“Truly fantastic”
Review of Soho House Berlin

Soho House Berlin
Ranked #130 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Gritty Berlin has been given a dose of quietly eccentric English charm with the arrival of Soho House Berlin. The 40 bedrooms represent the hotel component of this members' club, part of the Soho House Group, which has restaurants, cinemas, bars and spas on both sides of the Atlantic. The Berlin outpost has many similarities with the others, particularly in the creative crowd it attracts, relaxing beside the fireplaces of the Club Floor, tucked away in a padded window alcove or basking on the large green-and-white striped sun-loungers beside the rooftop pool. Typical, too, are the industrial design elements in the public spaces (exposed brick, concrete pillars), offset by the prettiness of the bedrooms (lively floral prints). The 'Tiny' rooms under the eaves reflect an 'anything goes' Berlin mood with wooden bedsteads and metal side tables; the other (much larger) bedrooms have supersized, padded-velvet headboards, faux-fur throws and pillows aplenty. Hot-water bottles, home-baked shortbread and Roberts radios are among the English quirks found in this Art Deco former department store, once headquarters to the Communist Party. Breakfasts on the rooftop terrace with views of the Fernsehturm, Berlin's iconic TV tower, are a treat. In the basement there's a Cowshed spa, screening room, library and bar; there's also a gym on the first floor.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Soho House Berlin

Reviewed 1 June 2011

We stayed here over the late May Bank Holiday weekend for 4 nights - we had a wedding to attend and it was my b'day. Like other reviewers, we were impressed with the service all round - much friendlier and more helpful than when we stayed at Shoreditch House last year. Staff actually appeared to be enjoying their jobs too which was good to see. We certainly weren't treated any differently to the actual members of the place and were allowed to sign our friends in as members would do.

Our room was classified in the "Tiny" category but it really wasn't. It was a bargain at 100 euros a night. There was enough room for a super-kingsize bed and other bits and pieces of furniture. The bathroom was big and included a fantastic rain shower - no need to take your toiletries bag as they provide lovely full-size Cowshed Spa products as well as toothpaste, mouthwash, razor, deodrant and various other miniatures. This is so handy if you want to travel with hand luggage only on Easyjet!

Otherwise the room was very quiet with good thick curtains on the windows - great for me as I'm a light sleeper. There was a good flat-screen TV and DVD, plus iPod dock. Good quality bedding, tea, proper coffee and biscuits added to the feeling that I did not want to leave this room!

The club floor on the 7th floor is really cosy and nicely done out. We easily whiled away our last afternoon here with a drink and the paper and, importantly, there was no pressure from staff to buy drinks or food.

The rooftop bar and pool is very buzzy and was busy most of the time because it was hot. The bar staff seemed to be under a lot of pressure but were nonetheless as polite as the other staff.

The food and drink is reasonably pricey I guess (probably not much more than you'd pay for a meal in London really) but we expected that and we were there for a celebration so it didn't bother us. We ate one breakfast there and a dinner plus various drinks at different times, everything I had was very tasty and all served using decent crockery, glassware and cutlery.

The spa was excellent. My therapist was very good and patient with my ticklish feet, in addition to speaking great English! I didn't have any cash on me at the time stupidly so ran back to my room to get a tip for her. When I got back down to the spa, they asked me if I was sure I'd like to leave a tip as they didn't have a policy at all and then thanked me very much for it - I really appreciated that and it was another score for the staff.

The location is good and it's very easy to get to from Alexanderplatz. Otherwise it's pretty easy to get to other places for sight-seeing, eating and drinking using public transport or walking.

There were all sorts of people staying here so I'd recommend it to anyone from couples to business people. I think most people would feel comfortable here.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

Just had 4 nights at Soho House Berlin. Service all round was excellent, waiting staff were brilliant and so were the reception staff, all really friendly and helpful. Maria on the front desk was especially brilliant with advice and tips when I needed help. Our room was great, (room 40), really large with the biggest and most comfortable bed you can imagine. Shower room was great, had the option to turn it into a steam room. Hotel is on a busy road but it was completely quiet, my Husband is a light sleeper and the outside noise just does not penetrate the rooms. Close to the Mitte district and museums, all walkable. Food was good apart from the breakfast sausages, they were terrible but all other food and drinks were great. Really lively bar by the pool, full of people from all walks of life. The design of the hotel is brilliant - sparse in places but so cosy in others, really done well.

Room Tip: Ask for room 40. Quiet and light.
1  Thank DM45ESS
Reviewed 25 May 2011

We went for a long weekend, anniversary celebration and could not have had better value and comfort for a chill-out luxuriating type of place. Reception and service wonderfully laid back and personal. As others have said, the design and attention to detail has the wow factor. Such is the range of the room service products, it was difficult not to spend most of the day in the shower. The small rooms (misnomer) on the 5th floor are fantastically quiet and well sound proofed. After three days, I even managed to master the super cool dimmer switches on the lights. Important tip: don't bother to pack your wash bag, as you can be pretty sure most of your contents will look out of place against the massively and elegantly stocked Cowshed items.

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Despite an unprepossessing exterior and a rather Spartan lobby, the hotel is exceedingly comfortable and rooms are spacious and well presented. I had a 'small' room but it was very large by UK standards; huge bed; large seating area; dressing area; great bathroom with separate shower; ample and luxurious toiletries (Cowshed range from the hotel spa) ; coffee, tea and treats in the room etc. This is a luxurious hotel where much thought has been given to everything a guest might need. The members club and rooftop bar are fun and entertaining places to eat, drink or just enjoy the view over the city. A thoroughly luxurious hotel which is more varied and less corporate than most hotels. Proximity to Alexanderplatz makes it easy to locate.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 4 May 2011

This hotel is very cool and trendy. I am a well travelled person but felt as if I needed to be a celeb/cooler than me. The rooms and pubic spaces are stunning. I was in room 6 (small) and room 7 (medium). They were amazingly well stocked. Beautiful linens. Small rooms are certainly spacious. The medium room was vast! Location not bad but I wasn't keen on immediate surroundings. However, easy walk to the main sights and the area up the hill had lovely delis and shops a bit like Notting Hill. One grumble was I did let them know in advanced I needed an early check in. Got there at 12 and room not ready until nearly 4pm. They did not offer complimentary beverages but did suggest I relax in the bar or spa. Food was not bad, though as a foodie I would say the pizza was better at I due Forni nearby. Nevertheless I would recommend this hotel. The swim in the rooftop pool on the last morning was spectacular. Just bring your black trendy clothes and designer glasses and you'll fit right in. Ps the Bircher muslei for breakfast is delicious and will keep you full for hours. Do try fat bike tours for a fun and informative day which is very safe and easy, and is a great way to get around.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 19 April 2011

probaly one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in including the 5 stars, Hyatt Parks, Mandorins etc. Ambient-perfect/coolness-perfect/staff-perfect (although a little slow sometimes in the restaurant)/room-perfect-sleep/bed-above perfect/food-excellent. a briliant concept hotel with a wonderful heart, very well informed staff, we had a feeling of belonging from the beginning and enjoyed our stay throughout. the car-arrival could be better solved so that it is not neccessayr to unpack a car on a main road. we will be back

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple