“Central, clean and comfortable”

Wyndham Berlin Excelsior
Ranked #320 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 14 December 2009

We stayed at the Excelsior Hotel for 4 nights in December and had a great time.

It was our first trip to Berlin and I made the rookie mistake of taking a taxi from Schonefeld. This is a BAD idea - the hotel website says a taxi from Tegel is €15 or so but it's twice that from Schonefeld so take the train if you can. It's only €2.80 and the Zoo station is very close to the hotel.

Most of west Berlin's attractions are close to the hotel, in fact. Because we were there in December, there was a Christmas market within 10 minutes' walk of the hotel at the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (which is preserved in its bombed-out state). We were also close to the Ku'damm, the Zoo, a cinema and many cafes and bars. We took a walk to Savignyplatz twice as there's a few nice, simple Italian restaurants in the corner near the S-Bahn station.

A pretty good walking tour of Berlin starts at the McDonald's near the Zoo station, that was well worth it if you have 4 hours to spare.

And as for the hotel, it was great. The only minus point I'd take from it was the lack of internet facilities. I'm sorry, but I would take free wi-fi as a given these days, yet the Excelsior persists (as does most of Germany by the looks of it) with a pay as you go service that equated to around €20 a day. There was an ethernet wire next to the TV but it wouldn't work and reception, who in fairness sent someone up to investigate, said that the server was offline and would be back in an hour. That was day 2 and it never worked for our whole time there. It was a pity, because in other hotels we've stayed in, we use the net to look up things to do and make bookings. As a result of this lack of internet (I refuse to pay for it, it was extortionate in any case), I was always on the look-out for somewhere to go online and it really was a pain. Even the PC beside reception cost the same to use the internet, it's like they're determined to get paid for what's normally a free service.

Leaving that aside, the hotel is great. The room was roomy and clean, the bathroom spacious, the TV, while laborious to get to any channels, was fine. We'd asked for a double and got a twin with two beds pushed together but they were fine. Breakfast was included and was a pretty good buffet, especially their selection of bread. The newspapers at the entrance to the buffet looked complimentary and there was no sign up to suggest there was a charge, until we saw the bill at the end. We also got room service one evening, which was ok.

The staff at the Excelsior were fantastic though. They were very helpful, allowing us to check-in at midday. They also have a nice selection of pamphlets etc. with which you can plan excursions etc. It's quite 70's inside but it's well-maintained so I could forgive them for that. All-in-all, I'd go back but I might be tempted to go elsewhere if they had free wi-fi.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

996 - 1,002 of 2,216 reviews

Reviewed 16 November 2009

Pro: - Great location
- Good food
- Quiet hotel

Cons: - you can easily hear voices from your "neighbours" room.

I was staying at this hotel for 4 days, and I really liked it. Good service, and the breakfast was good. One night I ate in the hotel restaurant. The dinner was great.

The location is the perfect part. Just down the street from the Kaiser Wilhelm kirche in the midtown. The hotel is located a 7-8 min. walk from the shopping street Kurfürstendam and the big "Ka-De-We" shopping center.

Although the rooms seems a bit old, and you can hear the "neighbours" voice from the next room, it still is a great place to stay. Remember to check out the lobby bar. Great drinks : )

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank niggen
Reviewed 30 October 2009

The hotel is ideally located just 5 minutes walk from the Zooligsche Garten S-Bahn (with a supermarket right outside it) and 10 minutes walk from the Ku'Damm. It seemed safe walking around at night. We found the hotel quiet and clean - the decor may not be the most contemporary - but everything we needed was provided. The beds had white duvets on them. The TV had BBC World and CNN english channels. Staff were polite and courteous throughout our stay. The breakfast buffet is served from 0630-1030 and there was plentiful supplies of breads, croissants, yogurts, fruit, cereals, fruit juice, cold meats and cheeses. The hot breakfast is composed of bacon, sausages, scrambled or boiled eggs. There is also a restaurant but we did not eat there or order room service.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ///
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Pros: This hotel is located about a 2 minutes walk to the Zoo Station. If you are coming from the Tegel Airport, take bus 109 and it will take you literally to the front door of the hotel. Found this hotel in a travel package and couldn't resist the price.

Cons: Noisy, can hear foot steps and your neighbors. My girlfriend was constantly complaining about privacy issues. Do not use the phone! They charged me a bit for local calling, yes local calling in which I dialed a 800 number using my phone card. Go to a payphone, there are plenty of them at the Zoo Station. Single rooms with one bed is awfully small. The biggest issue is I had was hearing foot steps all night long as the floors are made out of wood, not concrete.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2009

We stayed at the Excelsior hotel for 3 nights last November, and the location was the best part. It is very close to the Zoologischer Garten station, which linked to the U Bahn and had a direct to Schoenefeld Airport. It is also 5 minutes away from Berlin Zoo (check out the panda!), the KuDamm and Kaiser Wilhelm church. The room was comfy, quite small but we weren't there for much more than sleeping and getting ready. Also watch for the daredevil window cleaners! And if you go to the hotel bar be prepared for it to be quite pricey- although the cocktails were pretty great! All in all a really good hotel which we would definitely go back to.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights on a fantastic B&B deal, I think about £300 each inc flights.

I was really impressed mainly because of the location, a 5 minute walk from Zoologischergarten stations - a main hub which ensured that late nights didn't involve a cab. We were a few mins from a brilliant late night store where you could buy the cheapest beer (we liked a couple at night in our room) and food should you want it. The Kaiser Willem church is there and is beautiful at night as is KaDeWe at Tauentzienstrasse just off the K'Damn.

The breakfast was excellent with lots of everything. I like poached eggs so always ask for a couple and these were made every morning for me with a lot of effort made for presentation. The room was a good size and the staff were all ok - I don't remember any problem.

Unless I got an amazing 'can't say no' deal elsewhere I'd go back there next time.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Stayed here for two nights for a business meeting. The hotel is close to Zoo station, and indeed the zoo, in an area of modern offices. Room was rather small but clean. Did not eat in hotel but in local German restaurants, of which there are many nearby. Very handy for direst buses to Tegel airport (X9 taking about 30 minutes from outside Zoo station), with trains from Zoo to Schonefeld Airport.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business