“Comfortable and central location........”

The Westin Grand Berlin
Ranked #113 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 13 September 2009

We chose the Westin Grand based on the fact that we redeemed our Starwood points. This probably would not have been my first choice if I was actually paying to stay here.

The hotel is centrally located and Berlin is at your door. The hotel is very clean and comfortable (along with the amazingly comfortable Westin Heavenly bed) The staff and concierge were very helpful with dinner reservations and touring ideas. The only drawback is the expensive breakfast as mentioned by several reviewers. We found an excellent breakfast around the block in a charming french style bistro for 9 Euros. We didn't feel breakfast was worth 29 Euros.

Overall you can't go wrong with the Westin Grand.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tgh60660
There are newer reviews for The Westin Grand Berlin

Reviewed 9 September 2009

Yes it's a five star hotel , friendly concierge , new rooms , best location near public bus stop and U-metro but I do not understand the reason that breakfast is 29 euro for person , the internet connection is also expansive , in the room there is not a coffee maker .
In the hall ( splendid ) there are only two seats with no possibility to read a newspaper or a book or your personal things . I reccomend this hotel if you want a high-class hotel in your stay in Berlin .

Reviewed 4 September 2009

Great hotel great room nice staff but why oh why oh why do they rip people off by charging them 20 euro a day to use the internet- nobody in their right mind would pay that.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I cannot believe the rate we got for a long week-end at this fabulous hotel. The room was one of the best I have stayed in. The staff were friendly. The lobby is beautiful and the cocktails from the lobby bar are perfect.

The hotel location is perfect for any visitor to the city wishing to tour the sights. The cafes, bars and restaurants in the near-by Gendamenmarkt are ideal for lazy afternoon people watching or casual evening dining

Reviewed 31 August 2009

Just back from a weekend in Berlin and during my stay I stayed at The Westin Grand Hotel Berlin, This large 7 story hotel is located in Berlin Mitte, a really great location to all attractions and along the famous boulevard unter den linden.

When we arrived, we arrived into what seems to be a film crew filing the outside lobby of the hotel, our taxi couldn’t pull into the hotel therefore we had to get out on the other side of the street and as concierge was no where in sight we had to lift our own luggage into the hotel, . When I arrive at a 5 star hotel, I expect to have my luggage taken from the car to the room and vice versa and not for me to haul it around myself.
The main lobby is really large, very spacious, and very grand the main staircase is the focal point of the lobby rather than the reception desks which is literally off to a corner in it self.

Checking in was quick, the touch of hospitality was missing and we just didn’t feel welcome. Yet again concierge was missing to help with our luggage nor were we asked if anyone could help us. We arrived to our room which in disappointment was not what we asked for; we checked into a twin room rather than a king size room with what they called a deluxe city room which in fact was over looking a loading bay. I went down stairs with my partner and so we complained as we were staying there 3 nights and didn’t really want a twin room with a horrible view for our nights there. The receptionist didn’t want to help at first and argued with us and basically said a few harsh uncaring words and when my partner intervened he looked up the booking and found that reservations made a mistake, as an apology he upgraded us to the superior room. To us, I found that really nice.

Arriving in the superior room really lived up to its name, it was a large quiet toned room, large king size bed, large flat screen, lounge chair, office desk and chair, large wardrobes, coffee and tea making facilities, safe, side and reading lamps, lovely bathroom with both shower and ceiling rain shower, really nice and what I was really looking for! The cherry on the cake was the view! The view of the room over looked Unter den Linden, on the right your view was the Berlin TV Tower and Berlin Dom and on the left was the view of the Dome on the Reichstag. Even better were the windows with blocked out the noise and traffic.

As always in Westin Hotel, the breakfast was delicious; however there were a lot what seemed to be package holiday guests where a herd of cows had more manners, waiting patiently was a word I think they never heard of. The breakfast staff were really great, friendly and attentive and therefore we thought it necessary to tip as many of the staff did a really good job.

The lounge in the hotel is really nice, the bar is located at the steps of the grand stair case with the restaurant at the far corner, the seating area is really loungie, laid back and comfortable, also good service in both food and drinks and the staff I found to be really nice.

The spa however was very disappointing for a hotel of that size, the swimming pool is round and fairly small, 4 or 5 strokes pending on how long your arms are and you are at one end of the pool, there is a whirl pool and a sauna where you have to pay 8 Euros to use. There is a relaxing / seating area around the pool where it is never clean, there are towels what people have used from early in the day left on the chairs and un removed. There is a bar by the pool but no bar man to serve you, you can find him out in reception flirting with the female receptionists.

In all, I will stay in this hotel again and see what service I get again and booking a better room the superior or junior suite rooms over looking unter den linden which was recommended by the check out clerk, I would stay for the location, the rooms, the food and the ambience. I think concierge needs to concentrate on their skills and the spa area needs improvement but in all it is a great hotel, with a great location and grand features in the heart of Berlin.

1  Thank euroboyde
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We came to The Westin this Friday afternoon by car and was greeted by the valet who took our suitcases and offered to park our car in a nearby carpark which was a great start for our stay. At reception we were equally friendly greeted and the porter too us to our room on the 6th floor. A very nice and comfortable room. The next morning we went to the breakfast restaurant and here we were charged € 29 per person for breakfast. I agree it was a great breakfast but it was also a great price which I think should be lowered by about 20%. On Saturday we had decided to have the open air barbecue, but as it was a bit chilly we decided to have dinner at the hotel restaurant Relish, but that was a mistake.
The waiter told us that we could sit anywhere, but that he did prefer that we took a table in the the lobby which we declined and choose the restaurant as we wanted some privacy. Drinks were then offered and came quickly together with the menu. And then absolutely nothing happened for 18 minutes although more guests had come into the restaurant. Finally the waiter appeared and took our order for the meal and for a bottle of house red wine. According to the menu the wine was supposed to be a 2003 vintage but he brought a 2001 vintage. I told him so, and his remark was that alle the house wines he had served were the same and he never checked the year. Whe he opened the bottle and poured a small amount into the glass there was plenty of residue from the corck but he pretended not to notice. Again after waiting a long time for the lobster starter it arrived, but the bisque was lukewarm. The rest of the meal still took a long time to be served and twice we had to ask the waiter to fill our glasses as he had placed the bottle far away from our table although I told him to place it on our table which apparently was against the rules.
I do think that the waiter had far too many tables to look after and not until all the tables in the restaurant were occupied did a second waiter appear. This meal was a serious disappointment to us as we had a special occasion to celebrate. Especially as everything else in the hotel worked perfectly.

Reviewed 23 August 2009

This hotel is in an excellent location within easy reach of all the tourist sites, many of which are in walking distance - although the public transport in Berlin is very good and easy to use. The public areas are stunning and my room was clean and very comfortable, especially the bed! The hotel was a pleasure to come back to after a day's sightseeing. Although a large hotel, it was very quiet, I heard no noise at all during my stay. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. I'd definitely go back to Berlin, which is an amazing city, and would stay in the Westin Grand again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo