“Perfectly situated!”

Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
Ranked #55 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Great location. Friendly staff & quiet room. Nice gym & a little spa department. Will probably book same hotel next visit to Berlin. Only minus is that adding breakfast when checking in costs a fortune

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt on your visit to Berlin. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay. We also thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We also offer rates including our breakfast buffet.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Berlin.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel is perfectly located at Gendarmenmarkt, I don’t think you can get a much better location in Berlin.
The hotel itself is ok but there are a lot of shortcomings which should not happen and which do not happen in other Sofitel hotels.
Being an accord gold card holder I have booked 3 rooms for my family members. I have emailed with the hotel about the reservation, detailing that it was my parents’ wedding anniversary and asking if they could get a nice room etc. Everything was fine, I was even asked when the anniversary was. I was hoping that knowing the occasion the hotel would at least put some flowers in the room. No such thing has happened.
The rooms were all rather small and decorated in dark colors.
The service however was very inconsistent, while my room had a turndown service, the one of my parents did not. My room had to coffee or tea maker, which is really weird. I guess I got the chocolate in the room due to my card as my parents did not receive any chocolate on their pillows.
Breakfast was ok, however I asked for eggs benedict and had to wait over 30 minutes for them, in order just to get some not very well done eggs benedict at the end. So forget the eggs. There is however a wide selection of smoked fish and hams for breakfast which is fun. Service at breakfast was nice but does that really help if you have to wait for over 30 minutes to get some eggs?
Also the service at the reception was ok but nothing more. Staff were cold and distanced, I had to ask for everything myself, I even had to find the breakfast room by myself as no one told me where breakfast was. These are small details but my impression is that this hotel is not up to Sofitel standards.
Even though I always stay with accor I believe that next time in Berlin I will chose a different hotel.
Also I have booked 3 rooms for 4 people…I thought that I would get welcome drinks fir every one, whereas I got one voucher only. Be careful, there is no proper hotel bar, you can use the restaurant and bar which are next to the hotel, nut technically there is no proposer hotel bar. And the restaurant gets very crowded during the weekends so forget the bar…
I believe there are many cheaper hotels in Berlin with the same service. It sort of is the first Sofitel that I am a bit disappointed at.

2  Thank papeetee
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We have checked your reservation again and the note about the wedding anniversary wasn't saved, only the nice rooms with a balcony facing the Gendarmenmarkt. I am sorry for your experience at the breakfast restaurant. As we do all egg dishes à la minute and there is only one show kitchen, it may take a little longer as usual, but I agree that 30 minutes is too long.

Thank you very much for your feedback, only this helps us to get better.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I just finished up a terrific 3-night stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, having booked based on Tripadvisor recommendations, along with a slightly discounted rate for staying 3 or more nights. I was in the smallest room, a "Single Classic," but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It is arranged quite well, and maximizes the use of available space. It might be a bit tight with 2 occupants, but still doable. My room had a balcony overlooking Gendarmenmarkt, which was a nice touch (though not all the rooms have balconies). The location is *perfect*. Walking distance to many, many locations, and U-Bahn and S-Bahn stops are right around the corner, if you want to venture further. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful -- particularly after a sleepless overnight flight from the U.S.

I will definitely stay here again, if I return to Berlin.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank gscooper
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Berlin.

GeneralManager

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have stayed the this hotel before and returned because the staff and property are both top notch (and dog friendly). Berlin is a terrific city and this hotel is perfectly located for the business traveler and/or tourist.

1  Thank kenschwartz

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our most important goal to make each guest’s stay a special one with our best quality of service and offers. Thank you for appreciating our efforts.

It would be great to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was in a great area and the front desk staff was very friendly, but the room itself was very small and cramped for the price. (I have traveled extensively throughout Europe and know that European rooms are typically smaller.)

The cleaning crew was a different story. They would start knocking to come in and clean early in the morning. One day we came back to the room during cleaning and the person was extremely rude about me wanting to leave something in the room. Also, the cleaning team would never leave enough towels and were very stingy with the Toilet Paper. Several days, they only left 1 towel, 1 washcloth and 1 role of Toilet Paper. If we called, they would always bring more, but I really don't expect to need to call...

My only other gripe was that on our first night, the hotel had disabled our air conditioning. Once we asked about it we were told that "a technician would fix the problem immediately", but after speaking to other guests we learned they had the exact same issue. Once they complained, the A/C worked almost immediately.

The restaurant was very nice and had a very good wine selection, but the breakfast was extremely pricey. We had it 1 morning then decided to go venture out for something else.

If I had to do it over again, I would not have stayed here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TexasTriad
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you also very much for your comment regarding your experience with the A/C and the room maid . I discussed these issues already with our technical director and housekeeping manager.

Moreover I am sorry to read that the modern design in our hotel did not meet your expectations.

We appreciate your sharing concerns.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Excellent location at the Gendamenmarkt. Very efficient front desk service. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Get a room looking at the Gendamenmakt. From the hotel you can walk to all the important sites to visit in Berlin. The restaurant, which is separate from the hotel, is very good. The concierge tries to help with museums and other important sites to see. Taxis are parked right in front of the hotel, should you want to use that service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alfredo8074

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

I am particularly proud to read that our ambassadors exceeded your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

An excellent hotel in a super location. Super friendly staff and a warm reception.

The room was, as you might expect in a 5* hotel, well proportioned and very comfortable.

There is a restaurant located in the same building as the hotel, and you were able to use the bar in the restaurant which was very good, compliments to the head barman!

Breakfast was included in our room rate and taken in the Atrium restaurant on the first floor of the hotel. It was superb and again the staff were very friendly and efficient. If I hadn't had a meeting to go to, I would have gone back for thirds!

Valet parking is available, and not too expensive considering it is in Berlin. Again, no problems at all here.

In summary, a very comfortable hotel to stay in and well worth a visit. Look forward to returning the next time we are in Berlin.

Room Tip: Suites on 2nd floor have a super view over the adjacent Gendarmenmarkt square.
1  Thank wjms2014
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Bonjour,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

It would be great to welcome you again soon.