“Way over priced!”

Ranked #221 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Way over priced!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just stopped in to grab a room. 69 euros....then they wanted 10 EACH for my wife and I to use the internet! then 10 euro EACH for breakfast. I said no way and they gave us the internet for free. The room is small...they looked to have a queen bed in the room but only a comforter for a twin! it did not even cover the whole bed! So my wife had to track them down to get another cover.
I made the mistake of coming to Berlin without looking up a place to stay. I was coming from Krakow Poland and it was hard to find a place with internet. Nope will not stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin Airport - Conference Centre, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear gogle1965,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Had to attend a conference at his hotel so it was a natural choice to also book my room there.
The Conference facilities were great with spacious meeting rooms, state of the art audi visual equipment, perfect coffee breaks and lunches plus we had a great gala dinner at the end of our conference.
You can start your day with a fantastic breakfast and throughout the hotel, the service is all smiles.
When in Berlin, will definitely go back there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank geertsnaet
msenne, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Holiday Inn Berlin Airport - Conference Centre, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Geertsnaet,

thank you for your positive feedback.
We are delighted.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This Holiday Inn in Southern Berlin suffers from the delays in the completion of the new international airport. It appears to be one the last locations to increase its rates when more central hotels are getting fully booked. Unlike any other Holiday Inn in Berlin (to my knowledge) the hotel is not served by public transit at all. Instead, a hotel shuttle bus travels between the hotel and the nearby railroad station and the Schoenefeld Airport.

The hotel is a full service Holiday Inn, something of a rarity in Berlin as newly opened franchises of the IHG tend to be Holiday Inn Expresses or Indigos in Berlin these days. The service level was not bad at all and the downstairs restaurant offered a manu that covered a wide choice of culinary needs. The atmosphere was unusual in terms of being a hotel restaurant - mainly due to the many locals who had come in to enjoy drinks and an evening buffet. Apparently, not many restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

The only complaint is really that the front desk seemed to have one person on duty at a time, there was a lineup for the checkout - and whenever a phone call came in the sole attendant had to handle the call.

I chose the hotel on the basis of the very economical room rate - around 50e incl tax at a time when my usual Berlin hotels offered fairly high rates only. I could recommend the hotel for a weekend or timeoff or as the first night in town to sleep away the jetlag - perhaps combined with a stay in a downtown hotel before or after. Transit commuter time to Alexanderplatz or the West Berlin City core can easily take more than half an hour - and more if the visitor is not familiar with the Berlin transit system. A day pass is well worth its price as the single fare to downtown is 3.20e.

The hotel almost borders on the old southern frontier of West Berlin. If you get a room with a window to the north, the old border zone still stands out as a wide wasteland. Some old service roads (used by the frontier guards of the GDR) are available as bycycle routes.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Maitland55,

thank you for the time you have taken to assess our house and your feedback.
We are very pleased with your positive assessment.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip.

I have stayed in many airport hotels and I tend to find they always follow the same rule - pay more and get less. This hotel is no exception.

ROOMS
The rooms are standard, pretty basic and disappointing for a fairly new hotel. The beds are reasonably comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. There are irons available to use which can be collected from a cupboard in the hall, these are very bad.

STAFF
Upon first checking into the hotel I received very good service. The receptionist was efficient and checked us in quickly. She answered all my questions knowledgeably, providing useful information about travel into Berlin city centre and local restaurants. Unfortunately the service deteriorated throughout my stay. The front desk seemed incredibly understaffed and the queues were very long. I found myself queuing for over 15 minuets on one occasion just for a new key card, quite frustrating.

FACILITIES
The spa was ok with a sauna and steam room. For some reason you can't assess it with your room key card, so you have to queue at reception and ask for a special card. If you do want to use this facility I would suggest asking at check in.

The wifi connection is dismal. The connection was unstable and kept disconnecting. It was not good enough to make a Skype call, so don't expect much.

LOCATION
The hotel is a ten minute free shuttle ride from the airport. It takes 30 minutes to get into central Berlin from the train station. A trip to Berlin will cost you €40 in a taxi and around €3 on the train one way.

SHUTTLE
The hotel provides a free shuttle from and to the station and airport which is great, IF YOU CAN GET ON IT! On the two occasions I wanted to use the shuttle to the airport it was fully booked!! This was extremely inconvenient and meant I had pay extortionate airport taxi prices. Pick up from the airport is fine, you just call and they send a shuttle. It seems ridiculous to me that it only runs every 30 minutes during the busiest time in the early morning. Definitely book your shuttle at check in!!

The only thing going for this hotel is its proximity to the airport. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Book your departure shuttle at check in!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank James E
msenne, Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin Airport - Conference Centre, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear James E,

thank you for the time you have taken to assess our house and your feedback.
We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.
We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Buckingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Hotel was used for a conference. Upon checking in I joked that I hoped my room was not next to a lift (because often they are). I was informed it was and immediately offered an alternative room (room had disabled access but I accepted. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout the stay. We arrived late after the restaurant had closed and choose a burger from the bar menu which was much better than you would expect from a late evening service. The barman was very attentive and set a good impression for the hotel. There was plenty to choose from for breakfast so nay guest should find something they like an also a few dietary specific options which were labelled. WiFi was charged (a big hotel annoyance of mine) but had no issue with signal apart from having to log in again every few hours. Was also able to connect both my devices. Used the shuttle bus which apparently runs on the half hour and hour. Dropping off at the railway station and airport (outside the Easyjet terminal). Noise in the room was not an issue but I was out on one of the wings away from the centre of the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the road side as apparently these could be quite noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Chris B,

thank you for the time you have taken to assess our house and your feedback.
We are very pleased with your positive assessment.

Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed here for a week in Berlin whilst on business. Rooms were very good and very comfortable with no airplane noise. Breakfasts where good with plenty of choice, and evening dinner menu was excellent with lots of local food on the menu, always very welcomed.
The only complaint I would have is no free Wi-Fi access, why oh why ?? especially when it is advertised as a business Hotel ???
Other than that would re-visit, as all other aspects of the hotel were very good.

Room Tip: Room did not require anything else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
msenne, Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin Airport - Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear jman26,

thank you for the time you have taken to assess our house and your feedback. We are very pleased with your positive assessment.
In our standard rooms we charge an extra fee for the internet access.
In all other room types the internet is included.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

The hotel is located just a few miles from the airport. It’s probably a 20-30 minute walk. They offer a shuttle service, but it’s a pain to use. They have no published schedule, although it’s supposed to operate on a regular basis. I was only in Berlin for 28 hours, and wasted one of those hours waiting for the shuttle. I called the hotel and was told “it will be there in 20 minutes”. I waited 40 minutes and it still hadn't arrived. I called again (expensive international calls) and was told again “it will be there in 20 minutes”. The shuttle then arrived about 10 minutes later. The actually journey only takes 5 minutes. If they were clever, they would publish a timetable (like every 30 minutes at 00 & 30 past the hour from 6am to 10pm) and stick to it. They could then offer an “on demand” service between 10pm and 6am. The shuttle service operating from the hotel to the railway station seems more reliable, and does leave from outside reception at the top and bottom of each hour. The shuttle bus is clearly branded in green with the Holiday Inn logo and hotel name.

It’s a modern low-rise building which sprawls out in a U-shape. While holding on for the reception on the phone, the messages say the hotel has 299 rooms. Central reception area with 3 check in desks, the restaurant is off to the right with the bar in between.

The hotel is situated on the outskirts of the airport campus in a largely industrial area. Not much to see/do locally - there are two petrol stations a few minutes walk away for basic provisions.

The staff were not super friendly. I had to wait for two staff to finish having a chat before I could be checked in. Despite putting down my IHG rewards card, with my name prominently displayed on it, the staff member asked twice for my name. There was no explanation given of how the free wifi operates at check in. On checkout my bill had errors - it included items which I had not used - so always carefully check the account before settling.

My room, 186, was on the first floor and at near the end of one of the corridors - “miles” away from the lifts. I’m not sure if I was room upgraded or not, but I was in a section of the corridor decorated in red/grey while most of the hotel was decorated in cream. The room seemed to have been recently refurbished… clean, modern fixtures. LCD TV with about 50 channels, 50% international. Minibar prices are reliably expensive (EUR5.50 for a bottle of water!!). Bed was comfortable, pillows very soft (but you can order alternative ones via reception).

The bathroom is a good size, modern and clean. No bath, shower only. Good size shower head, good water pressure and nice warm water. Wall mounted Lux shower gel/shampoo dispensers. Wet room approach with floor draining into shower.

Room Service: considering this is a Holiday Inn, and serving an International Hotel, you’d expect a decent round the clock Room Service menu… sadly not - after 11pm you have 2 choices: goulash soup or a cold meat platter. That’s it. Disappointing.
Breakfast: this is one of this hotel’s strengths… good range of buffet items. Chef prepared egg dishes (and pancakes) on request. The plate of Vitamin C effervescent lozenges is a nice touch - never seen that at a hotel breakfast anywhere before. Self service freshly squeezed orange juice. Also the opportunity to sit outside when the weather permits.

I will give them credit for offering free internet access. But… to make it work you need to get a username and password from reception. The signal strength in the room was patchy… hardly any signal at the desk (up against window/external wall), but good signal if you press yourself up against the room door! Also, it seems the username is only valid on one device at a time… a system that predates the rather common phone/tablet/laptop combination from the real world today. Once connected, the quality of connection is not great, barely enough to sustain a Skype call. Perhaps ask for a room with a router outside your door and you will have better luck than me!

If I needed to stay in this area again, I would probably use this hotel again - but I would be far better prepared to deal with the challenges of the airport transfer service and internet access.

Room Tip: Some rooms are miles from the lift Ask for a room near a router if you want good internet access
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LondonJetsetter
msenne, Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin Airport - Conference Centre, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear LondonJetsetter,

many thanks for your time and trouble you have taken to evaluate our hotel.
We are very sorry that you had such problems with our shuttle service.
We hope to be able to on your next stay on our service convince.

Your Holiday Inn Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
InterCityHotel Berlin-Brandenburg Airport
#2 of 7 in Schonefeld
Albergo Hotel Berlin
Albergo Hotel Berlin
#389 of 634 in Berlin

Been to Holiday Inn Berlin Airport - Conference Centre? Share your experiences!