“Just perfect” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Helsinki
“Just perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Hotel Intercontinental Berlin (5 stars) is situated in the center of the town, overlooking the zoo and nearby the famous KaDeWe one of europ's biggest warehouse. It has 2 parts, one 14 floors high on the zoo-side and the other 8 floors overlooking the city.Arriving from Tegel-airport by taxi takes about 15-30 minutes depending of the traffic. When we reached the hotel, our suitcases ware taken by the concierge and brought to our rooms. Check-in personal was so lovely, we thought, that we are their very best friends.My daughter's family had a junior-suite in the 12th floor and I had a club de Luxe room. We are both more than satisfied with the space and the cleanless. I think, it is worth paying a bit more than a cheaper hotel and be happy as can be.

The club-room I had, alowed me to use the club in the 8th floor. For my daughte's family I paid aditional for their access to the club. The club is a place, you do not want to leave. The stuff is very engaged and they do their work with "full heart". They have time for you and give you all the help you need. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the club, which was a very quiet place to sit. The breafast is not so large as in the ground-floor restaurant, but the food is exceptionel good (I can asure you, because I am member of Chaîne-des-Rossiseurs) and served very beautifully like on the 4- or 5-satrs cruising ships.

There is a large spa-aerea, which my daughter and gran-child loved. Only thing which is strange: you must be undressed in the sauna (german law).
Next time I come to Berlin, I shall come back to the Intercontinental, for sure!

Room Tip: Take a club-room if you can afford it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Genussreisender

thank you for your thorough and so positive review of the InterContinental Berlin. Your gratifying words have been shared with our teams.

I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed our hotel and until you return, I wish you similar experiences around the world.

InterContinental Berlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

this hotel is excellent.
the location is great - in front of the hotel you have a nu 200 bus that can take you anywhere you need.
the bus stop is as near as can be to the front dor
breakfast is very good -
the spa is very good- a relaxing quiet place and you can order drinks and snakes
you can walk to the shopping area with inn a few minutes
if you are willing to pay, this is the hotel for you

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Tamar

thank you for staying with us and for reviewing us with such delightful words.

See you soon back in Berlin.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

In terms of the room, the stay was pretty good and comfortable. As a plat ambassador, our junior suite was upgraded to a senior suite.

Only problem with the stay was with the housekeeping staff. House keeping staff let themselves into the room a few times when we were still sleeping in the morning at 830-9 am twice and in the evening at around 5 when I told them to come back at 8 when we were gone.

Another problem encountered was the inability of the printer to print out my bill which extended the checkout period to around 15-20 minutes.

Apart from these problems, hotel staff, especially the front desk staff were extremely nice and friendly in general.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank jh c
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear jh

thank you for staying at the InterContinental Berlin and for leaving a review with useful hints on your stay.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by our housekeeping staff. Please let me assure you that it happened with the best intentions. At the same time, you have the possibility to switch on a "Do not disturb" light (DND) within your room which lights up red outside. Then, no team member will try and enter your room. If you still wish for your room to be cleaned, you can give our Guest Service Center a call and they will arrange for the housekeeping to attend to your needs.

All in all, I am confident that we will be able to make your stay even better next time.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We arrived very early morning from Paris on the overnight train, tired but soon perked up by the very warm handshake and welcome from Melanie in the club lounge. She was so friendly and made us relax straightaway.
We had a fabulous club room on the 8th floor, one of the best rooms ever stayed in, the bathroom was huge and the bed very comfortable. All the staff in the lounge were lovely and the facilities in there well worth the money, food and drink most of the day until late evening. We found this really very helpful as we came back from one trip at 330pm in need of something, and found the snacks buffet from lunch still available. I have never had this in any other hotel and we were very glad of it. The spa is very clean and inviting, I had a treatment and my husband used the gym, all excellent.
The recognition of ambassador loyalty is also well done here. We had fruit, water, sweets and welcome letter on arrival and a drinks voucher.
I really don't think you could want for any better than this, certainly one of our favourite Intercontinentals. Thank you all for making our stay so wonderful and for all the small nice touches, they do make such a difference. Fabulous hotel.

Room Tip: Club room 8th floor the way to go.
Dear glencroft365

a warm welcome is the essential start to a relaxing and comfortable stay and I am pleased that your experience shows that especially the Club Lounge at the InterContinental Berlin will always greet you with this hospitality.

