“Great Mexican food, which is hard to find in Berlin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Maria Bonita

Maria Bonita
Ranked #645 of 8,291 Restaurants in Berlin
Price range: US$3 - US$9
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Fast food
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Cash Only, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Description: Small Bistro with open kitchen. Watch the chefs pepare your orders. Founded in 2009, Maria Bonita has set the bar for Authentic Mexican food in Berlin. Since its creation, a boom in Mexican restaurants has set off, but Maria Bonita has remained the most authentic and the most critically acclaimed, with notable mentions including the New York Times, "Das Feinschmecker" gourmet magazine and National Geographic. Maria Bonita continues to serve Mexican fast food as well as housmade frozen Margaritas with Mezcal and Mexican beer.
Berlin, Germany
“Great Mexican food, which is hard to find in Berlin!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I've not been too impressed by Mexican restaurants in general in the Berlin area. So I was excited after reading the reviews to go and try this place.

It's such a tiny restaurant that reservations aren't possible, but you can always get takeout if it is busy, or just wait because people are in and out quickly due to the fast service. We started with guacamole and house made chips. The chips were perfect. The guacamole was fantastic, very fruity and fresh. As entrees we both got chicken quesadillas. Next time I would try something different, but it was very good... Just very filling and large portions. We enjoyed sitting in the cozy restaurant and drinking Coronas with our meal. We will definitely be back for the food and friendly service. Next I want to try a margarita and chilaquiles!

MariaBonitaDE10435, Manager at Maria Bonita, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hi. Thank you very much for taking the time to review Maria Bonita. It makes us very happy and proud to see content costumers like you. We always make sure that everything is made fresh and from scratch, such us the Guacamole. And yes please, try the Chilaquiles, one of my personal favorites in Mexico.

Berlin, Germany
“Never Disappointed With the Food”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I've visited Maria Bonita regularly in the past year and a half. The menu isn't very large but it's well explained on the karte. It is very basic, but very good Mexican food like from Mexico: not Tex-Mex or American style burritos or black beans and corn kind of offerings. It is authentic. For people who don't know this difference, I understand it can make a difference in what they expect. I like the Tacos Alambre or either the Tinga de Pollo burrito, though the Puero Especial burrito is really good, too. I've had most everything on the menu except the quesadillas, as I don't prefer that much cheese.

Sometimes it can be hectic and service takes a bit longer than usual as it is a smaller place, but the taste of the food makes up for that for me, especially the salsas (red or green) which are free with your meal. The only reason I didn't rate this a full 5 is satisfaction is because of service issues: bored, disinterested, put-upon, and yea, that makes it seems like he doesn't want you to be there either. Not a large staff and you can always enjoy your food but hope you get the friendlier people.

• Visited September 2013
Dear Alexander, thank you so much for your positive review. It is nice to see, that people appreciate and like our authentic Mexican food. It takes a lot of time and work to be able to offer you our house-made red and green salsas. So, it's fantastic that you noticed little details like that. With regard to the staff, please be assured that we always want you be at Maria Bonita. Thank's for the feedback, so we can work on this issue.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely, Lovely Tacos”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I've been here a few times now and everything I've had has always been amazing. It's the best Mexican food I've had outside of Mexico. It's got a fun chilled out vibe and great friendly staff. Portions are epic and with food this great that's never a bad thing. Having lived in Mexico this is the only place I've found since that authentically recreates the tastes and feel of Mexico. It's a small place so you might have to wait – but it is worth waiting for. I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Berlin.

• Visited October 2013
“Really good mexican food, hole-in-wall style place, really cheap!”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I always thought Dolores was pretty much the be-all and end-all when it comes to mexican-style fast-eating in Berlin but Maria Bonita is a welcome rival! Great authentic sauces, really cheap food and a pretty cool eating experience. The salsa verde on the enchiladas is really good but the Quesadillas were amazing. Made in front of your eyes by friendly staff. Avoid going in a large group or prepare to wait outside as space inside it VERY limited.

• Visited October 2012
MariaBonitaDE10435, Public Relations Manager at Maria Bonita, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review and for visiting. we are sincerely glad you enjoyed your meal. We strive to present authentic Mexican food "Oaxaca-style", which can be rather different from American or Tex-Mex style cuisine, but as we learned and grew to love ;-)
“Cheap, delicious, authentic!”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for a cute and different place to get some dinner on a Saturday night. Although it is small and the tables outside were full, we found space inside to sit and watched the world go by. The margaritas are very tequila-heavy - great if you like it! - and the food portions were really large. Extra spicy really meant extra spicy as well, yum! Go here (armed with cash and not card) for some fresh flavours, a cool vibe and a few burritos!

• Visited August 2013