“Stay was okay.”

ECONTEL HOTEL Berlin Charlottenburg
Ranked #286 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 15 May 2013

This hotel has been rated a 3+ star hotel and with the ammenties provided, I would think it is anywhere close to 3.5 - 4 star. The hotel staff welcomed us on arrival and check-in was speedy as we already had an advance booking through Expedia with a payment made in full.

From a perspective of the room's amenities, they charge you for anything that you use from the bar. The door to the washroom was more like a see through kind of frost glass door that was semi transparent from the outside but blurred from with the washroom and it just would close unless you put in a lot of effort and pulled the door handle upwards for the door hinge to lock into the side frame. Kind of a tiny space for a shower with no segregation from the toilet. With that said, if you had a shower, you would end up wetting the whole washroom even if you pulled the shower curtain.

My wife and I were booked into a business room on the 5th floor which I think is the topmost floor of the hotel. These rooms have no air conditioning systems and that only means that if you were to visit the hotel during summer, it could get kind of suffocating if you didn't open the windows (but still bear the heat). The window open either fully or from the top hinge allowing a smaller level of ventilation within the room.

This hotel was pretty close to the public transport stops (if you would like to use the Underground - U Bahn in Berlin or if you would like to take a bus to the Tegel airport). you could either use the Metro station - Mierendorffplatz or the Richard Wagner platz stations which are a few meters apart with the hotel almost equidistant in walking distance from both.

The BVG bus station is just outside the hotel (exit the hotel entrance, walk left after exit for 10 metres and you will be at the bus stop on the same side of the sidewalk) and that is an easy shuttle to the Tegel airport. Use the X9 bus that stops there every 10 minutes during the day and is 3 stops to the airport (roughly a 15 minute journey by the X9 bus with a fare of less than 3 euros per person one way).

Breakfast was really nice with a good spread but they normally charge you extra over and above the charge for the room (unless you've booked a room that's inclusive of breakfast) which is 10 Euros per person/day.

In spite of all the above, I might still considering staying here if back in Berlin since the room prices and reasonable and the hotel is based in a convenient location.

Room Tip: Would be better to choose the "comfort" rooms for a few extra euros.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NashP470
Matthias C, Director of Sales at ECONTEL HOTEL Berlin Charlottenburg, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Nash,

thank you very much for your positive review.
It was a pleasure for us to welcoming you.
Hope to seeing you again!

Best regards,

Doreen Kwast
Regional Sales Manager North

There are newer reviews for ECONTEL HOTEL Berlin Charlottenburg

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Econtel Hotel in Berlin. It is fairly close to the a lot of things and there are some nice restaurants close by. The area is quit and that is nice. Best of all we enjoyed the breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Very near the castle and they have a bus service to the airport.

You get what you pay for. Newly renovated rooms, breakfast and nice staff. It is located next to a Vietnamese restaurant and a grocery.

Will definitely go here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Erik S, Verkaufsleiter at ECONTEL HOTEL Berlin Charlottenburg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Dear hotelguest,

thank you very much for your kind assessment and we are very happy about it.
We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you all the best.

With kindest regards,

Doreen Kwast, Regional Sales Manager North

Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

Found everything to be reasonable value and of a decent standard for the price.

Friendly staff and free WIFI too.

Room on 3rd level is small but clean and tidy. Would consider staying again when next in Berlin.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The hotel staff gave me a warm welcome. I asked for a kettle for my room and it was supplied. I asked for ice for cold drinks and was told I had to pay from the bar - but when I explained to the staff that I wanted the ice for water they gave me a smaller amount and did not charge me (ice machines are noisy and use electricity so I am fine with picking up ice from the bar). I was glad I upgraded to a comfort room because last time I stayed the single bed attached to the wall was hard to find comfortable and I kept turning on the light switch on the wall when I rolled over.
I was not very happy to return to my room to find my bus ticket for the return trip from the airport at the other end was missing. However, the staff went into full swing to retrieve it from the rubbish for which i was very grateful. To be fair I had receipts and paper everywhere in the room as I had been looking for some information to contact a colleague and had not tidied up.
The breakfast was disappointing but my request for a special egg was responded to enthusiastically. I guess it was disappointing because there was not much choice for a vegetarian, and the cheese was not particularly fresh.
My room was on the road side and although quiet in the night in the early evening and early morning was very noisy with the window open for some air.
I recommend this hotel as well priced, friendly, and close to excellent transport links.

Room Tip: Upgrade to comfort - request a room on the courtyard side
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Musicbelle
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was there for 4 nights for a exhibition but I will book it for the next time for sure. If we compare the price with the performance, the price is very reasonable. The room was clear and nice enough! The breakfast was variable and enought. I liked the place very much!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We were ripped in the hotel. Hotel room door was locked and key left at the reception. When back from town some our shopping was taken from the room. Personnel at the reception was very arrogant and not once said that they are sorry. Extra work go to the police during a short holiday.
It's a pity that they have unfriendly personnel as otherwise the hotel is worth of the money. Good location and excellent breakfast.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends