“Great hotel, misinformed staff”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #16 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Chennai (Madras), India
“Great hotel, misinformed staff”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Adlon is a great hotel. Great breakfast, excellent service and very attentive staff at a fantastic location. My stay at Adlon was only tainted by one incident, where a front desk person informed me wife and I at the time of check in that the "Virtuoso credit" of 80Euro that was part of our package would be applicable to the room rate at the time of check out. Every piece of information given to me by the travel agent until this point said otherwise, namely, that this Virtuoso credit could only be used for anything other than the room rate. Both my wife and I double checked with the front desk person to make sure that we understood what he was saying. Sadly, on check-out, it was another person at the front desk who refused to honour the 80Eur towards the room rate. It seems that there is a communication issue between staff at the hotel. I received an email almost an entire month later from an apologetic manager, who found it necessary to remind me of the terms of the Virtuoso credit. Not very helpful, it would be nice if this hotel educated their staff better on special packages.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had a lovely experience staying at the Adlon in Berlin. It was the complete package with everything perfectly in sync, including the airport transfer, the check-in, the lovely meal at the restaurant, the room prepared to perfection and the elaborate breakfast before the departure. The Adlon team did an outstanding job and I can only offer praise and hope that I will soon have a chance for an extended stay. It is was simply superb!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 July 2014

What a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location! So close to the Brandenburg Gate and Tiergarten, we enjoyed our early morning walks through this large park. Great lobby to have drinks/coffee in, although there was a sign that said 'No photo' right in front of the lobby, which I found a bit strange but perhaps it's because of some famous guests? The room and bathroom was cozy and clean, we had a great room that was in front of the courtyard so it was very quiet. The bed was comfortable although the pillows were way too soft.

I am surprised at the other reviewers that were disappointed in the service, perhaps the hotel was busier then but I was very impressed with the service when we stayed. Check in was efficient, and the concierge staff was outstanding. They were very friendly and patiently answered any questions we threw at them, from directions to places, to booking train tickets, dinner reservations, and printing documents. I was even impressed with the form letter they gave us to remind us the details of our dinner reservations. I have never experienced this level of efficiency at concierges around the world. Also our concierge recommended us to try this restaurant, Volt, (since we could not get a reservation at the well known Michelin starred restaurants on our list) which was so amazing and needs a separate review. The breakfast buffet was impressive with their extensive choices and I was surprised they even had a token Asian corner with fried rice, noodles, and chicken satay (top tip: don't try the Asian breakfast in a German hotel).

There were only two downsides during our stay, 1) there was a lot of black mould in the crevices of the glass doors of the shower stall. I understand mould is not something that grows extensively in a dry European climate so it's not something cleaning staff look out for but it's the first thing I noticed when I took a shower (I hate mould), I mentioned it to the rooms staff before we left though so hopefully they fixed it. 2) There was a large World Cup fan park set up right behind Brandenburg Gate and so during match times the traffic was bad and lots of people walking to the park and they blocked off the entrance to the hotel so taxis could not park right in front. A bit inconvenient but a small price to pay for the fun World Cup atmosphere.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed for three nights and had two rooms for our family of five. The staff here is amazing! We had great experiences at the lobby bar and in the breakfast restaurants. First, you call for your morning wake up call and they offer complimentary tea or coffee. Your call comes in and then your coffee comes like five minutes later. Loved this! Then, you go downstairs and you are greeted by a hostess to let you know which restaurant can better accommodate you for breakfast. The breakfast which was included with our rooms was excellent, I agree with some of the reviews that the front desk experience was not as great and we sometimes had to stand in a line. Maybe additional staff in this area is needed with all the traffic in the hotel lobby.

The hotel does have an excellent location in the city. We visited during the USA versus Germany World Cup game and Berlin was an exciting place. We enjoyed all the energy here at the Adlon and truly hope to return one day. We stayed last summer at the Hotel George V in Paris and thought it had excellent service, but I think the Hotel Adlon is the best!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel has an amazing history and is in a stunning location but fails to deliver on basics.

The hotel is large, busy and impersonal. The staff are gruff and impatient as they struggle to handle the numbers drudging through the lobby. Check in was inefficient and on multiple occasions you needed to line up for service at the front desk or concierge. The rooms were clean and well appointed however you stay at a Kempinski for the service and on this occasion it was lacking.

The location can not be beaten and rooms are good. Use the hotel as a base to explore the city and you'll be fine. If you're looking for an inner-city escape - this isn't it.

Room Tip: The hotel is very spread out so you may be in for a long walk to the lobby!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LCOD88
HotelAdlonKempinski, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear esteemed guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your thoughts are very meaningful to us, as we strive to improve our service and product whenever possible. I am very sorry to read that your stay with the Hotel Adlon Kempinski was not up to your expectations. Please take my sincere apologies and be assured that your experienced service is not our standard.

Kindly contact me personally at maria.grueter (at) kempinski.com so that I have the chance to express my regret personally.

I am looking forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski to make your next stay with us a remarkable one.

Kind regards,
Maria Grüter
Hotel Manager
Palm Beach Gardens
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Beautiful hotel in a great location. Service is slow and inconsistent. Several of the concierge staff are impatient and not helpful. Do not expect the air conditioning to be very cool. We had to switch rooms twice to get a cooler room. Still, it was way too warm. The room they gave us was very noisy. When we requested a change, they offered us ear plugs. The most annoying thing was the breakfast. The price is 42 Euros per person and there is NO ALTERNATIVE! We had 3 people and breakfast was 126 Euros every day! There is no place nearby to get breakfast. If I come to Berlin again, I would not stay here. It is not worth the money.

Room Tip: Check your room before you move your bags into the room. If you don't like your room, ask for a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank rmh12345
Dear esteemed reviewer,

Sincere thank you for taking the time to compose this review and to share your experience with us. We appreciate your valuable comments as they help us to improve your guest experience. We strive to offer you a superb product and an outstanding service on every day of the year. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski. I would like to apologize for the occurred inconveniences and reassure you that this is not our standard.

We take pride in serving the needs of our guests to make their stay remarkable and unforgettable.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Maria Grüter
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights. Absolutely loved it. Location is perfect for tourists and the Spa is something else. Only drawback is it depends where you are staying in the hotel you could be in for quite a walk to Spa and entrance of hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family