“good luxus hotel”

Hilton Berlin
Ranked #67 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 January 2009

The location of the hotel is very good. It is directly at the "Gendarmenmarkt" and not far away from the street "Unter den Linden" and the "Brandenburger Tor". The underground station is only 50 meters away. The lobby is very beautiful an the staff at the reception is very friendly and helpful. The corridors and the rooms are not very luxurious. The bathroom and the flatscreen tv are the most modern things. The bed is very comfortable. I woud only recommend an executive room at the 6th floor. There you have the possibility to visit the executive lounge. There you get your breakfast in the morning, coffee the whole day and fingerfood in the evening. Until 11 p.m. you get different sorts of wine, beer an other driks for example Glenfiddich Whisky. And all those things are included if you book an executive room. The other advantage of this lounge is, that you dont have to eat your breakfast with for about 100 other guests because this lounge is only for the guests of the 6th floor. With the bar "Trader Vic's" you have a good opinion to go out in the evening directly in the hotel. There is also a business center and a pool. The roomservice is very good and the prices are high, but fair for such an hotel. All in all a hotel with very good service with old looking rooms.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 January 2009

Stayed for 4 nights over Christmas.
Check in was smooth and friendly. The room was really big. We had reserved a deluxe room plus which basically is a junior suite.
The room had one king bed and a small living room with sofa and chair and writing desk. It had a big flatscreen tv.
The bathroom was the best part: it was really big! almost as much as the living room! it had 2 sinks and separate tub and shower. All the usual great toiletries were there as well as bathrobe and slippers. The room also had a small dressing area with lots of space for luggage and clothes and a safe.
All in all the hotel was really pleasant. Did not have any problem during the stay and personnel was really nice.
Dined at Mark Brandenburg Restaurant and loved it. Both the food and the decor!
Did not have the buffet breakfast since we do not usually eat a lot at breafast and it costed 23 euros. For 12 euros you can have a small continental breakfast in the Wintergarten which we found more than enough. Anyway there are plenty of bars near the hotel as well as a Starbucks a 5 mins walk away.
What we enjoyed most was the location, right on Gendarmenmarkt in the centre of Berlin.
I would definitely choose this hotel again for my next Berlin visit.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2008

My husband and I just got back from a six-day stay in Berlin, Germany, over Christmas. We chose to stay at the Hilton, since we were able to cash in some of his award points for two free nights, making it a great deal for us.

The Hilton is located in Mitte (the center of Berlin) and was within walking distance of most of the sights we wanted to visit (i.e. the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, the Fernsehturm or TV Tower and the Pergamon Museum). The hotel is rather conveniently located right next to the U-bahn stop Stadtmitte, so getting to other areas of the city was very easy.

We were also pleased to find that the hotel was adjacent to the Gendarmenmarkt and not far from the Opernpalais and Alexanderplatz, since all three locations hosted lovely Christmas markets.

Our room in the Hilton was on the fifth floor, facing the interior courtyard. This didn't provide us with a great view, but it was very quiet. The room was not very big by American standards but it was large by European standards. It was nicely furnished, though it didn't really seem up to a five-star rating. The room had a king size bed with two twin-size comforters (typical for Germany), a desk and desk chair, an armchair, a nightstand, a dresser, a large flat screen tv, a small minibar and a small closet. The bathroom was very nice (it may have been recently remodeled, as it seemed nicer than the rest of the room), with a shower/tub, a toilet, a sink with lots of counter space to put your toiletries and heated mirrors that didn't fog up during showers.

One of my only complaints about the room was the lack of a thermostat. There was a dial on the wall that you could use to turn the heat up and a fan on, but we could never get the room to be much cooler without opening the windows. Even with the dial set to its lowest setting and the fan off, my travel clock said the room was still 74 degrees.

The hotel is large, with a beautiful and spacious lobby area and several restaurants and bars. We ate at the Mark Brandenburg Restaurant on Christmas Eve, and the food was excellent. It was a fixed 4-course menu, but we enjoyed every course. The restaurant was large, but it had a nice elegant but cozy atmosphere.

The breakfast buffet was very expensive (24 Euros per person), but it was quite hearty with lots of options. We ate a big breakfast there every day, and it kept us full through dinner-time.

The staff at the hotel were all very helpful and courteous. Every single person we spoke with (from reception to housekeeping) was incredibly nice and happy to help us with anything we needed.

I'm not sure that the hotel merits its five-star rating, but I would recommend it to a friend and/or stay there again if I could find a good deal. The great location and excellent staff made our stay there very enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy K
Reviewed 26 December 2008

I spent eight nights at the Hilton in Berlin - I mostly used the room to sleep; nothing more, nothing less.

Even though my room was on the fifth floor, it had a rather unspectacular view on the house vis-à-vis. The room was comfortable, but not very big (still more than enough for a single occupancy). The bed was comfortable and I immediately got a warmer blanket when I requested it. The bathroom seemed to be recently refurbished and was nice.

So nothing to complain about the 'technicalities' of the room. The décor, however, was not really to my taste: it combined brown and grey furniture (brrr); also the dark carpet and the worn armchair didn't really contribute to my personal coziness.

In the end, the room corresponded very much to what I expect from an average American chain hotel. But is a five star Hilton supposed to be 'the average'?

I did not appreciate at all that the hotel separately charges for sauna use (10 or 12 €, I don't recall). From my point of view this kind of service should be included in the price of a five star hotel. Luckily, as a member of HHonors, I got access for free (but the place was nothing special).

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: the location and the staff were great.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2008

stayed for weekend, good points are location and excellent staff. the breakfast was also wonderful. down side. the bed was awful, far too soft and gave no support. it actually made trying to get to sleep difficult. also our room 8004 stunk of smoke. we should have complained but by the time we had arrived were too tired. i left the window open most of the time to try and get rid of the smokey smell.also there was very high step in and out of the shower which some people might find difficult.. for a luxury hotel i felt a bit let down

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mnossel
Reviewed 7 December 2008

Stayed at the "5 Star" Hilton Berlin for two nights to experience the Christmas Markets and celebrate my friends birthday. We we allocated room 5088 which looked over an internal courtyard so very quiet but no view. Most importantly the room appeared clean and well maintained. The size of the room was adequate but the luxurious touches I would have expected from a hotel of this standard were in my opinion poor. There were robes (not very large, soft or fluffy) and slippers, small, thin towels (in fact my friends had to share a towel). King size bed (plus added squeaky springs) with two single duvets. Minimal tea & coffee (one cup per day) and mini bar. The room also had ironing facilites. There was a pool and spa but I don't have experience them. With last minute it was room only so no idea what the breakfast was like. The redeeming point was the hotel's location which was superb. If you can get a room at a good price I would stay here but if paying rack rate there are other hotels with far superior facilities available in Berlin

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 December 2008

I would highly recommend the Berlin Hilton for its cleanliness, friendly and helpful staff, and for its' central location to most of the historical sites.

While we were there the annual Marathon run was on and the transportation above ground was virtually shut down for the afternoon so we took a hop-on-hop-off bus tour in the morning, took a boat cruise in the afternoon, and walked for the balance of our time
The only negatives that I have are with all of the Hilton Hotels - exorbitant internet rates and breakfast buffets. Unless you take the buffet there is no other breakfast option and coffee and an egg with toast is not worth 22-25 Euros.

Obviously it is not enough to keep us away, we just find alternatives outside the hotel. One we enjoyed was the Lowenbrau restaurant around the corner from the Hilton complete traditional German foods and with a full band on Saturday night.