“Lovely hotel, great staff, awful room”

Tryp by Wyndham Berlin AM KU Damm
Ranked #421 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, great staff, awful room”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The hotel is lovely - clean, close to one of the main shopping districts and tourist destinations. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good, the buffet was open for a long time which meant that there was never any queues or waits for food.

Unfortunately all of this was dampened by the room I had. If you are ever offered room 105 ask to get it changed immediately! There are no doors between reception on the ground floor and the first floor, I could hear absolutely everything. In addition to this the elevator is right outside the door of 105. The combination of all this noise meant I had very little sleep for the three nights I stayed.

I'd like to think that if I was on a different floor it would've made a difference, but please note that there were no doors between the elevator and the room facing it - whether that was 105, 205 etc etc. So if you are allocated one of these rooms I'd be asking to change.

It was a shame, my trip was ruined by the lack of sleep I had.

Room Tip: Don't go near anything that ends '05'.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AJM1977
Monika P, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Berlin AM KU Damm, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. We also have single rooms in other areas and we hope we will see you once again. Please convince by your next stay at our hotel.
Mandy Dochow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

A pleasant hotel with the staff being very helpful and welcoming. The room was functional but comfortable and very quiet which was nice ...apart from the church bells at 8am! A good location with plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. Easy to get to the city centre with good transport links by bus or tram. Overall very pleased.

Room Tip: We were at the back (south facing). Not much of a view - just apartments etc but very quiet. The roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pat K
Monika P, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Berlin AM KU Damm, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for your review and your compliments. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and we are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future

Best regards
Stockholm
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Just came home from a shopping trip in Berlin, with a very successful shopping I will say :-)
We arrived quite late to the hotel, and the first we saw was a smiling gentleman that welcomed us. After a quick check-in we took the elevator up to our room (3rd floor) and found a small but cosy room with everything you need (bed, shower, bathroom/toilet).
Breakfast was not included and we paid 12,50 EUR - and it was worth every single cent...great service and very friendly people working.
First day we went the wrong way, so we had a long walk to Kurfurstendamm...next day we took the Uhlandstrasse and reached Kurfurstendamm in 5-7 minutes :-) We bought the Tourist Citycard and I think I have tried most of the U-bahns, buses and some S-bahn for just 16 EUR (2 day card). We did most of the shopping at Kurfurstendamm, but you also have great shopping around the Alexanderplatz (Kaufhof, Alexis etc).
There is also so much interesting things to see in Berlin, the Berlin wall, the Jewish Museeum, Gedächtniskirche, the Berlin dome, Brandenburger Tor etc etc and everything is quite close so you can see most of it in 1-2 Days.
You also had a food store close to the hotel and lots of great restaurants and pubs. So friendly people at all bars, cheering and talking to make you feel welcomed.
NOTE that this hotel is a smoke free hotel (you have to sign a paper that you will not smoke, otherwise there was a 100 EUR fee) which we thought was great!! We really recommend this hotel, a "value-for-money" hotel :-) ....and if I am going back for shopping I will stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a room towards the back yard and there was lots of sounds early in the morning - think they e...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sweden
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here for three nights now in august 2013. A clean hotel with great location in the central of Berlin. The staff were polite och serviceminded. I stayed at the sixth floor and the elevator just went to the fifth floor but what the hell. Could easily stay here again!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Monika P, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Berlin AM KU Damm, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your review and your compliments. We are happy to hear that you had a great stay with us and we are looking forward to welcome you in the near future.

Best wishes
Vejle, Denmark
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Tryp in Lietzenburger Strasse is placed very near to Ku'Damm, U-Bahn and dozens of restaurants. Easy to get to. The hotel in itself is not especially charming - but the room, where we spent three nights, was big with air condition (we turned it off) and Wi-Fi (you have to ask the reception for access), fine bed and so on. Breakfast was fine with a big variety of müssli, yoghurt, eggs, bread, and so on. But I missed bacon for my scrambled eggs! The reception staff was very efficient and professional.
All in all, no complaints from us!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Berlin. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and would be pleased to welcome you again.

Best regards
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 28 July 2013

No doubt Tryp is in a great location with many restaurants, grocery markets and the U-Bahn nearby.

However, we were disappointed to be given a room with no AC and no Wi-Fi although the advertised “Free Wi-Fi” was one of the many reasons we chose this hotel.

Added to this disappointment was the sad excuse we were given when we complained about it.

At check in the hotel was not full and since we requested a “Wi-Fi” code at check in, we felt we should have been given a room where the internet worked.

Be aware that the Wi-Fi does not work at rooms located at the end of the halls. Also, rooms facing back of the hotel have no air circulation and can be brutal when the temperature outside is in the 80's.

I have mixed feelings about recommending this hotel as the I feel the service was poor and not very accommodating.

Parking is E$12 per day and breakfast E$8 per person but there are many options nearby if these prices are out of your budget range.

Room Tip: Choose room facing street, maybe noisy but you have a better chance of getting a breeze. Avoid end r...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations.

I would like to inform you that I have done a follow up with the respectively Head of Departments concerning the issues you have raised. It is only with guest feedback that we can ensure that we maintain our high standards and so this does not affect any of future guests.

Best regards from Berlin
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed here as a part of a business trip in which I had to work nightly hours and sleep during the day. Unfortunately the rooms (I was relocated once) they gave me were both without air conditioning while they're website stated 'partly air conditioned'. I guess this means public areas and a limited number of rooms only. As the sun was shining, the temperature in the room really went up and I was unable to sleep because of it. On top of that the curtains did not fully cover the window, so a lot of light was let through by the curtains. This also does not help in trying to get some sleep. Upon asking about a possible other room I was told that all rooms with air conditioning were occupied and that 'the curtains in the other room may be a bit bigger'...

I then requested an early checkout which initially was not allowed by the hotel without paying for my full stay. After some time and with the help of the front desk lady, the manager ultimately agreed to allow an early check-out with a 1 penalty only.

Not really happy with this hotel as closing curtains should be one of the basic things in a room. All the other things add up to a not so happy customer.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels