“Overall- A great Experience”

Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
Ranked #48 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Texas
“Overall- A great Experience”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This hotel has a very friendly staff, nice rooms, and nice amenities. I stayed there 4 daye 3 nights and was very impressed. The one thing I was really impressed with was the friendliness of the staff and their ability to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed July 2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Absolutely fantastic and charming hotel. Location is superior, very quiet area in the very center of Berlin, facilities, sauna area, in-door restaurant with beef consome served in a glass bottle, electric lolobye near beds, view to the dome of the French church (we were on the top floor in the corner room with magnificent view, i think the best in the whole building), very friendly staff, and Berlinale film festival at same days with Deny Devito and Tom Kruse dinning around our hotel, the area with plenty of top restaurants, made our stay in Berlin really unforgetable, besides of its historical heredity, proximity to Potzdamer Platz, Kudam, Reichstag, check-point Charlie etc.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We stayed here on our trip to Berlin this month and can't imagine staying anywhere else when we return. It's a beautiful convenient location, and the staff is very helpful. For example, our mini-fridge/mini-bar did not work during our entire 4 days there, but the staff was so nice and worked so hard to try to get it fixed, that we were very impressed and ended up not missing it. The beds are very comfortable.
The restaurant in the hotel (Aigner) is also very good -

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 May 2009

I am a big fan of the Sofitel chain of hotels, this being the 4th Sofitel I have stayed at. The location was wonderful right across from the Gendarmenmarkt square with (free) daily live performances by violinists. Close to any and all cultural sites and shopping options.
The room itself with a fabulous view was smaller than any of the other Sofitel rooms I have stayed in. And no bathtub, only a shower. If I had been staying longer than 2 nights I would have not been happy with that. Otherwise the room was modern and had a Bose sound system. Room service was hit and miss. They either didnt answer their phone at all or did their job just fine! The front desk people were cheerful and helpful. They have no swimming pool but do have a small fitness centre and sauna and steam room as well as an outside deck. I would recommend this hotel to anyone but check to make sure you get room ammenties that you want. I would say this hotel, although a Sofitel, it does not quite measure up to Sofitel I stayed at in Shanghai, Bangkok or Miami. It's more like a mini-Sofitel hotel. It still has a cool factor but not as apparent as in the others. I was surprised considering this was Berlin afterall!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
germany
Reviewed 25 April 2009

Unorganized staff - could not even check out without them running after me out the door saying they forgot to charge me an additional 15 euros for parking when I gave them 6 hours notice that I was checking out. TERRIBLE - Do NOT stay here!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Indialantic, Florida
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Liked this hotel very much. Location is good. Staff is very helpful and friendly. The spa was wonderful and on call even at night. The hotel restaurant was very good, highly recommend. The room was extremely small, and bed very uncomfortable, but room very clean. I loved the bathroom, though small, very nice with large mirrors, cushioned seat for doing makeup/hair, radio in shower, etc. Very traveler friendly. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 January 2009

Let me start by telling you about our loyalty for Accor/Sofitel hotels - we travel a lot on business and private and it is always our first choice. However, it is every Christmas that we return home (Berlin) to see family and friends. This was the first time we did not fancy staying with relatives and with excellent knowledge of the area we decided to book with the Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt (the Christmasmarket at the Gendarmenmarkt is one of the best in the city!). We booked a chocolate special (3 nights) which included a chocolate welcome, two hot chocolates and a chocolate dinner at the Aigner (also a very fine address in Berlin; it has a liaison with the Sofitel). Our room faced the Dom (we upgraded 2x to have the view) but I agree with other comments, I was very disappointed with the layout, size and design. It was extremely dark, the tele was from the 70th (no flat screen but a 1x1m glass box for protection) and took almost half of the already tiny space not taken by the bed. There was one gadget for my husband though, a Bose radio - tiny in size but incredible quality. I enjoyed the bedtime music. This is very Berlinerisch, old fashion Leierkasten music! Now let me tell you some of the more unpleasant experiences: (1) flair: the hotel does not have the typical Sofitel flair, in fact it does not have any flair - what makes it great is its location (the Hilton and the Regent are also 5 star and sooo much better with same location!) (2) noisy: it was the most quiet time of the year, not booked to half capacity, our room was just located next to the elevator and breakfast room, we could hear everything from passersby and the cars on the street (3) service: oh dear, where do I start...let me just say unfriendly, ignorant and arrogant (except front desk) (4) cleaning: disaster, we found the contents of our bin scattered to the four winds (5) daily compliments of the house: this is standard by Sofitel and we wonder what they should have been here... (6) spa: we had the impression that it was there to keep the 5 star rating only - the colour therapy and steam rooms did not function properly and after calling reception a person came to check the same but we are still waiting for a confirmation of whether it is working or not! YES, she ignored us!; the gym was lovely though (7) breakfast: my husband had to remind the waiter and still wait 30 minutes for his omelette - there were only 3 other customers having breakfast with us at the same time (8) apologies: we completed the feedback form and called the manager but as loyalty customers with their highest possible membership we are still waiting today. I am sure there was more but this should provide an inside of our 2007 X-mas experience at the Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt... there is always a black sheep...

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family