“Quiet Hideaway Steps from Tiergarten”

Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof
Ranked #27 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Background...first time in Germany. Stayed in Berlin for 5 nights. Great walking weather, not too hot. Love trying local food and drink.

Hotel...staff were very welcoming and the concierge gave us legitimate local (non-touristy) places to check out. We did jump on one the tour buses...don't judge me...but they were very convenient since they go to a lot of areas that the trains don't and you can just hop on and off. I'm a big advocate of immersing myself in a city, so do try to use the local transportation - its simple and reliable. Room was fine, Nespresso Machine w/ coffee and free bottled water daily.

Gym/Spa...very modern and interesting layout. Not a huge space, but the workout area (with modern equipment and super modern Pilates equipment) overlooks the lap pool which extends below the workout area. Large windows above the pool fill the area with light and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Location...great off the beaten path location. Quiet, green, and safe. Close to shopping, beer gardens, local food stands, Tiergarten, Berlin Zoo, transportation, and nightlife! If you're a runner there are many great paths to run - along the perimeter of the zoo, along the river, and through the Tiergarten.

Beer Gardens...a great place to grab a meal, a beer(s), and people watch. By far one of my favorite things to do everyday. Great mix of locals and savvy travelers. Chatted with many locals, good times.

Overall...unforgettable experience. Location might be a bit off for some, but I liked the quiet after a day in a bustling city. One perk that I didn't mention was that the hotel had a lounge on our floor right off the elevators that had a view of the city and had self-serve Nespresso coffee. It is available in the morning and late afternoon, but it was a great little refresh after returning from a day out walking and before returning to the room. The hotel is also near the gay-borhood and is LGBT friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,465)

999 - 1,005 of 3,466 reviews

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Great welcome at reception and pleasant check-in. Although, I did feel like I had arrived at an exhibition centre when first walking into the hotel lobby. My big problem was with the room...... For the money I paid I was expecting something a little bigger to be honest, bigger bathroom perhaps, full size bath. The biggest problem was the room temperature which was far too hot, along with the corridor and lift outside. Hotel technical services could not seem to make it any cooler. Far too many silly decorative light fittings all producing enormous amounts of heat like that of a small radiator. I did overhear other guests complaining about this too. The hotel bar area was functional but not that comfortable and somewhere I would not spend a long time. Generally, I found the hotel very busy and not relaxing, certainly breakfast wasn't. One of the main features I was looking forward to was the pool, unfortunately I checked out early and chose a more traditional and intimate hotel nearby.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pyrotech
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The hotel is conveniently located in central Berlin, near the shopping district of the Kurfürstendammstrasse. The receptionist welcomed me in a genuinely friendly manner, and check-in was a breeze. My deluxe room on the 5th floor was spacious and included two free bottles of mineral water, a coffee and tea making machine, and a very large and comfortable bed.

I did hear snoring coming from neighboring rooms in the night, but otherwise everything was quiet. Make sure you ask for a room facing the back of the hotel if street noise is an issue for you. There is a fee for internet access in the room, but there are four computer terminals and a printer on the second floor with free access.

Breakfast consisted of a very good buffet including freshly cooked eggs, however the surcharge of €24 is pretty steep. The hotel bar made a good Hugo (I tried two to make sure) although its proximity to the reception area keeps it from having an intimate feel. We dined at the hotel XXenia restaurant and found the various dishes to be quite good.

A big plus is the possibility to book an early check-in for an additional €30 so if you want, you can get into the room starting at 10 a.m., which is great for a quick shower after arrival at the nearby airport.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back are quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jackson9305
Reviewed 25 January 2014

There is nothing wrong with this hotel, but there is also no reason to recommend it. The staff is indeed very friendly and the room was clean. At the same time we felt like the hotel was overheated and we did not enjoy the breakfast area. The breakfast itself was great with anything you like. The sauna area is not very charming either; there is not much space and we were missing a quiet and relaxing room. There is no wall to the pool so you cannot really relax. The hotel is about 10 minutes by foot from Bahnhof Zoo. It is a good location if you like to go shopping. Otherwise I would prefer a different location during the next visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Biene_12

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We enjoyed our 4-night stay at this hotel. What impressed us most were the professionalism and helpfulness of the concierges, the comfort of the bedroom, the quality of the breakfast (which was included in the deal we had) and the ease with which we could access public transport to get around. We also enjoyed being able to watch BBC1 on the good quality room TV, which was nice after a busy day out. I was a bit disappointed that the pool was closed for refurbishment and I didn't really want to have to go across the road to access the one in a neighbouring hotel. The purpose of our visit was for a short break/visiting relatives. We used the buses, U-bahn and S-bahn to get to where we wanted. The transport system is cheap, regular and completely reliable, serving both airports and reaching out to the suburbs. The concierges were brilliant at making suggestions about the most appropriate form of transport for our needs, even printing off the train times we needed for catching the airport express at the end of our trip.

Room Tip: Our 8th floor room overlooked the zoo. We could hear the traffic a bit at night. As other people hav...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We use the Pullman Schweizerhof quite regularly as a business hotel; however I brought our 4 year old on our last trip before Christmas. I was very impressed with the value, help and friendliness of the hotel staff this trip.

It was a "long planned" trip, so we got excellent early booking value, child stayed free, inclusive of breakfast and excellent help in restaurant from staff during several breakfasts.
Staff in pool were great, gave child great confidence in water, very safe environment.

Evening child menu not stunning, but used KaDeWa restaurant instead (pasta by the 100g - great selection).

Could not believe how family friendly a 5 star business hotel in a capital city could be, very very impressed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street - it's very quiet; they overlook the Zoo and city centre...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business