“Building tired, staff great!”

Mercure Airport Hotel Berlin Tegel
Ranked #271 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Having seen some of the reviews complaining about the staff at this hotel, I must have been exceptionally lucky on the two separate occasions that I stayed there this month. Far from being rude or unhelpful, everyone I came across (OK, only reception/chambermaids/bar/shuttle drivers, but still...) was pleasant, courteous and very willing to help.

True, the décor is a bit tired, bathrooms feeling their years, carpets no longer tip-top, towels not at their fluffiest and so on, but I couldn't fault the cleanliness, nor the comfortable beds. I slept on the second and the third floor, and had a very good night in both rooms. Bags of instant hot water, too, for reviving showers.

I can understand the sense in not carrying out major renovations to a hotel doomed by its location to stand empty when Tegel airport is no longer in use, but would have loved to see an electric kettle and a supply of coffee/tea in my room... I know this is an English goodie and not universal, but if Mercure Potsdam can do it, why not this one?

Thought 18 euros was a bit stiff for breakfast so didn't use the restaurant - although with free wifi and a free, on-demand shuttle to and from the airport, perhaps I was being a bit mean there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank jdesm
Reviewed 15 June 2014

No one will stay here once the new airport opens, so I don't blame Accor for not remodeling this place. Having said that, after the TA reviews, I was nervous, for no reason as it turned out. The staff were efficient but not overly friendly. The room was basic and the bathroom clean although the towels were thin. The carpet had some minor spots, not offensive. I did not find it noisy and enjoyed the pool view with the window open as the hotel is located in a woods. It would not have been far to walk but I would save my suitcase wheels. Not hard to find as signs are posted on the airport entrance road. Walk under the runway on the sidewalk and turn left at the first crosswalk, then past the filling station and into the woods. The pool looked inviting but the water was cool and I didn't fancy packing a wet swimsuit. We played cards in the empty lobby and found drinking water in the work-out room. I would have appreciated more English language TV but settled for BBC and CCTV (only news). We took a taxi to Restaurant Schlossgarten near Charlottenburg for dinner, was only a 12 Euro ride. The free airport shuttle was handy and quick (have the airport info desk call the hotel if you are inbound).

Room Tip: I found the pool side room quiet with a nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2014

All the reviews below are, wow, accurate. This hotel is atrocious! It is not the property itself, but the staff... they are just inept and rude. At check in, we were given two drink vouchers and 10% off for food and drinks during our stay (Accor Platinum privilege). First negative, we wanted a booth table which hasn't been cleaned yet, and were told "YOU WILL have to wait." A proper response would be, "please have a seat while we clean the table." We don't have to do anything, and this is not a language problem. We just came from the Mercure in Munchen and I just wrote them a wonderful review! Next came the drinks. We had 2 beers at the bar before moving to the restaurant and we wanted to use the drink vouchers we were given. Apparently, you get a smaller beer with the vouchers at this Mercure, which we didn't know in advance and it is not specified on the vouchers. We were happy to pay, but got this lecture from the bar tender who said we were supposed to tell him we have vouchers. How were we supposed to know? Third, the server also didn't know about the Platinum privilege (10% off f&b) and keep insisting on a voucher and phoned the front desk (although we showed him the room key jacket clearly indicating the Platinum privilege). There was also massive confusion over transferring our bar tab to the restaurant. We have been in Germany for 10 days, and this is our third hotel, and is a "baddie." Management doesn't actually care, as you can see, they don't even bother responding to these reviews. We stayed here only because we have a mid morning flight, but it is not necessary at all. You might as well stay in the city and take a cab in for less than 20 Euros. Note: Positive ratings below only because we received an upgrade (because of Platinum status and not to make up for their inept) and can't comment on their standard rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank edster1971
Reviewed 3 June 2014

As other reviewers have said, this is definitely not a four-star hotel. It's a very basic hotel with rude staff. Out of four 5 staff members we dealt with, only one was remotely nice. When we checked in, the clerk came over to check us in and then when I went to get my ID, she walked off to do some filing. Later I called the front desk to ask a question about the shower and the woman cut me off before I even asked the question. Her answer was not helpful but she just kept repeating the same thing.

Positives: It was clean and the staff agreed to hold our bags when we got there too early to check in. There is a shuttle to the airport.

Negatives: Incredibly uncomfortable beds, like sleeping on plywood. Run down rooms and generally a poorly lit, basic hotel. FAR away from public transportation, although you can take the shuttle to the airport and get public transportation from there. Rude staff.

I definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank writer_in_nc
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here one night as we had an early flight out. This hotel is by no means 4 stars, it's equivalent to a Motel 6 in the states. When we checked in the clerk assured us it was a quiet room. We were so tired that we didn't notice we were on the airport side. Coupled with this, the A/C didn't work, the carpets were dirty, the bathrooms seriously outdated (shower curtains) and the hotel is run-down. Since it was raining, we decided to have dinner up at the hotel, bad decision. It was the only bad meal we had in our two-week stay in Europe and overpriced at that. Don't stay here' it is overpriced & disgusting.

Room Tip: There are none.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel is fine if you just want a place to sleep. It is close to the airport but still a reasonable walk with luggage or if the weather is poor. However there is a regular shuttle service.
It served it´s purpose but would not be one that I would stay in by choice again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business