“Best Location in Berlin”

Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hackescher Markt
Ranked #8 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Denver
“Best Location in Berlin”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, as this was my first trip to Berlin.

However, we LOVED the Adina. We didn't know what to expect from an "apartment hotel" but we weren't disappointed. Nice room, nice balcony, kitchenette with super-modern appliances -- even a dishwasher. In fact, when we got into our routine, we started our day with breakfast in the room (groceries were available from the nearby "Bio-Market"). Bathroom was another high-tech experience ... I wonder where these guys buy their plumbing supplies, Ikea? Was neat though, with a walk-in shower and heated towel rack (mmmmmh).

This location was really great. Close to the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn. Short walk to Alexander Platz, Museum Island, Brandenburg Gate, Tiergarten -- literally all the sights (and sites) you want to see.

There are other Adinas in Berlin, but do not be tempted by their lower prices. Those locations are subpar. Hackescher Market is perfect -- pay the extra to stay there. It is close to the action, but not covered by the mobs and (shudder) tour bus groups that swarm so many of the historical sites. Lots and lots of restaurants in the area. If you want German food (and who doesn't (ha, just kidding)) there are numerous "umbrella restaurants" just around the corner in Hackesche Hofe.

Berlin was a "bucket list" trip for me. The ghosts of the GDR and National Socialists are there for sure -- even evidence of the Soviets. The place is a living emblem of the Cold War. If you go, be sure to see the "Topography of Terror," which documents Nazi extremism, and the Berlin Wall Memorial. Both are moving experiences.

For the most part Berlin is expensive, but probably no more than any other place in Germany. I doubt I'll return there, but if I do, I know where I will stay.

5 Thank Keith S
ajost, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hackescher Markt, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Keith8012, many thanks for your great review. I am happy to read that we did not disappoint you as an apartment hotel. And you are right the location is unbeatable and the city is still a living history book. So I am sure, there is much more to discover during another stay in Berlin. Hopefully we can be you host again. Kind regards Annette Jost

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is our first time staying at Adina hotel ... We where very pleasantly surprised.. Service was good .. Room was clean and great.... Very central for what we were looking for... We would stay at this place again and will try other Adina hotels

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and was also quitefacing another hotel
2 Thank Stanley L
ajost, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Berlin Hackescher Markt, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Stanley L, I am happy to read that you were pleasantly surprised by our product. Probably you will be able by travelling through Australia to check out our other Adina Hotels. Looking forward to your next stay with us. Kind regards. Annette Jost
Washington, DC
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I love this hotel. The rooms are small apartment suites featuring sleek, ultra-modern German design. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and exceptionally comfortable. The location is fantastic - right in the heart of the former East Berlin, the most exciting and beautiful part of Berlin. The hotel is also right around the corner from Berlin's extraordinary Museum Island. The staff are friendly and helpful. The only downside is expensive and slow Wi-Fi that is very confusing to access. Since good Wi-Fi service is important for travelers, this is a serious deficiency. The other amenities are so good, however, that I would give this hotel the highest possible rating.

3 Thank Peter R
Dear pwrstr, many thanks for your honest and really nice review. It is great to read that you liked the design of our rooms, the location and the service my team provides. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the Wifi policy right now, but you have 24hrs free wifi in the lobby and bar. I hope this will not keep you away from returning back to us. Kind regards Annette Jost
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Wonderful hotel, friendly staff, great location. The rooms are real value for money! That is why I chose this hotel for my third stay (out of three ...) in Berlin. My husband and I stayed for 11 nights in a premium apartment on the 7th floor. Great balcony etc.! But there's one thing that keeps me from giving this hotel full score: The internet policy. I actually don't mind paying - the fees were not that high. But I do mind a very annoying and complicated system, especially when using Apple-devices such as iPad or iPhone. Basically I had to remember to log on(!!) again to be able to log off. Sometimes the system didn't register my attempt to log off and I ended up paying for extra hours when I was sleeping. The "30 minutes for free" never worked in my room, and 30 minutes a day is really not enough anyway. Please fix the internet thing, Adina, and I'll be back (again).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gro O
Dear Gro O, many thanks for your review. It seems you enjoyed staying with us for such a long time. Unfortunately we cannot change the wifi policy right now, but we will have another look into the registration process. Hopefully we can welcome you back one day. Kind regards Annette Jost
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

you will be delighted at the high standard of the rooms/ the great location near the Hackescher Hof and Museum Island.... everything you want to see is pretty much in walking distance/ friendly staff/ value for money. Book it now....you will not be sorry

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tina022, what a nice statement. Many thanks for your voting. I am happy to read that you liked our hotel as well as the location and the service we do provide. Looking forward to your return. Kind regards. Annette Jost
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Five of us have just come home from Berlin and we stayed in the Adina Apartments for 2 nights.
It's location is excellent, next to pubs and restaurants and it is a smart hotel.
Rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable.
The facilities in the apartment are very good (toaster/hobs/fridge/dishwasher etc). We all slept very well as the beds were extremely comfortable. The shower was powerful and very easy to use.
The staff are very helpful, especially the gentleman who was working on Friday evening. He printed off Itinerary for us and was very patient with us! All of the staff are willing to help.
The spa/sauna/gym are all very clean, nice to use after a long day sightseeing and the gym looked well equipped. It's about 30 minutes from the SXF Airport and costs 40 euro for one way in a taxi.
I would recommend this apartment to anyone and would use it again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear 76lucyd, it seems you had a fabulous stay and our apartments and my team made sure you could relax enough to explore the city. We look forward to your next stay with us. Kind regards Annette Jost
Arizona
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We've traveled a lot through Europe and I rarely give 5 stars but Adina Hackescher is ideal in so many ways I had to give it the highest rating. Here's why:
LOCATION: This is the ideal location if your touring Berlin. Exit the lobby and go left about 200 yards to the Hackescher Markt S-Bahn station (the entry is under the elevated tracks. It's a major hub that will connect you anywhere you want to go. If you want to take yellow tram (streetcar) there is a westbound stop just 50 feet around the corner of the building and if you follow the tracks another 100 feet you'll be at the eastbound pickup. When you get to the corner of the building there's a Kamps coffee & pastry shop. Continue on and there's two ATM locations (Berliner Bank's is in a private lobby recess). Continue a little farther and there's a full service Kaiser grocery store. You are also a short walk or tram ride to the Friedrichstrasse or Alexanderplatz stations where you can also catch the regional trains if you're venturing out of the city to Potsdam, Dresden, or just quickly to West Berlin. TIP- get the Berlin Metro and DB apps for your mobile phone. The BM app can be downloaded and will work offline. I used it daily and it was a lifesaver. You just enter the station where you want to start your journey and where you want to end it and it tells you the route, train#, how many changes and where to change. It tells you how often the tram, S-Bahn or U-Bahn is running and how many stops it will make. You can even see your route on a map! It doesn't show the regional train schedules and that's where you néed the DB app (DeutscheBahn?). It covers the regional trains, but it can only be updated when you're on wifi or using cellular service, so plan your route in advance as much as possible. If you stay here and use these apps you'll swing from location to location like Tarzan in the jungle. Back to location, continuing on around the back of the building there's a nice breakfast place called Pure Origins. If you don't have breakfast on your hotel plan it's a nice convenient option. We needed to do laundry after our 6-day stay and the studio rooms (plenty of room for two people) don't have washer/dryers. Again, exit left out of the hotel and go two blocks to Rosenthaler and make a right turn about 5 blocks to Torstrasse, then cross the street and go right to 115 Torstrasse and there is a self-serve laundry called "115 Washalon". The English instructions weren't great but the owner is there to help out. And, if all that isn't enough Insider Tours meets just past the Hackescher Markt S-Bahn entry to start their morning tours (they have about 8 different tours). We're not normally tour people but we tried them and they were knowledgeable and enthusiastic and they're right next to the hotel.
FOOD: can't comment on the food because we weren't on a breakfast plan. But the units have a wonderful kitchenette so we bought cold cuts, cheese, juice, rolls, fruit and yogurt and had breakfast in our room. It worked great and will save you some serious jack if you're on a budget.
ROOMS: we had requested and received an upper floor room facing the courtyard and it was perfect. Very quiet every night. Couldn't have been better. Clean, efficient and quiet!
STAFF: very helpful and pleasant. Andre was particularly helpful suggesting and printing out some travel itineraries for us.
HOTEL: modern, clean and well equipped. Wifi available free in lobby but you have to pay for it in your room. I don't like having to pay extra for wifi and a continental breakfast but unfortunately that seems to be the standard in Europe.
You can't do better than this hotel. If you give it a shot I think you'll be glad you did.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank WorldQuester
Dear WorldQues, what a review! I really appreciated that you took the time to write so explicit all your experiences as well as all the advices to get around in berlin. I am sure that other guests will take great benefit of your advices. Great to know how much you enjoyed staying with us and I am happy to pass on to André your compliments. Hopefully you will have the chance to return to us one day. Kind regards Annette Jost