“Phenomenal”

and up
Berlin Third Reich Small-Group Walking Tour Including Topography of Terror
Ranked #77 of 393 Tours in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Context organizes scholar-led walking tours of Berlin that are capped at six people maximum. The aim is to create an in-depth learning experience with a lot of back and forth between the participants and the guide, who is usually a university professor or researcher.
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We booked a private tour with Context on some friends' recommendation. This was my husband and my first visit to Berlin and we met some friends there who joined us on the tour. We decided on the Topography of Terror. We were really lucky to get Heri as he was remarkably knowledgable about German history and quite charming. Because this was a private tour, we could customize it however we wanted. One of our friends on the tour was German and also up on his history. He was quite impressed with Heri. Berlin is such a great city and has staged a phenomenal comeback. To know the history enhances the experience. We trusted the information Heri gave us, and thought the tour was professional, interesting, and a great experience.

1  Thank snowprincejuneau
"knowledgeable docents"
"scene tour"
"guide aaron"
in 2 reviews
"answered all of our questions"
"walking tour"
"small group"
"his knowledge"
"fantastic tour"

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We have been on Context walks in Rome and a customised tour in rural Italy. We've really enjoyed these experiences, so when we went to Berlin we decided to use Context Travel again. We went on the 'Introduction to Berlin' walk around central Berlin with Julian. The emphasis of the walk was on how Berlin has decided to remember its past. Julian showed us a number of sites from various stages in Berlin's history. It was fascinating. I was particurlarly taken by the memorial at the Bundestag to the men who had tried to stop Hitler passing the Enabling Act in 1933, the site of the Fuhrer's bunker and the memorial to the book burning in 1933 when 20,000 books were burnt. Julian was knowlegeable, stimulating and charming. The walk really helped me to comprehend present day Berlin much more than from guide books and web sites I had read beforehand. I feel it has contributed positively to my remaining time in Berlin and I would highly recommend it. I wish I had more time to do more of the Context Travel walks in Berlin.

1  Thank JennyR261
paul_bennett_123, Owner at Context Berlin Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Jenny,

Thanks for your feedback. I spoke with Julian and he very much enjoyed his time with you that day. Thanks for all the great questions! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Best,
Context

Reviewed 16 December 2011

We took the art tour and the typography of Terror tour. Both tour guides were unusually knowledgeable, personable and friendly. They were able to modify the tours to accomodate our personal interests,

1  Thank Nina93
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Julian gave us the inside scoop on the world-class Egyptian collection at the Neues Museum on Museum Island. He was extremely well-informed about the rare ancient art objects—their iconography, how they were made and used, who made them, and why—and also divulged the back story of the dramatic, newly renovated museum building itself. This very intriguing Context tour was well worth it and highly recommended.

1  Thank dale_river