“Super location and excellent value for money.”

Tryp by Wyndham Berlin AM KU Damm
Ranked #432 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Super location and excellent value for money.”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This hotel is in a superb location for sightseeing in this fabulous city. My room was fine - not luxurious - it is a 3 star hotel but the room served my purposes well and was kept very clean by the housekeeping staff. Similarly, the bathroom was absolutely fine too. There are lots of restaurants and shops nearby and it is a three minute walk to the Ku'damm - one of the main shopping streets in Berlin. There is an underground station nearby and the hotel is only a fifteen minute walk from Zoo Station - one of the main railway stations in Berlin. I will certainly return to this hotel as it is excellent value for money. My only criticism is that there is no air conditioning and my bedroom was very warm although it did have the benefit of a window that could be opened.

Room Tip: Rooms on the sixth floor and to the rear of the hotel are particularly good as they are quiet and ai...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Charles M
Monika P, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Berlin AM KU Damm, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Dear Charles,

Thank you for your nice comments following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Berlin.

Kind regards from Berlin
Monika Piesker
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Ashdod, Israel
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I will start with the ONLY few good things: location, breakfast was what i expected, and Ms. Katrin at the desk/
now for the truth: Beds too soft-one rolls over and both feel like a roller coaster.
shower- didnt work- the water flow was awful.-
iour joke was that there was always 3 in the shower at once "claustro" "phobic " and me!!
cleanliness was lacking.
NO AC!!!!!! hot in the rooms and windows dont open all the way/
need i say more?

Room Tip: stay away!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tracyngal
Karise, Denmark
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have just been to Berlin in the period 17 to 20 april and stayed this time at the hotel "Grand City Hotel Berlin Ku'Damm", which is close to excellent shopping at Kurfürstendamm. It is advisable to take bus 109 from the airport (Tegel) to stop "Ulandstr." from where there is only approx. 300 meters to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jarne Rosendal B
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in this hotel. The room was nothing flash, but did the job it was designed to do! After all, it's a bad holiday if you spend a lot of time in your room!

The girl on the check-in desk was extremely pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was fairly straightforward- cold meats, toast, fruit juice, cereals, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, sausage meat 'medallions' etc.

The only thing that was negative about the stay was some of the German guests there. They could be quite obnoxious if a group turned up wanting to sit by the fire en masse, and I was there already. They'd surround me and start asking about my religion, asking if I was Islamic etc. Very strange, really.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank WiganFireblade
Dear WiganFireblade,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Berlin.

Kind regards
Monika Piesker
Hotel Manager
London
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The locations is great, short walk from shops, supermarket very close by, and coffee shops.

The rom is what it says on the tin, compact and clean and for the price, it is very nice.

From shonefeld airport, took me about 45 min. by train.

I staied there on winter so it was very good value for money!

Room Tip: get the rooms facing garde as it is very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vooLondon
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Just a lovely hotel! We loved the staff and the service was terrifac!!!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Shahar1991
London
Reviewed 3 October 2011

... but not great for someone travelling on business. I just spent two nights at this hotel during a business trip to Berlin. I don't enjoy criticising hotels so I'll start with the positives.

The reception staff were very helpful and efficient. Being Germany they lacked the immediate friendliness you get in other countries, but they did warm up. I was helped with wifi, finding a place to run, getting a taxi etc. All very impmressive and probably the best thing about the hotel.

I slept fine each night and the beds were OK - if you expect standard European narrow single beds with square pillows. I was out at work functions both nights at which I consumed a little too much of the local beer so that probably helped knock me out. I had a room at the back of the property and it was very quiet and peaceful.

Now, for the rest... The bathroom wasn't great. The only thing stopping water getting everywhere from the shower was a dirty curtain which had mold on the bottom. The pressure and temperature was good but I was more concerned with touching the curtain. Oh, and the water didn't drain (which my colleague said was also the case in her room).

The lift was rather novel. Dating back to 1964 it was one of those tiny little old style ones with a folding door. Alright if you're on your own but awkward if someone joins you.

I had a bit of a panic when I realised there wasn't an iron/ironing board in the room. Reception did help me get one but I had to schlep it around the property myself. Felt a little homey I suppose. Good iron though.

I checked out at 5am and was dealt with by the night time security guard I think the previous reviewer met. It was the strangest, most peculiar experience I've had in a hotel. I paid 7 euros in cash for the only additional thing I purchased (wifi access) but asked him what was happening with the money blocked off on my bank card as he didn't say anything about it. He got a bit flustered, shook his shoulders a lot, said "no English" (although I spoke in German) then retreated slowly to the staff office, walking backwards. It was surreal. I'm still not sure what exactly happened. The taxi I booked did show up though which was a relief. I would have given this place a "good" for Service but this final episode brings it down to a "poor".

I think if I was spending a weekend in the city for pleasure then this hotel would be fine. I'd still have had some of the same issues but at least I would have been distracted by all the fun Berlin has to offer. Being there for business I have to admit I was jealous of my colleagues who were staying at places like the Ibis (I know...) The location of the hotel is good though and very close to things.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business