“Good value for money and really good location”
Review of Berlin Plaza Hotel

Berlin Plaza Hotel
Ranked #278 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Belfast, Northern Ireland
“Good value for money and really good location”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was our second stay at the Plaza in the past year (my husband has also stayed there on a number of previous trips). It is centrally located and convenient for S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations and the Bus No 109 (costing just over 2 euro per ticket) from Tegel airport has a scheduled stop about 30 seconds walk from the hotel. The rooms are small and have a tendency to be quite warm at night if the weather is good (unusually for the end of April, it was over 30 Celsius during our last day in Berlin) - but we come from a cold climate!. There is a good range of hot and cold food for breakfast and, even when the hotel is full, a table is usually available immediately. Many online booking sites appear to offer good deals at the Plaza - but mainly because they do not include breakfast. Best bet is to book directly on the hotel's website - and check out their deals (particularly "early bird" offers if you know your travel plans well in advance).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank NED541287

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cardiff
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have patronised this hotel several times over the last few years, and had found it a good-value 3-star hotel in a good location. Small rooms, but generally clean and tidy, and I have found the staff generally helpful, breakfast OK and restaurant also OK, serving hearty German food. BUT this time, I hit a big snag. I was given a single room (as booked) on the fourth floor and turned in for a night's sleep. No chance. The bed had seen better days. The mattress was soft and lumpy and the divan base uneven with signs of the springing giving way. The bed hardly looked like it was made to 'hotel specification' - it seemed like a cheap insubstantial domestic bed. I admit I like a firm bed, but this was impossible. Finished up wrapping myself up in the duvet and sleeping on the floor, Japanese style. The next morning, I asked to be moved to another room - and was moved immediately to another similar room -without question. The bed was better and usable, but still rather soft and saggy. I suspect these beds have not been renewed since the last refurbishment some years ago. When I left after my 3-day stay, I pointed out to the receptionist the comments I had made about this problem on the hotel's comment card - she didn't seem too surprised to hear my comments (!), and she told me that some beds have been renewed recently. It would seem the staff know there is a problem. But the management need to get this sorted out. Soon.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank AndrewS60
warrington, england
Reviewed 15 April 2012

we stayed here last month. it was our fourth trip to berlin as we really love the city. i think this has to be the best hotel we have stayed in [in berlin] up to now. friendly staff, clean room, and free hot and cold vast breakfast buffet, which filled us up till lunch. the location is great and easy to find. couldnt fault it. we paid approx £45 a night for two people including breakfast [expedia] bargain!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cazjacko
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel is in ideal location for exploring the sights of Berlin. Rooms are small and basic and could do with refurbishment but adequate for a couple of nights, would have liked tea/coffee making facilities. Staff are very helpful, and the food in the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank kays26
newton mearns, glasgow, scotland
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed from 11/03/12 until 17/03/12.Usual standard of service...first class.You get what you pay for here.I was particularily impressed with the young staff at breakfast they couldnt do enough.Attached restaurant lovely german food and with the 10% discount for cash couldnt be beaten.Staff all round were first class all found a nice homely feeling.Will keep going back.Last word for the cleaning staff...not in your face...if you dont want to be disturbed thats ok...room kept very clean.

Room Tip: Rooms to courtyard and rear obviously quieter but even to the front not to much noise.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank bobmacNewtonMearns
Bangalore
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I decided to go with a ‘Very Good’ rating for this hotel, but only just.

The good part - The hotel is located in Kurfuerstendamm, while it is not quite in the hub of Kurfuerstendamm, it is relatively close by and has good connectivity with the U and S Bahn. The rooms are quite small and was just enough to accommodate the double bed placed in it. The breakfast spread is wholesome and the service at the front desk is also pretty good.

Now the bad part - Berlin is freezing at this time of the year and even more so for people like us coming from tropical countries(India). To my absolute horror, we had no HOT water supply in our room on the first morning. I immediately called the front office and they told me that this was due to the high occupancy in the hotel and there was nothing wrong with the heating system. Well I thought I’d live with it for a day but the exact same thing happened for the next day too and I told them that this was unacceptable. If they had such infrastructural issues, they should let their customers know before they booked the hotel. They stopped short of apologizing but assured me that they would either try to fix the issue or allot me another room.

I was there for 5 days and didn’t get hot water for one single day. Since, I was in Berlin on Business I didn’t have the time or inclination to waste time and wait for the issue to be sorted out. However, to make up for all the trouble I was put through, they did offer me a late check out on the last day. Overall I was happy (not overjoyed) at my stay at Plaza Berlin and would certainly like to try other hotels on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a room whose hot water supply will remain unaffected irrespective of occupancy...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank thomaser
Budleigh Salterton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Great Hotel,position is perfect,fine rooms,great service,superb breakfast and check out its restaurant.Staff are really helpful,very good English spoken. Close to the U bahn and easy connections to all sites.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple