“Inattentive/disorganized staff, weird room assignment policies.. (Platinum ICH)”

Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre
Ranked #92 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I arrived early from an exhausting, 18 hour long flight from Canada and didn't expect my room to be ready, but a 5.5 hours wait was unacceptable. Other people were checking in/getting keys at the time. I was told to wait in the restaurant and paid for a full buffet but didn't really eat anything. Waited, waited. waited. No room. So, I started napping in the lobby. They decided to give me a "temporary room that wasn't the assigned upgraded suite," which, according to the front desk woman was "the only room they could give me because it was the assigned, upgrade." I told them I'd be happy with the smaller temporary room but they said no. Weird. The "temporary" room was directly across from my "assigned" (unavailable) room and saw the guest leave at 10am - I asked if I could get in there, but they said it needed to be cleaned....cut to 3:30PM (after normal check in time), I asked for a manager and he finally gave me the "assigned" room - but it was not the suite promised - it was EXACTLY the same as the "temporary" room that I had napped in across the hall!

Back to the lobby. The manager blamed it on the "new front desk person" who he said should not have promised me an upgraded suite, (that I had been forced to wait for, for 5.5 hours - but didn't get?). I became a squeeky wheel at that point. They did me the honor of (*sarcasm*) "rearranging" assigned rooms and put me in a regular room with a lock-off room attached that had a dining room table and couch in it (I guess what they call a "suite?"). Anyway, I never went in the lock-off room...

Room service meal never came. 1.5 hours after ordering they said that they "wrote down the wrong room number" and so didn't deliver it - laughing saying "we wondered where it was supposed to go!" hahahaha - very funny. They said their system didn't allow them to see which room called to order.

Other than the poor, disorganized, inattentive service (Platinum IHG/Ambassador didn't mean a darn thing), this was an average hotel, very 'airport hotel' feel in a way. If you have a choice, stay elsewhere.

Oh, and the lobby couches are comfortable to nap on ;)

Room Tip: Don't bother with the "suite" they are simply 2-room lock-offs that are made for famil...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear QualMod,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite Member. We apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations.

We have sent you a private message with additional details regarding your review.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is a typical US-hotel in the middle of Berlin, only seconds from KaDeWe.
Everything is in brown,beige,green colours and the rooms are for the most alike standard rooms of app. 25m2

Service was very proffessional and friendly (English is of course standard)
We had a Junior suite which was two interconnecting standard rooms ,where the bed in room 1 was replaced by a sofa and a couple of chairs.
Bathroom (s) all alike but with shower inside the barthtub (very unpractical) and a standard too low u.s toilet.

Breakfast is amazing,but only to be taken if included in the rate

Wi-Fi does still come at an enourmous extra charge (2013) but should be made free in 2014

If you like a standard 4 star hotel very close to Kurfurstendamm shopping this is the right choise

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel the room was on the 7th floor where renovation work was taking place, however disturbance was kept to a minimum. The thing that let me down was that on the last night my wife ordered a dry martini & lemonade and was subsequently charged 8.50 euros for the dry martini and a further 2.50 euros for a dash of lemonade. Upon complaining the next morning when we checked out it was confirmed that the price was indeed correct, all my wife wanted was a drink at a reasonable price and not a feeling of being ripped off. This is unacceptable as the price could have bought a full bottle of martini and as a result we wont be rushing back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear markljones,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Just returned from a five night stay in Berlin. Hotel is in a very central location close to the main shopping street and u-Bahn stations. There is also an excellent christmas market up the road. Room was very nice with all the amenities needed including tea and coffe making facilities and a safe. Beds were very comfortable with a good supply of pillows. Breakfast was very good and there was a lot choice and staff were very friendly. We ate in the hotel restaurant one nights and the food was excellent if a little expensive. Overall a very good experience and would return without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Good hotel near the Zoo and train station. Staff very friendly and helpful to me and colleagues - we only spoke English - so all the staff did too - very good.
Rooms very clean and tidy.
I found my room dark - personally I like light and airy - but that's me.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Segovia, Spain
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Just back from a three nights stay in Berlin. Very good location in the heart of the comercial area an very close to most of the main city atractions. The worst thing was that there wasn't free wifi as in the rest of the city. The room is confortable as supposed for a 4 stars hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Dear gerotero,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We strive to ensure all of our guests needs are met and we are pleased to know that our location and accommodations were to your liking and contributed to making your stay that much more comfortable. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered with the WIFI. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve.

Karen C
Eilat, Israel
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Looks quite unassuming from the outside but the inside is much nicer. Location is superb. Breakfast very good. The staff was real helpful and even upgraded me since i had arrived early and was only there for one night. Nice treat.

Room Tip: Get out and walk the area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business