“Few Days in Berlin”

Holiday Inn Berlin City-West
Ranked #322 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Just returned from 4 days in Berlin and stayed at this hotel, which was booked via an offer. The good points - the staff were very friendly and helpful and thy provided a very good breakfast which included both continental and hot food. The room was clean but looked a bit dated and in need of renovation - have used Holiday Inn a few times and it was a little disappointing compared to those I'd stayed at before. The hotel is also a little bit outside the main parts of the city and takes about 20mins to the main visitor sites - although the metro service is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MarkandJeanette
HI_93, General Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear “MarkandJeanette“,

I’m glad to hear, you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Berlin City – West.

Thank you for mentioning your impressed good pints, certainly I will share your positive comments with our staff. Indeed the Holiday Inn Berlin City – West is located in the western part of Berlin, so it takes about 20 minutes to get to the Kudamm and about 40 minutes to get to the Alexanderplatz via public transport. The nearest underground station called “Rohrdamm” is about a 5 minutes’ walk away.

Dear “MarkandJeanette“, we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in Berlin at the Holiday Inn Berlin City – West.

Kind regards to Liverpool,

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Good quiet clean hotel, we stayed in room 460, top floor at the front of the hotel and no complaints from location. We were extremely pleased after an early morning flight hotel allowed us to check in no questions asked when we arrived early at 1pm. Our breakfast was included in the deal and was surprised but very pleased that they open breakfast for so long 6.30am-10.30am. Breakfast was excellent with lots of choice with an unexpected small choice of hot food beans eggs bacon. The room was clean, and practical although had two single beds pushed together rather than a double. Our kettle was broken but I found the housekeeping who was pleasant polite and accommodating and promised this would be rectified by the time we go back which they had although to a kettle that wasn't as broke but at least useable. We visited the swimming pool and was disappointed that there was fitness class going on in the pool, (They have a lot of useful information in the hotel rooms which I think this could have been included in.) but we used the sauna and plunge pool all the areas were clean and well maintained. The location was further out than we had predicted blast Google maps!! But we figured out the tubes quickly and didn’t struggle getting around to where we wanted to go. From Schonefeld airport we took the train to zoo gardens and tram on line u2 to bismarkstrasse and then to Rhuleben which is less than 5 min walk to the hotel. This took just over an hour.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are on A1 so don't ask for a smoking room if you want a view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracy6Uk
HI_93, General Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear “Tracy6Uk“,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your comments of your recent stay with us.

We were truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a great time here in Berlin. But we are also sorry to see that you could not enjoy our swimming pool. Normally our reception is informing our guests regarding other fitness classes in the pool when they pick up the keys for our Wellness area. Certainly I have passed your comment to our reception so that they can make sure all our guests will be informed about it.

Thank you once again for your detailed feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the city.

Kind regards from Berlin

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have just returned from a long weekend and what was my first trip to berlin. We were a little shocked to find that the airport was quite far and it did worry us however after an easy trip by train and with some guidance from the hotel staff we found ourselves travelling all over Berlin with ease. It is such a big city that no matter where we stayed we would have to travel. The hotel were great for recommending areas to go for food, drinks and sight seeing. The subway is literally a 5 min walk from the hotel. The breakfast was pretty good and the room was spotless. The only downside to the room was the tele had virtually no English channels so after a long day out we couldn't chill in our room with a bit with television, not major but my partner missed it when I fell asleep!
The staff were attentive and helpful and the hotel was quiet and felt well organised. It is a distance from the busy night life however if you are looking for more of a sight seeing holiday rather than a clubbing one like we were then this hotel is ideal.

• Stayed: February 2014
HI_93, General Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear “Gemma_Uk_liverpool“

We would like to thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Berlin City - West for your recent visit in the German capital and providing us with feedback about your stay.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was so attentive to your needs and wishes. Certainly I have also forwarded your nice compliment regarding our breakfast buffet and the cleanliness of our hotel room to the respective departments.

Should your travels bring you back this way, we hope that you will stay with us again.