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I'd class this as a pretty good all round. We were in Berlin for a short break. Had 2 rooms, one twin and one king.
Location is OK. The shops (KaDeWe) are a 10 minute walk, but the main tourist attractions are a U-Bahn or bus ride.
Rooms are not huge, but come with everything you need. Beds are comfortable and showers good (I'm tall so this can be a problem, but wasn't).
Breakfast is excellent. Very good selection and very tasty.
Overall, pretty good value.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Scott

thank you for your review of the InterContinental Berlin.

The InterContinental Berlin has a wide variety of rooms which also vary in size from about 30 sqm to 200 sqm. When you tell our teams upon reservation what your preferences are, we will try to meet these with the reservation we make for you.

Therefore I hope to see you again here in Berlin and to wow you next time.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Went to check in. Had booked Junior Suite and as IC Ambassador, upgraded to Senior Suite but did not honour request for smoking room although returning guest. Have stayed here many times over the past 10 years, most recent stay in February. The check in lady said that the hotel was full and so could not offer smoking room. Whilst I understand that a full hotel presents problems, a supposed 5 star hotel should look after its returning guests but they did not seem to care or take any notice of my request on the reservation. I refused the room (the receptionist didn't really care) and booked into the Waldorf Astoria who were able to honour my requests immediately as a Hhonors Diamond. I have really tried with this hotel in the past. We have had some great stays and some really bad stays and I have now decided that I will never return to the hotel. They just don't care or make any effort to accommodate guests preferences.

For reference, the reservation was made 6 weeks prior to the stay and I cannot understand why more effort was not made to allocate a smoking room to a returning guest who is an IC Platinum Ambassador.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Baflyer50
Dear Baflyer50

thank you for your honest feedback following your experience at our hotel. Please let me first of all ensure you that you as a loyal guest of our hotel and InterContinental Ambassador are very important to us. We are sorry about the way your request was handled and that we did not offer you a solution on site.

We generally do not offer Senior Suites in which our guests may smoke of which we should have informed you upon reservation. Additionally, we are always happy to learn about your and other guests' preferences but on the other hand, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to meet them at all times. But you may rest assured that we - and that means each member of our teams - will try our utmost to do so.

I have been informed that our Front Office Manager contacted you and that you were able to clear the prevailing misunderstandings and find a viable solution. Therefore I hope that you will return to the InterContinental Berlin in the future.

Amsterdam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was the third time we stayed in this hotel. The cleanness went down dramatically compared to last two times.

Check-in:
We reserved a junior suite with club level access. The lady who checked us in said that we had a deluxe room, I told her that we reserved a junior suite and I gave the name of the person who made the reservation for us. She panicked and walked away. She came back and asked us to wait. She did not say anything further. Then I asked if there was something wrong. She said no and then maybe. She did not want to say what was wrong, although we figured it out ourselves. We waited for 15 minutes before we were given a room. We had the same room as the first time. Don't like it if the receptionist does not tell you what is wrong.

Cleanness of the room
The room was not spotless. The ventilation system is the toilet is full with dust. The sink was not clean and the living room was ok. Last time the room was much cleaner. Especially the ventilation system was extremely dirty.

Cleanness of the spa area
When I arrived in the dressingroom the laundry baskets were full. I stayed approx 1 hour in the spa and pool. When I came back more towels and bathrobes were in and in front of the laundry basket. Nobody cleaned the laundry. The floor in the shower was dirty, as well as the floor in the spa area. Last time they cleaned the spa area several times per day, now it looked like they did not.

Turn down service
We arrived late on Thursday night so we did not have turn down service. On Friday the turn down service arrived but they did not clean our room on Saturday night.

Club level
We love the club level. The service is very good. The food is perfect. We had good experiences here.

There was a smell in the hotel (in the lobby and in the elevator). I don't know what it is but it smelled.

Check out was efficient.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dutchguy71
Dear Dutchguy71

thank you for staying at the InterContinental Berlin repeatedly. You returning is a compliment in itself. Therefore, it was very important to me to hear about your experience and to discuss your feedback with our team.

Please let me assure that I brought your review to the attention of the respective teams as cleanliness is of utmost importance to us and even more for our guests. The same is true for the attentive service towards every guest even if there is a challenge we have to resolve.

I sincerely hope that this impression will not keep you from returning to the InterContinental Berlin in the future as as you described last time, you loved staying here before. Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I wish you many interesting travel experiences.