“What could have been...”

Mercure Berlin Tempelhof Airport
Ranked #134 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This hotel has great staff who are really attentive. I stayed in this hotel a couple of weeks ago and was placed in a (huge) room, but what was supposed to be a non-smoking room, smelled like smoke anyway, so I decided to ask for another room. This was possible and I was given a nice room that looked fresh and clean. So far so good.

Internet is charged at 9 euros per day or 35 euros per week. I find these charges outrageous, especially when you can only use 1 device at a time (if you want to connect your iPhone, iPad and laptop at the same time, you have to buy 3 codes!). On top of that, the internet connection was not working in the lobby on 2 days that I've tried it. Staff was really trying to help and resolve the problem, but with no results. The girl in the bar felt so guilty that she offered a complimentary drink (I told you, staff is great here).

On the second visit, I was supposed to stay 5 nights, but checked out before even having slept 1 minute.The room was really dirty, a huge stain on the chair, another chair that was really worn and didn't look that fresh, a lot of hairs on a supposedly clean bed (hairs on the pillows, blankets). The girl from the reception even brought me 'fresh' linen. Unfortunately, also that set was really dirty. I've included a couple of pictures to support my story.

If hotel management is reading along on Tripadvisor, take my advice and at least make sure that your furniture and linen are clean; it's the least you can do for your guests. I will most likely never return to your property, even though the location is great for me to get to my office.

I have now relocated myself to a hotel that's a bit further away from my office, but that's a small price to pay for a clean environment.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Stefan H

Reviewed 23 March 2013

I used this Hotel as a business stop over for 2 nights and found it overall very clean and tidy, the staff I found where helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The food I found very good, using the bar meals in the evening and breakfast in the restaurant, first class. The rooms were warm and clean meeting my basic needs, the mattress was a like hard for my liking and the only tip I would give is bring your own room refreshments, as bottled water is 5 euro’s a 1L bottle and Wi-Fi is also extra. In conclusion I felt it was good value for money and would stay there again.

Room Tip: bring your own room refreshments
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank anthonystirk
Reviewed 8 March 2013

It is not often that I get a hotel room upgrade, so being assigned an executive suite was a lovely surprise. The hotel is an older property so the rooms are large and public areas already generous.

My room was a nice size with space for a desk, and couch plus of course a bed, with room to spare. Furnishings and finish are of average quality with the usual Mercure toiletaries in the good-sized bathroom. Overall a little tired but not an issue. The queen sized bed was of average comfort.
The room comes with a free bottle of water, an expresso machine, but no tea facilities. Free water and coffee is readily available in the lobby area.

Wifi is chargeable, but only average ~ an OK speed, but this is not really good enough when one is paying.

The one downside of this property is that the location is poor. At least 25 minutes from the main tourist sites and nothing of interest in the area. Not close to businesses.

Room Tip: Suggest courtyard facing room, quieter than facing onto major road
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We arrived at about 11.30am and they allowed us to check in immediately, which was excellent, because we had expected to leave our luggage there and come back later. Although the Hotel wasnt in a very good location, we had no problemn getting to the centre on the metro.The rooms were as expected, clean and nice big bathrom. The breakfast was outstanding, everything was lovely, hot food as well, their scrambled eggs were gorgeous! When we arrived back the first afternoon, quite tired, in the reception area they had put out hot Gluwein and biscuits, which was very welcome,and Free! That was a great thoughtful touch, and something was put out every afternoon.Price of the hotel was good, would stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Was in Berlin for two nights on business with my wife and this hotel was booked on our behalf by the company I was visiting. It was convenient for our destination which was a plus but the surrounding area/neighbourhood looked very grubby and was clearly a poor area. I didn't ever feel unsafe but neither did I wander too far either!

The staff was friendly and efficient and the room a good size and spotlessly clean. The lighting was terrible though. Breakfast was good but at €16 each it should be.

No free wi-fi in the room, but you could use the PC's and printers in the lobby free of charge.

Overall, nothing to get excited about but no horror stories either.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

Hotel is not in city center. Around 20 minutes in Ubahn and station is 5 mjn walk from the hotel. We had a vip room which was really big. Nespresso machine was in the room and fresh coffee in the morning made me happy. Staff was very friendly.
Please take a note that wifi is not included which is a bad surprise in 4 stars hotel. For nespresso only 4 capsules were provided and no tea.

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We (family with toddler) stayed here for a few days while I had business. It is a chain hotel, but a clean one. The room was big, and the sofa bed did fine for our son. We lived in Berlin for a while, so knew how to navigate the metro fine. We also knew the reputation of Neukölln--working/immigrant class neighborhood. It is exactly that, with more low-cost shops, ethnic food vendors or restaurants. But it was not unsafe. The price was a bit steep in my opinion, but Berlin hotels aren't often the cheapest. (as opposed to its flats!)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family