“First class hotel; second class service”
Review of Soho House Berlin

Soho House Berlin
Ranked #150 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Soho House is an amazing brand with incredible locations around the world. The Berlin outpost is beautiful and has the same feel as the other clubs in London, New York, Toronto, Los Angeles, etc., but the service and friendliness leaves a lot to be desired. Might be the way they have two front desks which gives you a sense of confusion upon arrival. (One is for the private club and one is for the front desk - but if you haven't been there before, you have no signs or personnel to guide you to the right desk). And the, uh, less than friendly looks from the staff behind the desks don't help. Easy to fix. Either redesign with one desk -- or have a friendly staff member present to guide guests to the proper desk. Rooms are beautiful with a vintage feel. But front door handles falling off and showers with doors that don't stay closed are typical of the minor annoyances we experienced. And speaking of annoying, the trendy light switches are beyond annoying. Hard to explain - you just have to experience the cute but ineffective knobs.

Aside from that the "everything is for sale feel of Soho House" is kinda cheesy (the shopping bag hanging in the closet? 5 Euro. One of the TEN (yes ten!!!) shower soap bottles can be yours for take away for 18 Euro.

And the whole "everyone is equal" feel at the other Soho House properties was nowhere in sight. One of the two elevators on our side of the building was commandeered frequently for George Clooney and his four man Secret Service style security team. Really?

And the spa? Well, having your masseuse show up a half hour late due to "traffic" is never a good start.

Overall I'd rate this a "near miss" in terms of Soho House quality. But if the annoying problems and stand-offish staff are tweaked, this could be a great place to stay in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michael S

Reviewed 29 January 2013

We loved soho house Berlin, we stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, staff is very friendly and so cool! The room was very big, we enjoyed the rainforest shower, the cowshed products, all the complementary stuff in a room! The Spa is very nice too! The feast on Sunday morning is a must do! The lounge on the 7 floor was very cool and trendy, the food was nice, and not overpriced!!!cherry on the top Mr Georges Clooney was there! Amazing week end! Soho House is definitely the place to go in Berlin!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This place is absolutely lovely I wish I could have stayed there one more night. Is it worth the money?100% yes. My room was super lovely the bed was so large I could have fitted 5 people in it. The furniture had this cool vintage feel with an old record player and a Roberts radio. The cow shed products in the bath room are great. The bar is really nice and cozy and in general the location is pretty good. The reception staff were a little laid back and too cool for school which was my only complaint.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank redredrose666
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I had a wonderful time here. We stayed here for 3 days and as I fell in love with Berlin I pretty much fell in love with the Hotel. The staff were very accommodating and helpful, rooms are fresh with just enough mix of trendy and comfy. Loved the bathroom and all the little products by Cowshed are excellent. I really don't have anyth. negative to say, it's great all around really. By the way for gym junkies I would have to say this is one of the best Hotel gyms I ever seen (I've seen many) Definitely visit Club Room for dinner or just a drink, the place is happening almost at any hour. And of course the Spa was amazing ending to a great stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I am a member of all houses so I had wanted to visit the SH new outposts for a while. First in the list outside the UK, SH Berlin. It did not disappoint. However, food needs to be improved and service a bit erratic. Overall though, rooms and environment lovely though our room looked out to the courtyard I did not mind but hubby did), fabulous gym and instructors (I had one to myself for an hour as noone else turned up); spa beyond great with some very beautiful people around and the NYE party excellent. We tried the studio apartment this time but might go for a hotel room next time, not sure that I have use for the kitchenette though vaguely thought of rustling up something at some point...too lazy to do anything about it as the 5th floor beckoned with food and drink! We also loved Berlin and we are returning soon!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure that youa sk for rooms looking out to the main road rather than the courtyard; in the summ...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Soho house had bad service one year ago and it seems nothing has changed ... Staff seems to be stressed when you approach then and you do not feel very welcome. We had a problem with the heating which seemed to cause a fire alarm. So they rang us up at 8 Sunday morning. Annoying! Also, why must I speak English in a Berlin hotel? I was just wondering ... To say something good: the rooms are very nice and have high quality extras. And: the spa is really cosy and a good place to relax.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We absolutely loved this place. We had wanted to go but we never had the opportunity so when we saw a great deal of booking.com we knew we had to get a room. The location is excellent, Right in between Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg districts. The amenities of the room are also excellent. I forgot all our toiletries at home So we were happy to see that really everything was there Provided for us. We also fully enjoyed the spa facilities. That's so much to do that actually you don't have to leave the hotel at all. We look forward to a repeated visit.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business