“Amazing place”

and up
Private Guided Walking Tour of Jewish Berlin History
Ranked #244 of 939 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: A quiet 98-acre Jewish cemetery in East Berlin.
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Very worthwhile to visit! So impressed by the beauty and size of the monuments. The cemetary's entrance has a memorial to the Holocaust victims. I visited on November 9th, the anniversary of Kristallnacht and was pleased to see a contingent of Berlin politicians who held a ceremony and laid flowers to honor the victims.

3  Thank SusanNYC_12

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Colossal monuments that no-one longer cares for.
Of course they are looked after, but more as a museum, than a cemetary.
One can only speculate in the wealth of families, reflected in the in many "monumental" graves. The peacefulness is broken by historical knowledge.
I hope the people burried there are resting in peace.

2  Thank Morten H
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Very interesting place with more than 0.1 mio people buried there, the place is so big and one can get easily lost in there.

The cemetery doesn't give you an eery feel but just an overall feeling of sadness. Because although a lot of people buried there passed away before WWII, some the graves are now overgrown with plants and unkempt, it makes you realise that it is because they may not have descendants left due to the war to look after them.

We also walked past a gravestone of a young jewish pilot who died fighting for his country in WWI, which reminded us that the Jews were as German as any!

This place will be UNESCO soon, see it before the crowds!

Reviewed 23 August 2010

We visited Weisensee as part of a trip to Berlin for those of us who were born there and forced to flee for our lives in the 1930's.

My parents and I left in 1938 and 1939. I was two.

My grandmother died in 1938 and was buried at the Jewish cemetary in Berlin.

In my family photo albums I have a picture of her headstone as it looked when they left.
In their hearts they carried the memory but of her reality, only the photograph of the tombstone remains.

As a child I often wondered why there were pictures of tombstones in the family album. Now I understand. It's all we have of them.

Two of my three children were with me when we went to Weisensee. My husband too came along and we found, with difficulty my grandmother's tombstone. After all these years it was hidden in a dense forest of tall trees; overgrown with ivy and other plants.
Waiting in hushed, green silence for someone to come and leave a stone - to remember.

We were all in tears - unexpectedly moved and aching from the loss of our grandmother, great grandmother, our lives, our history, our family, our connection to the past and our people.

We walked long paths amond many, many lost and lonely tombstones. People fortunate to be buried with dignity and remembered with verses, names and dates.
Some had spaces awaiting their partners.....and it never happened.

My other grandmother is not buried anywhere I can find her. Escaping to Poland to avoid the Nazi's, she went from the one fire to a deeper, darker one. We never heard from her, and my aunt and uncle who went with her, again after 1942.

I imagine them on a cattle car, or in a ditch - buried somewhere without any marker or remembrance. No place for a pebble or stone to be left. Maybe at the train station like in Grunewald; or maybe at the entrance to Auschwitz. Maybe their hair and shoes in the piles left behind. No picture of this grandmother's tombstone.

So Weisensee stands for them all. All those lucky enough to have died and been buried by their loved ones in dignity and repose.

Yes, by all means go and visit. Leave stones on the sad and neglected ones. Let them know that you were there and they are not forgotten. But take your hankerchieves - it's no easy journey into the past.

29  Thank timetraveler2010
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Weissensee Jewish Cemetery is an amazing place - both for it's architecture and its link to a period before WWII when Berlin was the epicenter of Jewish culture, when it was a magnet for artists, writers and actors of all nationalities - a city of coffee houses and cabarets, alive with life.

I first went there when I was living in East Berlin for a month in 1988, when it was still a divided city. It was a refuge from socialist realism architecture and an oppressive communist dictatorship. It was also like stepping back in time to when Weissensee was part of a whole Berlin and Jews were a wealthy, respected merchant class, major contributors to the wealth of the city and its culture.

The gravestones and mausoleums are a mix between Italian Neorenaissance and Art Nouveau ("Jugendstil"). The craftsmanship is amazing - from wrought iron to mosaics to stone work.

There are famous people buried there also, although I never tracked any of them down. For more info go here: http://www.simplyberlin.org/around-the-city/judischer-friedhof-weisensee

6  Thank croyston