“Great value and location”

Steigenberger Hotel Berlin
Ranked #102 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great value and location”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I booked a trip with direct flight to and from Berlin from Stockholm and three nights at the Steigenberger near Ku'damm about one week in advance. At about 500€ it was a real bargain, especially with Bauhaus-archiv, Tiergarten and Helmut Newton foundation within walking distance. Being close to Zoo station also means that it's very simple to get to and from Berlin Tegel airport.

I'm usually not the one to select hotel based on the number of stars, but rather by location and reviews made by other guests. I need walls, floor, roof, a bed, wifi and a bathroom to be satisfied (although I've added "a real door" to that list since staying at a hotel that was a bit too run-down even for my taste). Other than that, four- or five star hotels usually offer me nothing that I find useful, but the Steigenberger offered great value for just a little extra money.

The hotel staff was quite friendly and professional. The room was nice, clean, spacious and comfortable. The mini bar had a decent selection of beverages and got restocked each day, as well as an espresso machine with complimentary coffee. The interior decoration was top notch, with a comfortable bed, a large flat-screen TV, a small seating area, and a desk to set up my laptop. The hotel piano bar had a nice nice and relaxing atmosphere, although I only stayed long enough to have a beer and some snacks before going off to bed on my first night. Oh, being able to check-out as late as 3pm was great as well.

However, there are a few things that could be improved a bit.
- My room had a safety box, but it was a bit too small. Passport, money, my extra cellphone and one of my camera lenses would fit inside, but my - ultraportable-notepad-sized - laptop would not.
- Breakfast wasn't included and costs a whopping 23€, so I decided to have breakfast at the hotel only on my last day in Berlin. When I entered the salon - after signing a bill in advance - there weren't a single seat available. Not much of a problem though. I just had the bill torn, but it meant taking some time to find something to eat elsewhere when I had planned to eat and then go straight to the Helmut Newton museum.
- I planned on working out (with weights) one night, but the hotel fitness centre only offers a few threadmills, crosstrainers and an espresso machine. Not exactly what I was looking for after spending a whole day walking across Tiergarten, climbing to the top of the Victory column and stopping by local coffee shops numerous times.
- The water pressure in the shower was a bit weak, meaning that it took a lot longer to shower than I'm used to. The water fixture was a bit loose also, but it didn't break of during my stay. And the water temperature constantly jumped between "steam" and "ice cubes".

All in all, these faults weren't much of a problem to me, and I consider the stay at the Steigenberger great value for my money. I might very well stay there again the next time I visit Berlin.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Magnus O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

My wife, son, daughter in law and myself stayed at the Steigenberger for five days on a visit to Berlin from April 7th-11th.

Our first impressions were all favourable, check in was fast and conducted by very professional yet welcoming staff. Our two adjacent rooms were well appointed and very comfortable with all the amenities you would expect from a quality hotel.

Each day we were checked by hotel staff to ensure we had everything we required, including the chambermaid service who should be congratulated for their attention to detail.

The hotel's location is ideal, within 6-10 minutes walk of the Zoologischer Banhof for S Bahn and U Bahn trains. City buses and tour buses are even closer should you require them. The hotel was marvellously quiet despite its proximity to the main shopping areas, bustling with modern cafés and restaurants.

The only negative point would be the cost of breakfast at the hotel, at 23 Euros, I thought this was excessive, but no doubt of excellent quality, given our experiences of all other aspects of the hotel.

Without exception, all the staff we came into contact with were impeccably professional, yet very very friendly, a credit to the hotel.

I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel as the perfect location for a Berlin city break.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Norman R
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed here only for one night, everything went smoothly.
Ambience a bit cold, but service and professionality at the top.
Wake up call spot on time and generous breakfast, serving also soya milk, which is not always available. Also remarkable the speed in providing the service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank brussella
StbHB31, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear "Brussela"

Thank you very much for your great feedback. We hope to welcome you soon again.

Kusadasi, Turkey
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This month in March during the ITB fair I stayed in this Hotel,I arrived the hotel at 11 am and after the quick Check in procedures I had my room.Room was on the 5th floor and a nice view,weather conditions and other details were good,I mean no problem.Room was not updated,it is not an old room but a little small.At the reception lady who was called Marion was so helpful and a very smiling face to everyone.There was no lobby area and there was only a bar close to the reception area.I used to stay at the outside of the bar because I was smoking and had my service at the outside.weather was so good.Breakfast could be a little beat better ,such as pan cakes ,waffles were not displayed ,Jams and butter were open.No fresh cooking such as omelette.Service was ok,your coffee is always ready when you ask for it.Price with the hotel if you book throuhg internet it was almost 220 Euro pernight inc breakfast.Cleaning there was also no problem but TOWELS were really need to be changed immediately.They were not white it is getting grey every day and were so hard.Still there was abath curtain but in other this kind of hotels curtains dosent exist anymore.

2 Thank sadunalp
Netherlands
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Visited this property (as I do each year for a trade fair) aganin beginning of March.
Room was excellent, check-in was swift, free wifi was good and welcomed, and breakfast was still as excellent as I remembered from previous years.
Location: I still have to find another property that balances location and quality like Steigenberger, i assume that this was not my last visit and plan to return in 2015.
No need for me to go elsewhere, since I get everything I need at this fine hotel!

3 Thank DutchTravelagent
StbHB31, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Berlin, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear "DutchTravelagent"

Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

We look very much forward to welcoming you soon again - at the latest for the trade fair in 2015.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Steigenberger at Ku'damm is one of my favorites in the area. It is a very good value, the hotel is well kept, the staff is fantastic, and the location is great. The only hiccup this trip had to do with the room itself. It was somewhat musty/smokey (non-smoking room), and no matter what I did with the thermostat, I couldn't get the room temp below 23C (I like it cooler) without opening the window wide.

Room Tip: I have always had a very quiet room at this hotel.