“Deserves it's 4.5 bubbles!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Berlin
Ranked #49 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Deserves it's 4.5 bubbles!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

The Hilton Berlin definitely deserves it's 4.5 TA rating. I've stayed in a few Hiltons throughout the world and this was one of the best.

Fantastically situated for a Xmas/New Year break. Directly opposite the Gendarmentmrkt for the Christmas Market and New Year fireworks/festivities (in which we partook!). Very family orientated rather than the party area down at the Brandenberg Gate.

U-bahn directly outside the hotel on lines U2 and U6 which were direct to Alexanderplatz/TV Tower, Potsdamer Platz and Checkpoint Charlie with just a short 10 min or so walk from Potsdamer Platz northwards taking in the Holocaust Memorial to the Reichstag Building. All in all, brilliant for a short two day trip (which is what we did!).

Service and rooms were great. Towels, slippers, easy to use room safe and very courteous room service. We even had a lovely view overlooking the Gendarmenmarkt. Taxis sit right outside the hotel (even at 6am) for your airport transfers if you wish. We didn't eat in the hotel as I had heard previously that it was a bit of a rip off but there are so many places in this area of Berlin, it really isn't an issue.

It wasn't cheap but then it's a capital city and the exchange rate £/Euro is simply shocking at the mo so you get what you pay for.

Highly recommended for family - we had a wonderful time!

• Liked — Location, service and closeness to public transport
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Palm Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2009

We checked into the Berlin Hilton for a 2 night stay at the Berlin Hilton and were very impressed.

The pictures online aren't that flattering, so we were a bit apprehensive. But I'm happy to report that it's a beautiful property. The lobby and common areas are in terrific shape. The front desk and conceigre were all very warm, friendly and helpful. The rooms were tastefully done. The furniture and bathrooms were in great shape.

The nicest surprise was the club room. We stayed on the club floor so we had access to the lounge. They had an amazing breakfast everyday and the soft drinks and food throughout the day was excellent.

As a Hilton Diamond member, I have a number of Hilton experiences to compare this hotel with. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable, good funishings
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank EvanPSP
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

My friends and I stayed here over Christmas. The hotel was in an excellent location, super close to the U Bahn and 2 Christmas markets and lots of attractions in walking distance.
We spent Christmas eve in the Trader Vics bar where we had a great time. The service was excellent and the cocktails were interesting!
We had Christmas dinner in the Mark Brandenburg Restaurant, the food was good, however the service was a bit offhand at times, super at others.
The we had a room on the 3rd floor and our friends were on the 5th floor. Both our rooms were a good hike from the lifts, while there seemed plenty of vacant rooms closer to the lifts. The rooms were clean and well presented. I think the décor was a little dowdy and not very modern. However this is just my personal taste.
We asked to be in a non smoking room, however the halls in our floor had a very distinctive smell of smoke, which wasn’t very pleasant in the morning for us non smokers!
My only major issue I had with hotel was an issue with our towels. We had hung up our towels to re- use in the evening (as suggested by the hotel if we wanted to reuse our towels). However we found that they had been relocated when they had made up the room and my sister and I had no idea who’s towel was who’s. The next day, because of this mix up we placed our towels in the bath (as directed by the hotel if we required new towels), when we came back to our room, the same towels were hung up again, complete with make up marks! I know it’s a slight detail, however its these small details that make a average hotel a great hotel.

Overall not a bad hotel, the concierge and check in staff were lovely and they did grant us a late check out at no extra cost.
I would stay at the hotel again, however its more of a hotel for people 40+ and families rather than 25-30’s.

• Liked — The location was great!
  • Disliked — smell of smoke in hallways
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
Bavaria, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

The location of the hotel is very good. It is directly at the "Gendarmenmarkt" and not far away from the street "Unter den Linden" and the "Brandenburger Tor". The underground station is only 50 meters away. The lobby is very beautiful an the staff at the reception is very friendly and helpful. The corridors and the rooms are not very luxurious. The bathroom and the flatscreen tv are the most modern things. The bed is very comfortable. I woud only recommend an executive room at the 6th floor. There you have the possibility to visit the executive lounge. There you get your breakfast in the morning, coffee the whole day and fingerfood in the evening. Until 11 p.m. you get different sorts of wine, beer an other driks for example Glenfiddich Whisky. And all those things are included if you book an executive room. The other advantage of this lounge is, that you dont have to eat your breakfast with for about 100 other guests because this lounge is only for the guests of the 6th floor. With the bar "Trader Vic's" you have a good opinion to go out in the evening directly in the hotel. There is also a business center and a pool. The roomservice is very good and the prices are high, but fair for such an hotel. All in all a hotel with very good service with old looking rooms.

• Liked — Service of the hotel staff
  • Disliked — unmodern rooms
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Lecco, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

Stayed for 4 nights over Christmas.
Check in was smooth and friendly. The room was really big. We had reserved a deluxe room plus which basically is a junior suite.
The room had one king bed and a small living room with sofa and chair and writing desk. It had a big flatscreen tv.
The bathroom was the best part: it was really big! almost as much as the living room! it had 2 sinks and separate tub and shower. All the usual great toiletries were there as well as bathrobe and slippers. The room also had a small dressing area with lots of space for luggage and clothes and a safe.
All in all the hotel was really pleasant. Did not have any problem during the stay and personnel was really nice.
Dined at Mark Brandenburg Restaurant and loved it. Both the food and the decor!
Did not have the buffet breakfast since we do not usually eat a lot at breafast and it costed 23 euros. For 12 euros you can have a small continental breakfast in the Wintergarten which we found more than enough. Anyway there are plenty of bars near the hotel as well as a Starbucks a 5 mins walk away.
What we enjoyed most was the location, right on Gendarmenmarkt in the centre of Berlin.
I would definitely choose this hotel again for my next Berlin visit.

• Liked — Location, Big Bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

My husband and I just got back from a six-day stay in Berlin, Germany, over Christmas. We chose to stay at the Hilton, since we were able to cash in some of his award points for two free nights, making it a great deal for us.

The Hilton is located in Mitte (the center of Berlin) and was within walking distance of most of the sights we wanted to visit (i.e. the Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, the Fernsehturm or TV Tower and the Pergamon Museum). The hotel is rather conveniently located right next to the U-bahn stop Stadtmitte, so getting to other areas of the city was very easy.

We were also pleased to find that the hotel was adjacent to the Gendarmenmarkt and not far from the Opernpalais and Alexanderplatz, since all three locations hosted lovely Christmas markets.

Our room in the Hilton was on the fifth floor, facing the interior courtyard. This didn't provide us with a great view, but it was very quiet. The room was not very big by American standards but it was large by European standards. It was nicely furnished, though it didn't really seem up to a five-star rating. The room had a king size bed with two twin-size comforters (typical for Germany), a desk and desk chair, an armchair, a nightstand, a dresser, a large flat screen tv, a small minibar and a small closet. The bathroom was very nice (it may have been recently remodeled, as it seemed nicer than the rest of the room), with a shower/tub, a toilet, a sink with lots of counter space to put your toiletries and heated mirrors that didn't fog up during showers.

One of my only complaints about the room was the lack of a thermostat. There was a dial on the wall that you could use to turn the heat up and a fan on, but we could never get the room to be much cooler without opening the windows. Even with the dial set to its lowest setting and the fan off, my travel clock said the room was still 74 degrees.

The hotel is large, with a beautiful and spacious lobby area and several restaurants and bars. We ate at the Mark Brandenburg Restaurant on Christmas Eve, and the food was excellent. It was a fixed 4-course menu, but we enjoyed every course. The restaurant was large, but it had a nice elegant but cozy atmosphere.

The breakfast buffet was very expensive (24 Euros per person), but it was quite hearty with lots of options. We ate a big breakfast there every day, and it kept us full through dinner-time.

The staff at the hotel were all very helpful and courteous. Every single person we spoke with (from reception to housekeeping) was incredibly nice and happy to help us with anything we needed.

I'm not sure that the hotel merits its five-star rating, but I would recommend it to a friend and/or stay there again if I could find a good deal. The great location and excellent staff made our stay there very enjoyable.

• Liked — The location and the friendly staff
  • Disliked — Room temperature
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathy K
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2008

I spent eight nights at the Hilton in Berlin - I mostly used the room to sleep; nothing more, nothing less.

Even though my room was on the fifth floor, it had a rather unspectacular view on the house vis-à-vis. The room was comfortable, but not very big (still more than enough for a single occupancy). The bed was comfortable and I immediately got a warmer blanket when I requested it. The bathroom seemed to be recently refurbished and was nice.

So nothing to complain about the 'technicalities' of the room. The décor, however, was not really to my taste: it combined brown and grey furniture (brrr); also the dark carpet and the worn armchair didn't really contribute to my personal coziness.

In the end, the room corresponded very much to what I expect from an average American chain hotel. But is a five star Hilton supposed to be 'the average'?

I did not appreciate at all that the hotel separately charges for sauna use (10 or 12 €, I don't recall). From my point of view this kind of service should be included in the price of a five star hotel. Luckily, as a member of HHonors, I got access for free (but the place was nothing special).

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: the location and the staff were great.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the sauna - not included in the price!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business