I booked a trip with direct flight to and from Berlin from Stockholm and three nights at the Steigenberger near Ku'damm about one week in advance. At about 500€ it was a real bargain, especially with Bauhaus-archiv, Tiergarten and Helmut Newton foundation within walking distance. Being close to Zoo station also means that it's very simple to get to and from Berlin Tegel airport.
I'm usually not the one to select hotel based on the number of stars, but rather by location and reviews made by other guests. I need walls, floor, roof, a bed, wifi and a bathroom to be satisfied (although I've added "a real door" to that list since staying at a hotel that was a bit too run-down even for my taste). Other than that, four- or five star hotels usually offer me nothing that I find useful, but the Steigenberger offered great value for just a little extra money.
The hotel staff was quite friendly and professional. The room was nice, clean, spacious and comfortable. The mini bar had a decent selection of beverages and got restocked each day, as well as an espresso machine with complimentary coffee. The interior decoration was top notch, with a comfortable bed, a large flat-screen TV, a small seating area, and a desk to set up my laptop. The hotel piano bar had a nice nice and relaxing atmosphere, although I only stayed long enough to have a beer and some snacks before going off to bed on my first night. Oh, being able to check-out as late as 3pm was great as well.
However, there are a few things that could be improved a bit.
- My room had a safety box, but it was a bit too small. Passport, money, my extra cellphone and one of my camera lenses would fit inside, but my - ultraportable-notepad-sized - laptop would not.
- Breakfast wasn't included and costs a whopping 23€, so I decided to have breakfast at the hotel only on my last day in Berlin. When I entered the salon - after signing a bill in advance - there weren't a single seat available. Not much of a problem though. I just had the bill torn, but it meant taking some time to find something to eat elsewhere when I had planned to eat and then go straight to the Helmut Newton museum.
- I planned on working out (with weights) one night, but the hotel fitness centre only offers a few threadmills, crosstrainers and an espresso machine. Not exactly what I was looking for after spending a whole day walking across Tiergarten, climbing to the top of the Victory column and stopping by local coffee shops numerous times.
- The water pressure in the shower was a bit weak, meaning that it took a lot longer to shower than I'm used to. The water fixture was a bit loose also, but it didn't break of during my stay. And the water temperature constantly jumped between "steam" and "ice cubes".
All in all, these faults weren't much of a problem to me, and I consider the stay at the Steigenberger great value for my money. I might very well stay there again the next time I visit Berlin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Steigenberger Hotel Berlin - a class of its own! The hotel is known for its traditional qualities and friendly, efficient service. Located just off the one and only "Kurfuerstendamm" shopping boulevard and the famous memorial church, it is ideal for every occasion. In the renovated rooms you will enjoy your stay with bath / WC or shower / WC, hairdryer, telephone, satellite TV, minibar, safe and individually controlled air conditioning. The Superior rooms also offer coffee and tea making facilities, a large desk for business guests and a spacious rain shower. Our Executive rooms feature a high quality Nespresso machine, bathtub and the possibility of late check out until 03:00 pm. In the restaurant Berliner Stube warm hospitality is cultivated with regional cuisine while we serve a light international cuisine in the Destille. In the PianoLounge the "bartender of the year - Gault Millau" - Nicole Bolze - creates delicious cocktails. In the afternoon homemade cakes, coffee and a selection of teas are available. Furthermore, we offer free WiFi internet access in the entire hotel and pool and sauna in our spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Steigenberger Hotel Berlin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Berlin Hotel Berlin
- Berlin Steigenberger Hotel