“Nice but not the best hotel in Berlin”

Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
Ranked #45 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
gloucester
“Nice but not the best hotel in Berlin”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel, and whilst it was clean and comfortable, I have stayed in better. We (2 couples) had Luxury Rooms on the 4th floor which overlooked the Gendarmenmarkt. The views were stunning, but did get quite noisy at night when there was obviously some filming going on.
The rooms were very nice and we had a Nespresso machine which was a bonus. The bathroom was okay, but wasn't sure about the toilet door which also served as the bathroom door (difficult to describe). The rain shower was fantastic and by far one of the best showers I have experienced. The 6ft bed with mattress topper and lovely pillows was very comfortable and the bedding and towels good quality.
We didn't use the restaurant, preferring to venture out to different restaurants each night. We also went out for breakfast as we felt the 29.50 Euro price tag a bit too much for our budget.
The one thing I did miss was a lounge and bar, as it would have been nice to come back for a night cap before settling down for the night.
Only news channels in English although we didn't watch much TV anyway.

The biggest plus for this hotel was its location which was within walking distance of most of the main areas/attractions we wanted to visit. This would depend on how active/mobile you are of course As 50 somethings we were ok.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city, but I have stayed in better and I have stayed in worse. It depends on what you are looking for. For the money paid most hotels would have had a lounge bar and possibly a pool.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Bonjour,

I am particularly proud to read that our ambassadors exceeded your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
I am sorry that your room wasn't cleaned straight away; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.
Tina Senfter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
stratford on avon
Reviewed 12 April 2014

First impression good, concierge excellent. However, despite information being on booking, not aware of gold accor membership. Breakfast following morning, was cold, and at 29.50 euros per person not what you expect. Found great little place close by with excellent fresh food at 7.20 euros. Left please clean room sign on door at 0915 returned at 1245, room still not cleaned.
Overall, people very friendly and concierge excellent, but results not up to standard.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hapie2006
Bonjour,

I am particularly proud to read that our concierge exceeded your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to him. I am sorry that your room wasn't cleaned straight away.
London
Reviewed 11 April 2014

When it comes to brands, you can almost guarantee that with a Sofitel you're going to get a good room and good service.

In my instance, this was no different. The check-in was effortless and I was given a great room overlooking the square. It was accidental, in that I hadn't planned on being so central, but the hotel's location was fantastic. Everything was in walking distance, and there are 2 different train stations within a 2 minute walk.

I found the staff to be very polite and the room was lovely. Bigger TVs would be nice, but hey you can't have everything. The bed was comfortable, and as always, I love the robes and slippers...

On one of the nights, we came home late, and my wife was craving some sugar. I called down and spoke with the night porter Max. I was shocked at his response : he said 'you are not VIPs so you don't get biscuits'...

Of course, I was astounded at that, and came straight down in the morning to blast the manager. I did appreciate that one staff member didn't speak for the whole hotel, but I wasn't going to let this slide.

I spoke with Tina, who dealt with it all very professionally, sent some breakfast up as an apology and tended to us till we checked out...

All in all a very good hotel, a good location and great staff - I will be back...

Room Tip: Try and pick a room that faces the square. It's beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HellopeopleLondon
Bonjour,

thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I highly appreciate your comments and I would like to personally thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences from your recent stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern Luxury room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Very clean and comfortable hotel. Quiet, yet very convenient location to shopping, dining and U bahn. Good for family trip, business, and get away. Very comfortable beds. Concierge got us the best seats for a symphony comcert.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Bonjour,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

I am particularly proud to read that our ambassador exceeded your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my concierge.

Tasmania
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel was almost perfect - we had booked into a Luxury room, but were upgraded to a Prestige Suite with a lovely view thanks to an Accor Gold card. We were also allowed 2 drinks from the mini bar and were really happy that we could have the wine and the champagne.

The staff were all very helpful and the location is amazing - easy for transport and an easy walk to some of the main attractions in Berlin. It was also convenient for work appointments in the central areas.

The room was really large and had contemporary furnishings; we had 2 TVs and a guest toilet. The Hermes toiletries were very pleasant. Our only complaint was the lighting in the sitting room - it was too dark to work.

We would love to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Bonjour wombatdavid,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our most important goal to make each guest’s stay a special one with our best quality of service and offers. Thank you for appreciating our efforts.

It would be great to welcome you again soon.