“Coolest place in Berlin”
Review of Tacheles - CLOSED

Tacheles
More attraction details
Owner description: This trendy art gallery is located in a dilapidated building, a symbol of the manner in which art thrived in the bleak atmosphere of Cold War Germany.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Coolest place in Berlin”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I heard this place is closed now? Who knows? When I went, we had a fantastic night at Cafe Zapata where the music was crispy tech-house and one could speak to loads of cool artists, musicians and all-round left leaning Berliners! This is a great place to explore at night, especially if you have a Berlin local with you.

Visited January 2013
6 Thank ShravanBhat

• Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“nothing to see”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Maybe we managed to miss it, but I don't think there is anything much to see here now. It seemed like the entire garden was now surrounded by fences and when I climbed to the top of one to have a look it seemed as everything had been removed destroyed.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ewan M
Brighton, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Unique”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Me and my boyfriend were strolling through Berlin to explore the city. Coincidently we walked passed the former Tacheles. We wondered what the purpose of the building is and were interested what was hidden in the courtyard. There we found a community of artist displaying art made from metal. We were not sure what to think about it and we even have been a bit scared just walking in. It was hidden away in the ruins. We had no idea who to expect. That's why we were surprised as we found all this amazing artwork. We still felt uncomfortable in the silence there.
Looking at it now I'm gutted that we have not spend more time at this interesting place. We had a look through the workshop fascinated by the metal sculptures and the displayed art.
Apparently the courtyard was the remainder of the once famous art house Tacheles. In has been closed by the authorities in 2011 and there are only a couple of remaining artists there. I know now about the history of the place. Obviously there is no need to be scared. This community of artists decided not to leave and keep their identity and I admire that.
There is no entry fee but the artist community give everyone the opportunity to leave voluntary donations.
Everyone who likes modern art and has some spare time visiting Berlin, should visit Tacheles. It is a pity that an amazing institution like that could not stay open. Should the courtyard be still open the next time I am there I will definitely take the time to look a closer look.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank TobWeb
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“CLOSED BUT STILL GO!”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The enormous garden at the back is open, don't assume the entire thing is closed!
Make sure you still get down there and explore behind Tacheles itself.

Visited March 2013
5 Thank Laura H
Manchester, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“sth original”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

zapata cafe in mitte berlin is sth amazing. a totally original place full of istallations, graffiti and many artists who exhibit their art.

Visited March 2012