“Great place to stay”

Ranked #66 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
york
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

It was my first time staying in a Motel One, I would definitely stay there again. All the staff were very helpful with everything. The room was a good size and very clean. Great breakfast. Overall a great place to stay in a great location.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
MIljan D, General Manager at Motel One Berlin-Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you very much for staying at our Motel One. We are very pleased that you felt comfortable with us. We´re looking forward to welcome you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bodrum City, Turkey
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stylish with large lobby and quiet outside garden. Super friendly, helpful and professional staff. Good wi-fi and loaner iPad available with passport as deposit.
Rooms were nice, bathrooms clean and bedding very good. However rooms had no safe, mini-bar or telephone. While the lobby bar had everything from great beer, wine and lattes, an in room fridge would have been nice keep those spoilable German souvenirs cool. An in room safe was not essential, but at least in-house telephones were badly needed. I was staying with a group of 8 all in separate rooms, on multiple floors. All of us were from outside the EU and needed to call room to room to organize and keep in touch. Our foreign cell phones (some did not have smart phones) were expensive to use even with special international call plans. No phone of any kind was really a hindrance. The great location 1 block from the central train station made early departure and overall travel around Berlin easy. I would stay here again, but not with a group

Room Tip: Sleep Tip: Garden side nice if on any floor. Train station side good if on a higher floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank BurgerHunter
Thank yor very much for your detailed feedback. We are very pleased that you felt comfortable with us and will choose our Motel One again.
Lutherstadt Eisleben, Germany
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My best business bet in Berlin. Any company budget can carry these rates and any traveller will appreciate the closeness to the main railway station! We zip in and out of Berlin and prefer to stay at this great location. The hotel is a beehive of smartly dressed young professionals and leisure travellers. Accommodations are made up of small, clean, functional and color coordinated rooms with free wifi. The large main lobby serves as breakfast room, reception and lounge at night. Breakfast is generous and plentiful and can be eaten at a choice of dining style tables or in casual seating areas with a mix of wingback chairs and bistro seating. In the evening the Motel One Cocktail special invites to stay and chat. There is outdoor lounge seating in the summer. The staff is accommodating and friendly. The nearby railway station offers great connections to all points of the city and round the clock shopping and dining. The value for the money is perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms to the inner court are quietest.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your great feedback. We are very pleased that you felt comfortabel with us and looking forward to welcome you again soon.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I knew what to expect as had stayed at a Motel One several days earlier and this hotel was pretty much as I had expected. Room was clean and modern, heating was great and once again we had the TV that turns on to show a roaring open fire- loved that touch in December! We hadn't gone for the breakfast at our stay the other Motel One but decided to here, were happy that we did as the selection was pretty good. The only negative was that despite there seeming to be plenty of space when the lobby is empty, it was pretty hard to find a table and we had to stand around waiting until someone left and then elbow several other people out of the way to claim our spot. But it was worth it for that fresh fruit salad, and darn those croissants were good!

We were getting a train at stupid a.m on New Years morning so thought this location would be ideal and it was. Was easy to get around Berlin using the Hauptbahnhof as an easy base, good to have a central point if you are unfamiliar with a sprawling city.

Overall, no complaints, would stay at any Motel One again although if we went back to Berlin and weren't having to get up at 6am on New Years Day would probably pick another location

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
MIljan D, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Motel One Berlin-Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 18 November 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and really enjoyed our stay. Our check in was quick and painless. You pay on check-in. We asked our receptionist a number of questions on travelling around berlin and she double checked for us on the internet. Very friendly. Our room was on the 10th floor so had decent views. The room was a typical Motel One room. Comfortable, basic, stylish and clean. En-suite was very modern, granite and clean. Loved the tear drop showers. We used the wifi throughout our stay. Strong signal on the 10th floor. I would highly recommend this hotel chain for their central location, comfort, reasonable prices, good food and great service.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor. Views are better.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
The Rustbelt
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed at Motel One for a weekend in September. Great location for Berlin; right at the Hauptbahnhof. It was kind of crazy with all the construction.

Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Everyone, including bartenders, housekeeping, reception. Pleasant lobby.

I got very annoyed when I paid my bill and they asked me if I wanted to pay in dollars or Euros. I thought it was a nice gesture that I could save the 1% fee on my cc for foreign exchange.

When I returned to my room I looked at the receipt and noticed that they had charged me 3% for this service, costing me an extra $10. Further, the hotel must have known this is a ripoff, since it stated the receipt that this is irreversible once you sign it and you fully accept the exchange rate. Other guests, in the past, must have noticed this later as I had and tried to reverse their decisions later.

So, I guess I am partially at fault here; I should have read the agreement closely; in my defense I had traveled over 10 hours. Nonetheless, not a nice gesture. Hope this review saves someone else a few bucks or euros or whatever.

It looks like the US-style corporate model of having great, helpful, friendly employees working for greedy, nickle-and-dime management has crossed the Atlantic.

I left with that dirty feeling you get when you have to deal with Time Warner Cable, American Airlines, a cell phone carrier, or some other shady US corporation. At least the room had a shower.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Atlanta Georgia
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have stayed at the Motel One Berlin-Hauptbahnhof on three separate occasions. I have always been very impressed with the front desk staff, who have been consistently courteous and helpful. I am very impressed with the concept. Give guests what they need and don't spend money giving them things they don't need. You get two little packets of soap. One Shampoo, and one body wash. Make them last. You do not get a phone, everyone uses cell phones. You do get Wi-Fi access. The room is just big enough to old the furniture and allow you to move around. Pretty typical size wise to European Hotels generally. Bathrooms are probably a little on the small size, unless you frequent small town bed and breakfasts.

I cannot extrapolate this good review to other Motel Ones, however. I have two other Motel One reviews where the manager is apparently trying to cut costs by limiting air-conditioning to the point of discomfort.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
MIljan D, Manager at Motel One Berlin-Hauptbahnhof, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very pleased that you had a great stay at our Motel One and we´re looking forward to welcome you again.