there is a balcony with chairs so you can sit there and chill. If you're hungry late at night, you can grab salad, wrap or little snack in the little shop at the reception. I had Caesar salad and turkey wrap and both were delicious.

Hotel: Spacious, professional and clean. Some of the staff were slightly ill-informed (specially in terms of city tax payments for people on business ... my colleague filled in a form at the reception and didn't have to pay the city tax, I was told that it doesn't apply to me because my room wasn't booked through the hotel so I paid it ... which was wrong because we both used the same booking system so I should have spared of paying the tax, too), Anyway, overall most of the staff was very friendly and helpful. Free WiFi worked well all over the hotel and food was amazing (used the bar, restaurant, shop at the reception and also had meals at the conference area).

Gym: The hotel gym (8th floor) is great for a morning cardio or some light weight training, which is more than you can expect from the hotel (there is a water fountain, towels and bath robes available, the gym includes a couple of showers and cute little sauna). The hotel guests have also an access to the Holmes Place gym next door which is connected with Scandic by the corridor (1st floor). All you need to do is swipe your room key-card. There is a spa service available in Holmes Place but I haven't tried it so can't comment on that.

Room Tip: I had a room no. 8101 on their top floor (where the hotel gym is) and it was very peaceful and quiet...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
scandicberlin, Verkaufsleiter at Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hej dear guest,

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and I really appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences in such a detailed way with us. Thank you for the nice words.

We hope to see you back in Berlin in the future. Until then, we wish you many great travel experiences.

Best regards,

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a business trip to Berlin and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is very clean and modern but manages to get away from the normal 'hotel chain feel'. The location was great, an easy walk from the Brandenburg Gate and Checkpoint Charlie so good for the tourist as well as the business client. The staff were very friendly and the room was nice and had an ironing board so I could look smart of my meeting. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Berlin.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hej dear Barry,

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time with us. Your very positive comments on the room and as well as the location are much appreciated.

I am happy to hear that we could make your stay in Berlin even more enjoyable.

Hope to welcome you again at your next trip to Berlin.

Heinola, Finland
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Spent here two nights in May. Hotel is very Scandinavian, clean, even a bit plain. Service is very polite and friendly and although I arrived early, I got my room straight away. Room was clean and spacious. The breakfast was a typical Scandinavian style, so nothing to complain about, except the slow coffee machines.
It was only a 10 minutes walk away from the very heart of Berlin, so the location is great. In the neighbourhood You can find a mall and many restaurants.

2 Thank HL65
Hej dear guest,

we highly appreciate your effort to write an online review about your stay with us. I am happy to read your very positive feedback about our hotel facilities, the friendliness of our staff and our central location. Thank you for your feedback regarding our coffee machines. We will discuss this issue with our engineering team.

In the end I want to stress that we would be very happy to welcome you again in our hotel during your next stay in Berlin.

Best wishes from the whole team,

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 15 May 2014

What I liked most is that Scandic hotels’ concept is focused on preserving the nature and taking care for the healthy environment. Interior is fresh and green, with lots of light and natural shapes. Staff is very professional and prices are quite acceptable for a four stars hotel in the center of Berlin. Along with that, hotel guests have non stop free access to wi fi and the food in the restaurant is very good – I even got into the week of Jamie Oliver cuisine and had the chance to try some of his dishes. Well equiped for business meetings also. Last, but not least Scandic hotel is located just next to Potsdamer platz, 5 minutes away from Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust Memorial and German Bundestag, which provides perfect accomodation for tourism and site-seeing.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
scandicberlin, Verkaufsleiter at Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hej dear Gabriela,

thank you for your nice review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed and valued our sustainability concept. Already since 1993 our daily work at Scandic has been dominated by small and large things that contribute to a more sustainable world. If you are interested in our activities for a better world, you can also have a look on the Scandic Homepage. Did you know, that for example our guest rooms are made of 90 % recyclable materials?

On your next trip to Berlin we will be more than happy to welcome you back at the Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz!

laxenburg, Austria
Reviewed 13 May 2014

As I love Scandinavia, it is nice to enjoy some nordic atmosphere at this hotel in the middle of Berlin. Albeit small rooms, they are very nicely and trendily designed and furnished with a chick Scandinavian taste. Everything is comfy and practical; breakfast is great, even quite some organic offerings.

It is also a great choice for a meeting - the facilities are good, food and snacks for the events are superb, and everything is very practical and well set up.

The only thing that I was not so fond of was that this hotel does somehow have a very "mega"- feel to it, or that you are part of a huge industry (starting from the 5 or 6 elevators, the giant breakfast room, etc - you just feel constantly reminded that there are hundreds or thousands of you there). I strangely did not have the same industrial feeling in the Estrel Hotel Berlin that is an even much bigger hotel in Berlin. But this should not hold you back from this hotel as it is probably only me who is this rural type ;-).

The hotel is in a great location - railway station, huge shopping and entertainment centers, and the biggest urban park in Berlin - all within a few minutes of comfy walk.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
scandicberlin, Verkaufsleiter at Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hej dear guest,

thank you for your taking the time to give us such a detailed and positive feedback about your stay with us.
I am happy to hear that you especially enjoyed the welcoming Scandinavian atmosphere in our hotel with our healthy food and meeting concepts. I can understand your remark regarding the size of our hotel. Although we have 561 rooms, it is for us of highest importance to give all of our guests the feeling of being amongst friends and being hearty welcomed. I think this is also what you experienced in our hotel.
I can assure you that although we have many elevators, we have also many quiet and relaxing corners in our hotel. For example our bar terrace, where you have beautiful views over the Potsdamer Platz.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back on your next trip to Berlin.

Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great hotel with Scandinavian touch. Very friendly and helpful staff. Also a very good breakfast menu. The menu and dishes served in the restaurant was, however, not top class. Avoid the hamburger.

Free WiFi, but just newschannels to watch on the TV.

There was an AC in the room, but the lowest temperature available is 19C, wich was too hot.

The only thing that was very annoying and irritating is that the amount reserved at my crditcard when I checked in was not released until a week after. "-It´s our procedure" I was told when complaining. So - watch out and check your account.

Close to Brandenburger Tor and Reischtag. Underground station around the corner.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
scandicberlin, Verkaufsleiter at Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hej dear guest,

I would like to thank you for the time you spent to give us such a detailed and constructive feedback.

First of all, I am very sorry for the issue with your credit card. I would like to give you a small explanation for the procedure. When you leave your credit card details as a guarantee, we block the payable amount until your departure. If you pay at check out with another credit card or by cash, the amount needs to be unblocked manually from your credit card, which can take up to a few days. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Nevertheless, we are very happy with your positive feedback about our staff and our breakfast buffet.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in our hotel at your next visit to Berlin.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Lovely modern hotel, with decent sized rooms and lovely bathroom. We had view over front of hotel from the 5th floor.
The bar area is modern and clean. The staff are very friendly and helpful.
Great location! I would recommend this hotel to friends!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hej dear guest,

Thank you for kind words. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We especially appreciate your great feedback about our staff.

We are looking forward to meeting you and your friends on your next trip to Berlin!