“Kreuzberg: Counter Culture to Cultural Capital” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Berlin Third Reich Small-Group Walking Tour Including Topography of Terror
Ranked #79 of 366 Tours in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Context organizes scholar-led walking tours of Berlin that are capped at six people maximum. The aim is to create an in-depth learning experience with a lot of back and forth between the participants and the guide, who is usually a university professor or researcher.
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Kreuzberg: Counter Culture to Cultural Capital”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

My docent, Robert, is a native East Berliner and former Kreuzberg resident. He was really friendly and extremely knowledgeable about the area and Berlin history. It was fascinating to hear his stories about life before and after the wall, having lived in both sides of the city. Seeing the history of the area unfold in its architecture and cuisine gives you a glimpse into the changes the area and the city as a whole have undergone in the last 50 years. I definitely recommend this tour if you want to get to know a different area of the city and find out more about the history of the underground scene in Berlin.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank rlgardner01

Stavanger, Norway
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Best Part of our 4 Days in Berlin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

I generally try to shy away from tours and walking tours because I don't like being herded around and fighting to hear someone speak in a large group. When I heard that Context does walking tours for a maximum of 6 people and uses qualified and knowledgeable docents, it seemed like the perfect fit. My husband and I joined 1 other man and our docent Heri for the Topography of Terror walk. Heri was fantastic and so knowledgeable. As a born and raised Berliner, we loved his personal stories that he was able to bring to the tour. We will most definitely be looking into more Context tours when we travel to other cities.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank JJReid1030
Wilmington, Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Topography of Terror Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

We had the privilege of meeting and learning from Robert Sommer, a WW II and Nazi scholar. This was one of the most interesting tours I have ever experiences. It is so important to understand what you are seeing from the eyes of an expert. I highly recommend context tours to anyone who values a true commitment to travel, discovery and learning. You can have all three and have fun at the same time!!!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Warren_RN123
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best part of the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

I was actually told about Context Travel from my grandmother, who found an article in her florida newspaper about it. I was so happy she did. i traveled to germany/berlin for the first time, with a friend, and we had our own private group (which we didn't plan in advance, but were happy with the outcome) for the Introduction to Berlin tour. Chris was our docent and she met us promptly and happy to start. we were able to go at our own pace and ask any questions - without feeling bad to hold anybody up. she was very knowledgable - even answering questions that we assumed she wouldn't know! we kept passing by large groups of tourists and couldn't help but feel slightly superior with our tour over theirs. it's probably a bit more money than a big group tour - but it's absolutely worth it.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank kaitong12
Charleston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Phenomenal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

We booked a private tour with Context on some friends' recommendation. This was my husband and my first visit to Berlin and we met some friends there who joined us on the tour. We decided on the Topography of Terror. We were really lucky to get Heri as he was remarkably knowledgable about German history and quite charming. Because this was a private tour, we could customize it however we wanted. One of our friends on the tour was German and also up on his history. He was quite impressed with Heri. Berlin is such a great city and has staged a phenomenal comeback. To know the history enhances the experience. We trusted the information Heri gave us, and thought the tour was professional, interesting, and a great experience.

Visited June 2012