“Best Choce in Gendarmenmarkt”

Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
Ranked #46 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Best Choce in Gendarmenmarkt”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Like much of this part of Berlin, the hotel is new and nice. It looks over the plaza with its rebuilt replicas of antique buildings. The area is the now the civic and downtown center of Berin, walking distance form Museum Island and full of high end restaurants. It is a safe area, clean and secure. A good place for business travelers and a good place to start your exploration of the new Berlin. It is a very nice modern hotel, but as such it suffers a bit from modern hotel thin walls and floors. Several times I could hear guests next door, enough so I had to wear earplugs. But that is the problem with modern travel. You need them now and then. We were there for nearly a week and enjoyed the staff and the great views, the steam and sauna, and free wifi!

Room Tip: We had a suite with a nice little balcony way up high. Loved it.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Patrick63PaulaToo
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, 16 February 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our Ambassadors. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Tina Senfter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
Seoul
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Perfect location close, only a short stroll to the museum island. Lots of shopping and dining around. There is a spa zone on the top floor, but there is no swimmign pool. Room service was quick enough. Hermes shampoo and soap!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, 20 January 2013

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Visiting Berlin a number of times in the last decade, I have kept an eye on those established and new hotels that might provide quality accommodation at a keen price. The Sofitel has in the last few years languished in the second order of TA ratings, but recently it seemed, from reviews, to have improved. As an Accor Club platinum member and hitherto a Sofitel supporter,I tried it in late December 2012. What a mistake: I find it hard to recognise the glowing reports from other reviewers. It really is well below standard.

Firstly, on arrival, I was told that the cost of the room had already been charged to my credit card, though there was no authority to do so ( the room was cancellable at three days notice, with forfeiture of one night's cost after that). I intended to use my A Club vouchers to offset part of the high cost which you can only do on a non-prepaid package. After discussion, this voucher credit was agreed. Secondly, the room itself on the fifth floor was small and far too hot. Now, I know the online booking form makes it clear that the rooms are small, but when combined with hot spotlights that kept coming on on room entry and had to be turned off, hot air from the uncontrollable airconditioning at a fixed 21C, and low ceilings, the overall effect was nearly claustrophobic. The room was like a sauna, even with the windows open and the aircon off. Fundamental room design faults meant the windows opened no more than three inches. The thermometer on my clock showed 22C right through the night - I really don't think it is too much to have a night-time room temperature of under 20C when a thick duvet is provided. All medical professionals recommend 18C.

The following day, I formally complained to the duty manager, Paul, about the heat. He told me that, allegedly, there was a law in Germany that airconditioning could not be used in winter to cool rooms. Arrogantly, he added "what do you expect me to do about it?". He eventually said he would send up his engineer to ensure the heating was off and provide a fan. Well, the heating went off automatically when the windows were opened as I knew, and the engineer (concierge) just showed me how to jam the window open with a cola bottle. As for a fan, the concierge said the hotel just had four and they were all booked out. "Ask again at Reception this evening if you want one in case one is returned", he added! Now, any real five star property worth its name would immediately ensure a guest is supplied with a fan, if necessary going to buy one while the shops were still open. "If there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable, please let me know" wrote the Manager in her welcoming letter.

I could not have been the only person concerned: the talk at breakfast among the few guests there was about the heat everywhere in the building, not just the rooms. And just to make sure I was not mistaken, I dropped into the Hilton five minutes away (where I have stayed) and found the public areas a comfortable temperature.

And there was the incident of the careless breach of data protection. At breakfast the following day, the photocopied news summaries from newspapers from round the world all had personal details of guests staying at the Sofitel in the first week of December printed on the back. The Receptionist to whom I reported this was highly embarassed and agreed to shred all the summaries. But such an elementary mistake should not have been made.

The breakfast price was 28 euros, included for the first two days of my package but not the third. Was it value for money? Not really - there was a reasonable choice of different types of food, though not of cereals; the bananas were going black; and there was no napkin to hold the bread when cutting it - not hygienic. On one day, the server suggested I had some scrambled egg cooked to order: it looked just like an unappetising omlette. The Hilton breakfast is a much better proposition and the Hilton itself evidently more successful.

Any good points? Well, the location is useful; the power shower works; the elevators have glass sides. Not much else.

At checkout, I raised my concerns with the Manager. Paul had reported my concerns to her but she did not take the initiative to apologise until I mentioned them. She said she was sorry that the hotel had not been more responsive. I do not for one moment believe the hotel will actually take any future action to correct the problems. So, my recommendation is to avoid the Sofitel and go for the Hilton for the Mitte area and the Hyatt for Potsdamer Platz.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Quodnumquamscis
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review and I appreciate your feedback. I understand all the frustrations that you had when you stayed with us and would like to pass my sincere apologies.

The heating and cooling system in the hotel unfortunately cannot be operated simultaneously and there was a spell of unusually warm weather during your stay this December. I am very sorry that we did not ensure to maintain a pleasant room temperature for you.

I fully agree with you that the printing of news summaries on re-used documents is absolutely not acceptable and measures have been taken to ensure this will not happen anymore.

I would like to assure you that I take your feedback concerning the attitude of the hotel extremely seriously and that all involved have been addressed to ensure that this experience is not repeated. The impression you gained is not the Sofitel attitude we expect from our Ambassadors to deliver.

Whilst I understand that this does not detract from the issues you encountered at the hotel, I would like to offer my personal assurances that every step possible has been taken, to improve the short fallings you have taken the time to feedback to us, and to ensure that every future guest experience is maintained at the service level we expect and train our Ambassadors for.

Dilbeek
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I spent two consecutive nights here in June because of an international energy conference, held at the same hotel. I arrived quite late at the hotel, but there were still two people at the hotel lobby who were more than happy to help me. Unfortunately, my luggage was sent to Nice instead of Berlin, so I only had a basic set received from Brussels Airlines. The hotel helped me with some chargers and clothes.

The room is very luxurious but rather small, with a very nice bathroom. I was however somewhat disappointed with the breakfast: it all seemed to be delicious, but the omelets and sausages had a weird smell… The lunch provided by the same kitchen was therefore much better.
The location of the hotel couldn’t be better, near all major tourist venues, but in a very quiete street with a nice square upfront.

Oh and for those interested in my luggage: it arrived 24 hours later, right on time to fly back with me to Brussels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt on your visit to Berlin in June 2012.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay although the airline has lost your luggage. We also thank you for the postive review of our hotel.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Berlin,