“The Gate”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #16 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This is an awesome Hotel , step out of the front door and you are right on the Brandenburg Gate which is spectacular.
I loved the fantastic art around the hotel . The rooms are so 5 star London nice and traditional. Staff are efficient but not cold . I've stayed in a lot of nice places and this is right up there as a special venue.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Tyreman01
There are newer reviews for Hotel Adlon Kempinski

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife and I have just returned after a 2 night stay and we have to say that everything that we experienced at this Hotel was first class. Firstly all of the staff were so pleasant and wanting to help in anyway that they could. The atmosphere and ambience of the different parts of the Hotel just gave you that feeling of quality, the room was fantastic ( I admit we were upgraded to a wonderful suite overlooking the Brandenburg Gate) but even so everything looked excellent.
Then last night we had dinner in the Lorenz Adlon Esszimmer restaurant, it is not cheap but the food experience and fantastic staff was something special, if you possibly can try and eat there.

On top of all of this Berlin is a great city to visit!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark 2
Reviewed 15 May 2014

For years I have read of the fabled Adlon and the grandeur it evoked so when I had to come to Berlin for the first time I passed on the Regency (former Four Seasons) and De Rome for this historic site at the foot of the Brandenburg Gate.
I was surprised by its size. At nearly 400 rooms it was just a little too big to be personal; and it wasn't.
It's location and fame seemed to attract many gawkers and samplers and the lobby was always overflowing and one had to go around crowds to get to the elevator.
our room was on the small side. Yes it was newly refurbished but tight and the bath required one exhale to get into.
Someone had spent a lot of time and money electrifying the room but not enough thought to what modern traveling couples need most; plugs on either side of the bed, at night table height
so they can charge, but access their his and her I-phones. As it was I needed an extension cord which my wife kept tripping over.
Valet service was great but room service always seemed to be missing something; a spoon, a second cup, butter or milk. They were nice and polite but the errors added up.
All told, it was a pleasant stay and I am glad I tried the Adlon this time but if I go to Berlin I think I will try a smaller place further from the maddening crowd.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank venamo
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our five-hour walking tour of Berlin ended at the Brandenburg Gate and when the heavens opened we dashed to Hotel Adlon to rest our weary feet and grab a bite!

It is very fancy and we did feel somewhat out of place half-drenched and in trainers and jeans, especially when one of the doormen followed us in and asked us what where we were going!

However, once we'd found some tables and 'set up camp', we had a wonderful afternoon! There were six of us, four ordered afternoon tea, I ordered potato soup and water and another friend was happy with a large glass of red (10 euro)!

Afternoon tea (32 euro each) was presented very beautifully and went down very well, my soup (15 euro) was lovely too. It's absolutely beautiful inside the hotel but the service is a tad old-school stuffy. Prices are predictably high, which we were happy to pay being in such lovely surroundings, however 7.50 euro for a small bottle of still water did seem a tad over the top!

Overall, we had a wonderful two hours in the Adlon, however, the atmosphere is pretty 'stiff', which is easily overcome if you're in excellent company, but it might not be for everybody.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claireabel
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We've stayed on few occasions in Adlon and i must say apart from the fact that the rooms could do with a bit of updating everything else is good. Location is great, food also. All in all would recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Azsam1
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Even after reading about the Adlon Kempinski and its history, I was very impressed by the quality of everything at this hotel. The hotel is superbly presented, with an impressive lobby and delightful lounge. The room was large and very comfortable. The concierges are especially helpful with everything from restaurant recommendations and bookings to transport arrangements.

Given all that's offered by the hotel, it's very good value for the price.

The location is unbeatable: right next to the Brandenburg Gate, a very short walk to the Reichstag, and a slightly longer stroll to Museum Island.

Room Tip: The hotel is a large building - if you don't want to walk long distances to your room, ask for a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I requested a checkout one day early and was told I would not be responsible for the final night. I used the information and payed $750 to change my flight to one day earlier.

After changing my flight, I called from the room to confirm my early departure and was told otherwise by Nina. She insisted that I must provide the name of the person to whom I spoke or be charged. So I went back to the front desk and found the person who again confirmed that I would not be charged. There was no assumption on the part of Nina that I was telling the truth regarding my conversation with the front desk.

When I returned to my room Nina called again to confirm that indeed I was right, that I would not be charged and that she had amended my booking.

So I was surprised when checking out that I was indeed charged! Again the front desk staff was rude and obnoxious and demanded to know to whom I spoke and then held firm that no Nina worked there.

Frustrated, I left without completing the checkout and still have no idea what the end result will be.

I am shocked that a hotel of that level or any hotel would repeatedly fail at something so simple and then treat the customer as if they must prove themselves and remember every name of the people to whom they spoke regarding the subject.

Be nicer!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
kosinlay, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear esteemed reviewer,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post a review about your stay at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski. Your comments are very meaningful to us as we strive to offer you a superb product and an outstanding service to any guests while staying with us. I am sorry to read that we were not able to convince you of our service to the fullest. Please accept my sincere apology for the experienced circumstances.

In order to have a clear understanding of your situation I kindly ask you to contact me personally at maria.grueter (at) kempinski.com as I would like to receive further feedback on the described challenge.

I am looking forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to make you next stay a remarkable one.

With best regards,