Kind regards to Liverpool,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with my family (2 kids) and the hotel was great. We could get an upgrade being Gold IHG member. The indoors swimming pool was very nice and the kids could enjoy a lot. Free parking places are available in front of the hotel.
Room service guy was very friendly. All in all everything was great

Note: you need to have a car if you want to stay in this hotel otherwise location is inconvinient

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
HI_93, General Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear "Hassan H",

Thank you so much for your positive comments on tripadvisor. We are delighted that you and your family have enjoyed your stay with such pleasure, particulary your time in our Wellness Area. We are glad to hear that your kids liked the pool a lot.

We truly hope to welcome you and your family back in the not so distant future.

Kind regards to Frankfurt

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights with a group of travellers.I was not happy with the stay at all.
The hotel itself doesn't look very new or refurbished.The rooms are very basic and not looking very appealing.The carpet in my room had stains and it did not feel clean.Everything around is quite old.
Service was very poor.My hospitality desk was not provided and had to ask 3 times for a a little table that was supposed to be there.When I asked for portage service,i was told that they don't do that.When asked second time,they said that it is not possible because one person is doing portage and he is a driver too and he will be busy...
The location is not very convienient because it is a 40 min drive by train to the center.
I stayed in many Hotels but this one is for me 3 stars at most!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank heathrov
HI_93, General Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear "heathrov",

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay.

We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations regarding our rooms. We would be glad if you could forward the room number, so that our executive Housekeeper could take immediate action. Please be assured that our Reception Manager also has trained again her team concerning your experience. The reception is the first impression a guest gets and certainly the staff should be well informed and helpful. We would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

The Holiday Inn Berlin City – West is located in the western part of Berlin. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the Kudamm and about 40 minutes to get to the Alexanderplatz via public transport.

Dear "heathrov", hopefully you will return to Berlin once again so that we could get the chance to convince you of our IHG standard of service quality.

Kind regards to London

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Firstly .. Please ignore all rude , ignorant people on here giving holiday inn bad reveiws !

I stayed at holiday inn for 5 days over Xmas period .. And it was a delight .
I felt very welcome, free breakfast , obviously you pay extra for Internet and phone calls .. As a frequent , experienced traveller I expected that.

Andrea , the hotel manager .. Was fantastic , so nice and so helpfull .. I even checked out late and left my luggage there whist I spent my last day travelling around berlin. As I had a late night flight .. Nothing was too much trouble ... And I would definitely reccomend this hotel .. Would definitely stay here again ..

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LondonClare75
HI_93, General Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear “LondonClare75”,

Thank you very much for being our guest.

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your time during Christmas with us and that you liked our breakfast.

Thank you also very much for recommending our hotel to others. We would be glad to welcome you soon again at the Holiday Inn berlin City – West.

Kind regards to London

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying I'm not that person who vents and complains on social forums. This is my only exception to date! Holiday Inn Berlin City-west is by far the worst hotel I've ever visited. On route from Oslo to San Diego, my flight was delayed, so the airline sent me to their parter, Holiday Inn, telling me that they would provide me with a dinner and breakfast voucher. Upon arrival, the unwelcoming, inattentive receptionist says that I only had a voucher for breakfast. When I asked her if she could call the airline she refused. When I asked if I could call the hotel's partner airline from her line, she refused. She did, however, tell me I could call from my room. When I reached my room to call the airline, the phone didn't work. Turns out you have to pay for outgoing local calls. So I went back down to reception to pay for an internet voucher and finally found the only competent receptionist who helped me call the airline. Note, if you ever get stuck with Airberlin in Berlin on an involuntary, unforeseen layover, do not call their local line. They will tell you to fix their mistake by submitting a complaint online. Call the international number, which is what I did at dinner. 20 minutes on the phone via Skype and10 euros later on the cost of internet later I finally got the problem resolved. After a few more interactions with the same service standard as the first receptionist, it's clear to see that this hotel is poorly managed and well stocked with teenagers with no sense of customer service. I understand people making mistakes but companies with partnerships should take responsibility and not put it on their customers who are already spending over 1,500 dollars on their service, especially those of us who are dealing with the stress that hours of international travel creates. Do not go to this hotel. If you need to stay near the airport, go to Mercury. Their service and food is of much better quality.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank H.m. R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear H.m. R,