“disappointing trip to Adlon”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #16 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Moscow, Russia
“disappointing trip to Adlon”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I spent a couple of nights in the Adlon in December. The hotel itself was very nice, but I was disappointed with some aspects of the service. My room wasn't ready when I arrived so I headed off to the gym. No one offered to help me with my bags at this point. I returned to the desk at 3 and the room still wasn't ready. The desk staff seemed distracted and I had a real sense that they couldn't quite cope with the number of guests. This impression was reinforced in the evening when I tried to get a table at the bar but was told it was full. The duty manager promised me that a table had been found but when I returned to the bar they had no knowledge of this and I was turned away again. Not a 5 star experience.
The breakfast was very good and the concierge was excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
kosinlay, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear esteemed reviewer,

Sincere thank you for taking the time to compose this review and to share your experience with us. We appreciate your valuable comments as they help us to improve your guest experience. We strive to offer you a superb product and an outstanding service on every day of the year. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski. I would like to apologize for the occurred inconveniences and reassure you that this is not our standard.

We take pride in serving the needs of our guests to make their stay remarkable and unforgettable.

Please feel free to contact me personally at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com to provide me with further information on your stay and suggestions how to make your next stay with us a memorable one.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin.

Kind regards,
Franck Droin
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed at Hotel Adlon for a weekend with friends. The hotel gave its little extra all the time, from check-in sparkling wine to the way the polished shoes (complimentary) and laundry was delivered. We stayed in an executive room, the "basic class room" of Adlon and sometimes the basic rooms aren't that funny. This was. Nicely furbished, big, great beds, even equiped with an iPad. We loved the turn down service that cleaned the room an extra time in the evening, putting our slippers by the bed on a linen cloth. We would love to stay at the Adlon again when we return to Berlin, hopefully soon!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank awpal
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is a very traditional and a luxurious hotel in a great location without a doubt but... A glass of prosecco to greet you on arrival helped sooth the irritation at our 2 rooms not being ready. A further irritation that we had an e-mail which said that breakfast was included but this was not on our record and even after showing the e-mail, it was suggested that we wait until Monday (this was Sat) to discuss with the sender. In the end, we got our breakfast for each day although never did figure out what/where to go for the special Sunday brunch which was also included.

We had 2 rooms, a basic one which was fine and looking out to the side-street and the other a larger room with a walk-in dressing room and a view of the Holocaust museum. We couldn't understand how the lighting worked - there's no point having fancy light controls if you don't explain to your customers how they work. The rooms were very comfortable, warm (this was December) and the use of an I-pad was a nice touch although the wi-fi signal was pretty poor.

The staff were neither friendly nor unfriendly but service could be pretty slow. My husband gashed his leg and on return to the hotel we asked if someone could bring us some antiseptic and a plaster - they did but it took nearly 45 minutes. Similarly, when my parents called the concierge, they were told someone would call them back and again,it took a long time. However, they arranged tickets for us to go to the Reichstag at no cost which was helpful.

Breakfast was varied and champagne was available - and beer. The quality though was nothing special - a small thing but in a 5 star hotel, I assumed the blinis would be freshly made not sitting out cold; the fruit was ok; being able to squeeze your own orange juice was another nice touch but no instructions left you struggling a little; we had cooked dishes a couple of times which were fine but inconsistent eg eggs over-cooked on second day. We had dinner in the Thai restaurant which was mixed - starters were very tasty, main courses a bit less exciting.

The location was superb, especially for a first visit to Berlin - all the sites you want to see and Museum Island are all within walking distance.

This was a special birthday celebration - we wouldn't generally stay somewhere quite as upmarket and expensive so I was expecting a bit more and I don't think it quite delivered that extra special quality. Nor did they acknowledge the birthday which surprised me as most places run to fruit basket, chocolates or a bottle of bubbly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank lhenni
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We came for the WE and it was great as we enter the hotel the place look like the time did not move, great service, we were upgrade to a suite room as we are part of the Omni GHA the room was great with a garden view
We had diner in the 2 restaurants of the hotel and the food was excellent in both case.
On the last day we also visit the SPA, great place very clean and nice, they know how to threat their guest
Of course one of the high light of the hotel is the location you cannot find better place to stay in Berlin ,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I've been lucky enough to stay in some great hotels over the years, but this rates as one of the best. The room and hotel facilities all look new and in great condition, but it is the staff that make this hotel special. From the moment you are treated to a glass of fizz when you check in, the service from the staff was just superb.

The breakfast is a little pricey, but worth it - just make sure you arrive hungry. Again the service at breakfast is superb, and the quality of what's on offer is great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sofia
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hotel is part of the Kempinski Group so one cannot find that many areas that can be improved.

My rating is excellent since the hotel is excellent, just not for families with young kids.
Kempinski Aldon is all about the location. There is simply no better location in Berlin. Let then 50 meters and overlooking the Brandenburg Gate. Even the Reichstag location is not that prime.

Service here as in all Kempnski properties is exceptional. No comment. Simply perfect.

The building has reach history (shame on me for not knowing what exactly) and one can easily see that in the interior design. Grand Lobby, the main restaurant looks like a 19 century palace, live piano music, etc. And exactly this history/style makes it not-suitable for families with kids. Hotel guests are primarily elderly couples dressed to impress even at breakfast (suits & ties, long dresses)

Rooms are small (perfect for couple but yet small) with small but modern bathrooms.
The spa is small and unimpressionable.
Also somewhat costly - you are paying for the location not the room or amenities.

Bottom line and the overall idea of this review - A must see location, perfect for luxurious weekend with your spouse (not so much for young couples) but do not bring the kids.
P.S. Bring your "dress-to-kill" clothes ;)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Nice quality in an old school kind of way. The room itself had a few gadgets with lights switches in drawers by the bed etc. It also had a printer - seemed to have been designed for business. That being said I know there are other rooms that were in many different styles.

Movie selection on TV was so so. Food in the hotel well overpriced as it would should be I suppose. Indoor pool was very very small - really not something you can swim laps in. Gym also quite small. This is what i mean by old fashioned.

The service to clean shoes was a nice touch. Staff across the board very friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple