Apart from the occasional footsteps from above, this was one of the quietest rooms I have ever stayed in. Whisper quiet in the heart of Mitte, in our courtyard-facing room we felt as if we were the only guests in the hotel on a weekend when they were at almost full capacity. The heavenly king bed and the rainfall shower, along with the Nespresso coffee machine, were the best aspects of the room - and the "ambient temperature" heating system was more than sufficient for our needs.
An excellent location in terms of its centrality, it's a 10 euro cab ride to pretty much anywhere you need to be in the city, and there are subway stations galore right around the corner. The staff are very accommodating, and I was pretty demanding to say the least during this particular visit - I rented an electric bike from fahrradstation on Dorotheenstrasse (highly recommended - see Berlin on bike with a luxury hotel as your base station!) and the staff stored it and charged both batteries every time I came back. (Tip: tip! I want to go back and tip all the staff again.)
Another highlight was the Wellness Center on the top floor. The sauna and steam room are well-maintained, and there is a luxurious area to take a shower after each sweat and lie back and relax to the view of the Gendarmenmarkt and glimpses of Alexanderplatz (see photos.)
Other hoteliers take note: this is how a hotel should be run. Not that we would expect any less from the Sofitel, whose name is synonymous with luxury, and who have obviously taken a high-level corporate decision to do everything to maintain this reputation.
The room we stayed in was a courtyard-facing room. We were offered a Gendarmenmarkt-facing room, whose view was delightful, but these rooms naturally have some street noise. Charlotenstrasse is very quiet at night, so even if you take a front-facing room, you should be ok.
You may also like to know that the courtyard room was significantly larger than the street room, with the bathroom separated entirely from the bedroom/living area. I would say it's almost twice the size of the equivalent room on the street side. The bathroom is also larger and more private in the courtyard room - the bathroom in the street-side rooms has an odd configuration whereby anybody using the loo has no visual privacy when the bathroom door is in one position, but if the door is closed in the other position then let's just say there's no aural privacy.
If you're looking for authentic Berlin life, this is not the area to hang out in. I recommend STAYING at the Sofitel, but rent a bike and/or take the train to Scheunenviertel, Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichschain, and Kreuzberg/Neukolln. In Mitte, the restaurants are filled with businessmen and tourists, and while it's pleasant to spend time in the area (Cafe Leon a short walk away on Georgenstrasse is just exquisite), you should take the time to explore the "real" Berlin.
While this is a smaller Sofitel, with only 92 rooms, we had a fantastic time here, and didn't want to leave. It's just as good as any of the large luxury hotels I've stayed at. We will definitely be back. For now, auf Wiedersehen, and we'll be dreaming of our silent king-size bed in Berlin until our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The boutique and designer Hotel Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt is considered to be one of the most elegant addresses in the heart of the bustling capital. The small, unique boutique hotel, with 70 rooms and 22 suites designed by Harald Klein, combines minimalist Cocoon design with unique details, such as the play of light and shadow and of glass and black marble. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Accorhotels.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt Hotel Berlin
- Accor Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
- Berlin Sofitel