“Informative and enjoyable”

and up
Berlin Third Reich Small-Group Walking Tour Including Topography of Terror
Ranked #79 of 370 Tours in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Context organizes scholar-led walking tours of Berlin that are capped at six people maximum. The aim is to create an in-depth learning experience with a lot of back and forth between the participants and the guide, who is usually a university professor or researcher.
Melbourne, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Informative and enjoyable”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We have been on Context walks in Rome and a customised tour in rural Italy. We've really enjoyed these experiences, so when we went to Berlin we decided to use Context Travel again. We went on the 'Introduction to Berlin' walk around central Berlin with Julian. The emphasis of the walk was on how Berlin has decided to remember its past. Julian showed us a number of sites from various stages in Berlin's history. It was fascinating. I was particurlarly taken by the memorial at the Bundestag to the men who had tried to stop Hitler passing the Enabling Act in 1933, the site of the Fuhrer's bunker and the memorial to the book burning in 1933 when 20,000 books were burnt. Julian was knowlegeable, stimulating and charming. The walk really helped me to comprehend present day Berlin much more than from guide books and web sites I had read beforehand. I feel it has contributed positively to my remaining time in Berlin and I would highly recommend it. I wish I had more time to do more of the Context Travel walks in Berlin.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank JennyR261
paul_bennett_123, Owner at Context Berlin Tours, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Jenny,

Thanks for your feedback. I spoke with Julian and he very much enjoyed his time with you that day. Thanks for all the great questions! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Best,
Context

Toronto
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous tour”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We took the art tour and the typography of Terror tour. Both tour guides were unusually knowledgeable, personable and friendly. They were able to modify the tours to accomodate our personal interests,

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Nina93
New York City
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“An inspiring tour of the Neues Museum”
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Julian gave us the inside scoop on the world-class Egyptian collection at the Neues Museum on Museum Island. He was extremely well-informed about the rare ancient art objects—their iconography, how they were made and used, who made them, and why—and also divulged the back story of the dramatic, newly renovated museum building itself. This very intriguing Context tour was well worth it and highly recommended.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank dale_river
Arlington, Virginia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Great tours with very knowledgeable guides”
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I did the Wall Walk with Context Tours. It was great, and very informative. The guide was an experienced historian and provided lots of interesting information. I have done a number of tours in Berlin, and this one included a lot more in-depth historical information than the more touristy ones. Highly recommended!

Visited March 2011
4 Thank ksd8y
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Living up to its reputation in other cities”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We spent an afternoon with a Context scholar, Julian, in the dead of winter, wandering the streets and subways of Berlin to investigate the Berlin Wall, then and now. Despite constant driving snowfall which obscured many of the things Julian wished to show us, the Walk was well organized, informative, and really, quite captivating as Julian explained the history, culture and current effects of the Berlin Wall. Julian helped our family to a greater understanding of the effects of the schism on the life of Berliners, east and west, and dealt well with the history, as well as the complex questions that have survived reunification. Berlin is an amazing city, full of art and cultural treasures, redefining itself, learning to live with, respect and explain its history. Context has never let us down in terms of detailed and stimulating presentation in any city, and I am grateful that Berlin is now on their list. My special thanks to Julian, who accommodated my disability flawlessly, substituting narrative descriptions for video clips I could not understand, and stopping to ensure that description was provided of all the major sites. Another wonderful experience with Context. Thanks very much.

Visited December 2010