“Like trying to sleep on the autobahn.”

Hotel Berlin Mitte By Melia
Ranked #102 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is a modern hotel which claims to be 4 star. Indeed the rooms are clean and tidy but after that there are significant problems with it being called a 4 star hotel. Firstly the hotel is on a main road and the traffic noise is continuous for 24 hours. It is not possible therefore to have the windows open. Even then, the glazing is so poor that road noise is still an issue. Added to this, the air conditioning is erratic at best and despite our efforts we could not get the temperature in the room below 22 degrees. Given both these factors and despite the fact that the beds are comfortable, sleep is virtually impossible. Another issue is the Wifi which for a 4 star hotel, indeed any hotel these days, should be free but is not. The wardrobes have no shelves at all so you need to literally live out of your suitcase. OK maybe for a day or two but no longer. Again you would expect tea/coffee making facilities as standard in a 4 star hotel but these are not present. The bathroom, whilst a nice size with a good shower has no fan so after a minute or so you are in a fog. The towel rail on the sink has a 2 centimetre gap to hang the towel so it ends up on the floor nearly all the time.

On the plus side the staff are all friendly and helpful and the hotel is very near a station for travelling around.

This hotel seems to be all about style over substance and whilst that is not always a bad thing the design issues are so bad that a rethink is needed about what is important to guests.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Holidaydad55
Benjamin K, Leiter Front Office at Hotel Berlin Mitte By Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear guest,

On behalf of the team of the Tryp Berlin Mitte we would like to thank you for taking time to share your feedback about your stay.

We are happy that you were satisfied with our friendly and helpful hotel staff. And that our hotel is centrally located so that our guests have good access to public transportation.

We regret the inconvenience you have experienced with the location of your room and the air condition and as well the internet service.

Free high speed internet access is provide if you book one of our premium rooms which have other benefits such as espresso machine, bathrobe and slippers and high quality bathroom amenities. The premium rooms are also available with a quite location to the courtyard.

We hope we can welcome you again and perhaps you will decide to book our premium category.

Kind regards

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,352)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked a couple of nights here after a holiday a couple of hours drive away before flight home. Was more than impressed as we had paid £75 a night and felt this hotel delivered well for that money. Have seen that some have had deals much cheaper but I felt that price was very good for a city hotel of this standard. Everywhere seemed fresh and tastefully done. Slept quite well but the room was hot even though I set temperature as low as possible (20C). There where two windows which you could open, no noise problem. Had everything we needed, great shower, lashings of instant hot water. We bought wifi at 4.95 Euro, this was high speed for 24 hours for up to 5 devices. We did try the free wifi but this was hopeless and the limit was exceeded before I could do anything but check a couple of emails! You can get replenishments for this as often as you wish but couldn't be bothered with the hassle.
Had a deal on breakfast for 10 Euro per day by joining up to their rewards scheme. Enjoyed breakfast, had everything I wanted and was good quality. Much better on the early breakfast when food seemed fresher.
Went to a nearby French restaurant the first night which served excellent food but quite pricey at £100 for two. Second night was still fill from the night before and breakfast so just had a snack style meal in the hotel. 8 Euro for a warm feta cheese salad which was really good. Companions had what turned out to be a really substantial hamburger for 10 Euro and a club sandwich for the same. All big enough for a really filling meal and good quality. Coke seemed expensive for a 200 ml bottle at not much less than a decent sized beer. Hotel restaurant was fairly busy which helped with the ambience but service was not mega fast!
Hotel in a decent position for exploring Berlin and would be quite happy to return.
Good secure parking (for our friends) beneath hotel at 18 Euro per night. Did not look at or use the gym and sauna area so could not comment.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Room was clean functional. Beds were quite comfortable but lots of noise outside with the window slightly ajar. Towels were a bit thin. Our evening meal was okay but much of it also appeared for breakfast. Cheese selection was limited. WiFi did network all of the time in reception but was free. Breakfast was ok.

Room Tip: Nowhere near to eat.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to read that you like our TRYP-Guest room and our comfortable beds. For the next visit at TRYP Hotel Berlin we recommend you one of our rooms to the quite courtyard. We are regret that you were not so satisfied with the evening meal in our restaurant. For your next stay we hope that we can convince you with our restaurant quality and selection.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

A stone's throw from Naturkundemuseum station, Tryp is ideally located just a few minutes' walk from Friedrichstrasse. It made the perfect base for our four-day visit and provided a very relaxing and enjoyable stay. The staff are extremely friendly and all speak superb English, which is handy when you are relying on GCSE German from 20 years ago. The lady we spoke to made a special effort to find us a room that was available when we arrived at 8am, so we could sleep off the early flight & got us a room at the back away from the main road and building works. As others have noted, it is worth requesting one at the back to avoid the noise. Our room was clean, spacious & had a very comfortable bed - if a fraction too hard for our taste. We didn't have the breakfast & opted instead for Ground Coffee over the road. If you've got your appetite, the Fisherman's Friend breakfast is fantastic value & the scrambled eggs the best we've tasted. All is all, great value & we'll definitely be returning on future visits.

Room Tip: Go for one at the back
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2014

This hotel is very nice, nice lobby,bar & breakfast. Staff were very friendly during exchanges. Just a couple of things, if you have a front room which I did, it is VERY noisy, there is a lot of construction work going on and also the noise of the traffic is very loud, not convinced that the windows are double glazed as you can nearly hear people talk on the road outside (& I was on the 5th floor) so ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Our fridge was broken & couldnt find a remote control for the TV but they were easily sorted. Also wifi is quite expensive and the free option they give you is gone once you download a couple of emails! It is at the edge of Mitte but right beside a subway stop and maybe 20 minutes walk to Brandenburg Gate etc...we walked everywhere which helps you explore this great city!

Room Tip: Ask for a back room!
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stay in Berlin quite often and because I like points, recently I have stayed in one of the Holiday Inns closest to where my meeting is, which to be honest, is very tired and probably overpriced, but its OK and points make prizes, also it delivers in most areas and often I get a very nice big room. This time I thought I would stay a bit nearer and the Tryp came up.

When I got here I thought wow this is good! As it's quite a stylish foyer, as was the room. However it was probably 25 degrees centigrade plus inside, which I know is a problem with a lot of hotels, but I am tired of spending the night with the window open in the middle of a city. Its now May, so its not as bad as usual. (Like January,its the same, Why?)

Anyway, the guy from reception came up, said it was hot and told me to open the window. I didn't look chuffed and then he said he would see what he could do. He called and got me another room, which was good. However, it was exactly the same, and it was a worse room, the upside was it had 2 windows instead of 1 so I could leave them open.

At this point, I decided to go downstairs. They had given me this free drink, which is fine. Then I said I wanted to eat In the restaurant. There was nobody at all in there, I was the only one. So I looked at the menu, chose what I wanted then sat there for 15 minutes by myself, which was a bit miserable, with no attention. So I decided to leave and find another restaurant.

I told the bar woman and she looked a bit uncomfortable.

I wandered around without finding anything decent, (another hotel I had seen didn't have a restaurant), but then gave up and went to Subway. I have always slagged that off to be honest, I couldn't understand why there was a chain of sandwich restaurants ( I can make sandwiches), but it was very good and I think €5 whereas what I was planning on ordering at Tryip was closer to €40 and they served me immediately!

Anyway. I spend a lot of time in Hotels and this one has actually annoyed me enough to join Trip Advisor. Now I'm in I will try to write good ones too.

Room Tip: Sorry about the rating for the pool and spa, I haven't been here, However this is one of those p...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Jamesxp37890ppyreew2

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your stay with us, as well as for your open words.
We regret the inconvenience you had with the air condition in your room and the impression in our restaurant.
We can promise you, that is is not our standard and that your comment will help to train our collaborators.

We are looking forward to welcome you again and convince you about our service standards.

Best regards

Reviewed 13 May 2014

we stayed for 3 nights in May and booked the Hotel directly through their website, as a very reasonable rate. Check in was very straight forward and hassle free.

Our room was at the rear of the hotel and overlooked the roof. Although, not the best view in the world, there was absolutely no noise at night. The room was modern and clean and equipped with TV, Mini Bar, Safe and plug sockets.

The bathroom was clean and modern had a large walk in shower.

The hotel main areas, reception bar and restaurant are all open plan and again very clean, The bar (as stated in another review) is not too expensive, for a hotel. We did not originally book breakfast on our original booking. However, we were informed by reception on our arrival that we could book breakfast for 10 Euro's / day, if we agreed to the terms of conditions (which only meant we had to have breakfast on all the days we stayed at the hotel). Breakfast was worth the 10 Euro's, There was a good selection of hot and cold items, juice etc. The restaurant did get very busy, which meant a bit of a que at the coffee machine, but this was not a real issue.

All the staff, that we had any interaction with at the hotel, were polite and helpful.

as for the location of the hotel. it was ideally situated within a short walk to an underground station. we did walk to some of the main attractions from the the hotel, but the weather was a bit changeable and the underground was frequent and reliable and cheap (we purchased a 3 day Welcome Card).

I am unable to comment on the Gym or Sauna, as we did not use them.

we caught a taxi from Tegal Airport to the hotel for 20 Euros and caught the U Bahn and airport bus back for free (with our Welcome Tickets). the journey took about 30 mins maximum.

in summary, this was is an ideal hotel for a city break in Berlin.