“great hotel”

Novum Hotel Gates Berlin Charlottenburg
Ranked #222 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I was a little worried when I read some of the reviews but we found it was a very friendly and clean hotel. After the first night we asked for an extra pillow each which we got straight away.
It was nice and central and we enjoyed the breakfast but there was plenty of nice places to eat and drink near by and the local shops were great.

1  Thank gillian e
There are newer reviews for Novum Hotel Gates Berlin Charlottenburg

Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Two block walk to above ground metro that will take you anywhere. We appreciated enough out of city center that it was very quiet but many good places to eat nearby. As stated in other reviews pillows non existant but otherwise hotel nice and would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Kkoleary
Reviewed 10 November 2013

On the plus side:
- well located for both U and S Bahn access
- a short stroll to Ku'Dam
- the neighbourhood felt safe to walk about late at night
- a broad choice of restaurants nearby
- breakfast offers a varied choice and the breakfast staff are very pleasant
However:
- the safe and a few lights in our room didn't work
- the walls and floors are thin so we were treated to the noise of our neighbour's TV until the early hours of the morning
- on our departure day, housekeeping were very annoyed with us because we weren't ready to leave before 9am - the handbook does say that you have til 11am to check out
- pillows aren't the comfiest

All in: a good base if you want to explore the city.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Clean in a great location only a few minutes walk from a couple of stations and main shopping area. Plenty of cafes and restaurants near by with loads of choices. Found all of the staff to be friendly and welcoming. We got a great deal on flights/hotel and had breakfast included have to admit even though there was plenty of choice didnt feel it was worth €9.50 per person each day and certainly would not of paid that amount of money for it but for those that dont take that option there are at least 4 cafes within 2 minutes walk where you can get breakfast. Would also add if you're not an early riser try to get a room at the back we overlooked the street and were woken every morning at 6.30ish by the refuse collection!
If you like firm pillows then be warned these are extremely soft and even with extra pillows still too soft (had no problem in getting extra pillows from reception) however would not let that stop me staying there again.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Clean and well located in a very pleasant and convenient. We had a very large room for 4 with a four metre high ceiling and huge windows. A lot of restaurants in the neighbourhood. We rented bikes and drove through the big zoo park everyday to go downtown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I booked on line specifying twin beds, and had it confirmed on an email print out. When my friend and I were shoed the room it had a joint double bed. I explained that was not what I booked. The receptionist argued with me that they were not aware and for the next time (!) I should make sure that I let them know. We were then allocated to another room with twin beds. On arrival into that room one bed was unmade, the other bed looked like it had been slept in, the bathroom had a used towel hanging up and a bag of rubbish on the ledge. On further complaint one bed was made and the "used bed" was left in the same state, the towel was removed, however the rubbish remained on the shelf. When I requested that the "used" bed be made I was told that I could make the bed but there was no one that could make it for me until the next day. I took the rubbish to the front desk myself. I also reported that there were two light globes broken in the room, the receptionist noted this for maintenance to fix, however over our three days stay this was not rectified. At the time of my complaint about the used bed to the receptionist, another guest overheard my conversation in the lobby and stated that she too had experienced used "filthy " towels in her room that smelt. We were not offered any recompense for the state of the room. I could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Donna H
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We arrived at the hotel 4 hours earlier than our check-in time and the hotel staff were very friendly and kind and let us keep our suitcases in a locked room so we could go and explore for a few hours before check-in, without lugging our suitcases around!
All staff spoke good English and we always found them extremely pleasant and ready to help when we needed.The room itself was very clean, we paid extra for a double bed and I am so glad we did because the bed was just SO comfortable! We had a TV with mainly german channels, although we did manage to find a music channel and news channel in English. We had a lovely little outside area with a table and chairs. We had our room cleaned every day whilst we were out and our towels changed everyday as well. The location was just crazy! The hotel is literally 2 minutes walk away from Ernst Router Platz Station, which itself was pretty central to everywhere. We bought a 7 day ABC travel ticket for something ridiculous like 35E and it was well worth it! We were back and forth on the underground and subway everyday and evening! The hotel is situated in a really lovely quiet street, with plenty of choice for restaurants (although the majority are Italian!). There were also 2 places we could get breakfast from a 30 second walk down the road from the hotel.

Really great value for money here! I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple