“Great stay”

Ranked #118 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I love the design of this hotel, very cool and trendy. Service was ok and rooms clean.

Good location, easy walk to the center.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The Tryp is a pretty new hotel, centrally located near the Museum of Natural history. Easy to get to with the underground and close to the main station.
Nicely done with clean rooms with ac. Good breakfast buffet.
All very clean and professional. Just as it should be.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Brand new hotel, impressive rooms. But let down by unwelcoming and unfriendly staff. Location ok.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ali_travelling
London
Reviewed 4 June 2011

The Tryp Berlin is a luxurious hotel, just 6 months old and very modern. However, because it is so new, not many businesses in the area actually know of it's existence. Part of my reason for selecting this hotel was it's proximity to the U-Bahn (just 1 min from Naturkunde Museum), in the summer it is not visible from the exit as ithe sign is obstructed by foliage. So I would recommend exiting from the lift, crossing the road to the LHS and then taking a left for maybe 100m, you'll then see the hotel. The hotel is on fact located directly opposite the junction of Chausseestrasse and Habersaathstrasse. If you get as far as Subway / Balzac Coffee / the junction with Invalidenstrasse, you have headed in the opposite direction to the hotel.

The location of the hotel was fine, I'm happy to walk everywhere anyway and it was just 5 mins to the junction with Friedrichstrasse (Orianenburger Tor U-Bahn. There is plenty of nightlife close by, and Berlin is a very safe city, but the location meant that the road was quieter in the evenings than more central hotels. I wouldn't recomend walking north of the hotel, it is just on the edge of the centre and there is nothing going on beyond, although there is considerable construction (new hotels??).

The hotel reception was open and spacious, with a modern bar. The male staff members were welcoming and informative, but I think some of the female staff perhaps needed a bit more training, they neither particularly friendly nor efficient, but this is a very minor niggle. What it did mean was that reception could be very busy when patrons arrived concurrently.

I was allowed to check in before time (12.30pm) but my request for an upgraded room away from the road could only be met if I checked in after 3pm, and I was happy with what I was given as I'm not bothered by traffic noise. If you are, you should be aware that the road outside is reasoinably busy, and that the tram runs right outside too! (The premium rooms are on the 6th flr, so I'm guessing that the hotel is cleaned from the bottom to top).

I was happy with my double room, which was comfortable and stylish although minimalist, there was a nice mini-bar with space for additional small bottles although the safe's positioning on top of this was I think a design error as the contents became rather hot. The bed was large and comfortable, and their were both privacy and blackout blinds. As noted in previous posts, the bathroom was lovely, the shower in particular was well-designed, designed not to flood no matter what the angle of the showerhead, and the tiles dried quickly. The hairdryer was much better than expected, it did well to tame my curly mass. I was very mindful of the cleaning, in fact housekeeping asked me whether they could clean my room just 1 hr after I had arrived, which wasn't necessary, Based on that, I left the do not disturb sign on my room whenever I was in it, and staff were generally unobtrusive. The toiletries were fine, but could be eratically replaced. The gym on the 6th floor was small but more than adequate, and importantly accessible 24/7. The sauna had more restricted times (6am-10pm I think), and required a member of staff to be informed before using these outside these times. I didn't try the bar or dining facilities, but would say that E3.00 for a cup of coffee is not a lot to pay compared to the prices charged by the numerous coffee shops in Berlin.

The only thing that I would change would be the cost of the wi-fi, it would have been preferable to me if this had been offered foc. The nearest free wi-fi point I located was at a cafe on Invalidenstrasse, 3 mins away and just down from the Mercure Hotel, but this never seemd to be open! Starbucks gives 2 free hours of wifi, the nearest branch is on Frierichstrasse (just past the station on the LHS of the road, a 10 min walk away) although Balzac Coffee is actualy far tastier! I would also highly recommend the Michelin-starred Weinbar Rutz which is just down the road, and avoiding the Bellini Lounge on Orianenburger Strasse.

Berlin is a fantastic 24-hr city, the negatives I have mentioned are very minor niggles, and did not detract from my great experience at this hotel. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at Tryp very much and would not hesitate to recommend this to others.

Room Tip: Arrive after 3pm!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank I-veritas
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We loved this place although we booked it on last minute.com as a mystery deal. We only paid $50 per night total but this place is worth a lot more. Very clean and spacious rooms. Great amenities and excellent location. Although it isnt in the heart of the attractions this location is a short walk to good restaurants and right next to the metro stop.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 17 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at Tryp earlier this month for his birthday. We had received a discounted rate, and in the end of our stay we agreed that it was definitely excellent value.

All staff that we dealt with were friendly and helpful; we arrived too early in the morning to receive a room straight away but we left our suitcases behind in a secured room with a tag system. Our bed was very large (two single beds put together, mattresses slightly too hard) and the bedroom well decorated and designed. The bathroom had a large shower but no bath. Plenty of tv channels. We did not order wifi because at 10 euro an hour we felt it was too expensive. The cafe Mr Vertigo nearby had free wifi however, as does the Sony Centre in Potzdamer Platz.

The hotel is very close to the Naturkundemuseum (previously named 'Zinnowitzer') U-bahn station on the U6 line. We took a taxi to the Tegel airport from the hotel, which took only 20 minutes and cost under 20 euro.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but I would recommend Chipps on Friedrichstasse, where we ate twice and enjoyed.

Room Tip: Ask reception on check in for a king-sized room.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hellojed
UK
Reviewed 15 May 2011

First impressions of the hotel were good, stylish lobby and friendly desk staff. Room was modern and clean. Our room had all the facilities needed apart from a kettle/coffee making facilities. For some reason Spanish owned hotels are reluctant to supply these in rooms which is a pity as a cup of tea in the comfort of your own room after a day's sightseeing is what many travellers require. The bed was two twins together wih cosy duvets, mattresses were high but unfortunately very uncomfortable and hard. No wifi connection in rooms.
Did not eat here as breakfast is 16 euros, there are several bakers and cafes on the street where you can pick up a good breakfast to take away or eat in.
At first the location seemed out of the way but we soon realised that the U bahn and S bahn next to the hotel had such good links that we could get anywhere we wanted easily. In the evening we took the train one or two stops to Friedrichstrasse or Oranienburger Strasse where there are plenty of places to eat and a lively atmosphere.
The general area was interesting and in the former east part of the city. Have also stayed in the Ku'damm area in a more expensive hotel but would rather stay here. The hotel was great value and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business