“Lovely/ Great location”

GreenLeadersGold level
Weston, Massachusetts
“Lovely/ Great location”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I spent a week here in May for business & pleasure. Located right next to the Tiergarten, I was able to rent a bike and enjoy this lovely and large park every day. The staff was friendly and helpful with filling my day with activities that were within walking distance including the Berlin Zoo, Wall museum, and shopping.
The property itself has two differnt towers, one that is modern with bold colors and modern furniture & accents (west) and one that is a little more old world safistication(east). We stayed in the West tower, which was well layed out, however the work space/desk was a little too compact for the business traveler. The features and amenities in this room were more for the leisure traveler. We stayed in the East tower during the same trip when we returned from Munich. This space had a large desk and classic features which both my husband and I would have preferred while working. The East Tower is also were the club lounge is located- as well as the pool and spa.This property is a mecca for large scale conferences- so several were going on at the same time as ours. One very nice feature is if you do stay in the West tower, there is a 2nd floor passage which eliminates walking through the often clustered lobby and brings you directly to the pool, spa & elevators for the club.
The standout for this property is the club. As part of the ambassadors program, for a small fee you can enjoy this lounge during the day and early evening. The view and feel of this open space were comfortable and welcoming. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch and early evening cocktails here - and the staff- specifically Stefi- were amazing. It was my birthday during our trip and she arranged for my husband a cake, champagne and flowers all without my knowledge. Plus her working knowledge of the city and where to send me was beyond helpful- more so than the actual concierge.

Room Tip: West Tower for modern feel, East Tower for more old school feel and its also where the spa, pool &am...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Cplamo,

Thank you so much for this kind and detailed review. I am delighted to read that you and your husband have enjoyed a memorable and comfortable stay with us. We always focus on creating unique experiences and enjoy surprising our guests. Like you, many of our guests appreciate the exclusivity and comfort of our Club Rooms and all the effort our team is putting into personally caring for our guests.
I am looking forward to welcoming you again in Berlin.

InterContinental Berlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We used our “free weekend night” Ambassador certificate and stayed here 2 nights in room 837. We stopped by the front desk and asked for access to the club floor so we could check in there. We were greeted by Katrin B with whom I had corresponded a few times by email. She was so friendly and said it was good to put a name together with the face. Although I have been a member of the Priority Club for many years (maybe 10 or so), I never set up my profile page until a few months ago when I noticed that it would always default to smoking for my room choice when I made a new reservation. Even though I always changed this to non-smoking on the booking page, my profile still defaulted to smoking so since I had booked this reservation several months ago before I realized this, they had assigned me a room that was sometimes used for smokers. They said the first 4-6 rooms by the lounge were sometimes smoking. Of course, in my opinion, I think everything should be non-smoking. This caused some confusion, and they offered to move us to a different room the second night since the hotel was full the first night, and it was too late once we mentioned this in the early evening, but the next morning I was told at breakfast that the Guest Experience Manager, Fred de Smet, wanted to speak with me. He came to the lounge where we spoke for about 15 minutes. He was very professional and explained the future goals/plans of IHG group, and especially those affecting Intercontinental. Stefanie P., Julia B., and Carolin V. also worked in the lounge and were above and beyond for everything. Top notch customer service. As far as our room, there was no great view-just the neighborhood but not high enough to really see any Berlin landmarks. There was a mini-bar to which we had total free access plus an area for our own personal storage. I’d bring Diet Cokes back from the lounge since they only put one per day in the mini-bar. There was a small TV in the bathroom, but we didn’t use it plus a large, but not huge, good TV with about 80 channels in several languages in the main room. There were plenty of available outlets, always a plus! Besides the free, daily restocked mini-bar, we also received a large bottle of water each day. The king bed was very comfortable with 2 individual duvets. There was a safe in the bathroom. The bathroom was large with a separate shower (rain shower and hand held device) plus a very large bathtub. (It was very slippery so I almost went under water every time I tried to adjust-not a problem just very clean). The room was hot when we arrived but did cool off fast and stayed cool for our 2 days there. We also received a late check-out of 4pm but did leave an hour or two earlier. One concern was the frosted bathroom toilet door-it wasn’t up to the level of privacy we Americans like for those occasions!
We were told that we could have breakfast either in the lounge or in the restaurant. We were also offered a 25% off voucher for dinner in the main restaurant but ate out instead for some real local cuisine. (see my reviews of Alte Berliner Wirtshaus, Elefant, and Sophieneck on TripAdvisor.com) We had breakfast in the lounge the first day and received personal attention and service but a few less choices although almost as many. We opted to try the restaurant the second and final morning. The service there was less attentive and much more “hit or miss”. It took over 10 minutes before I finally got someone’s attention to let them know that no one had stopped by to take our drink orders. Later, I asked if they had tomato juice and then had to remind them 10 minutes later before they finally brought me a glass. I am sensitive to the sugar in fruit juices! I noticed that too many of the servers in the restaurant walked around with their heads down where as the attention we received in the lounge was just so much better and always included eye contact. I never dealt with the front desk except to gain access to the lounge floor upon arrival. I did feel the guy was expecting a tip by his reaction when I just said “Danke” as he made it possible for us to access the lounge floor. The concierge was friendly when I stopped to buy a couple of 3 day Berlin transportation tickets although the Bus 200 didn’t run most of the time we were there due to parade blockages and other detours. This meant we had to walk to U or S station, about 500m or 1/3 mile to go anywhere. This wasn’t the hotel’s fault but did provide my only concern about this hotel’s location. We did give up one time and took a taxi to dinner since we were running late when we realized that the bus wasn’t running that evening, but I rarely use taxis unless I really have no other choice. I had told some of the people in the lounge that the only reason I would not stay there again was because of the location and the irregular bus service (the Berlin trip planner page on the Internet showed these routes working so again not the hotel’s fault but an inconvenience!) , but after staying at the Hilton Berlin the next night, I will be back to the Intercontinental. Except for location, the Hilton had nothing close to the Intercontinental in service, professionalism, upgrades for status, and a “real” Executive lounge, etc.
Thanks again to everyone in the lounge for such a welcoming and relaxing stay! We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear DisneyParis,

Thank you so much for this extraordinary detailed review. Like you did, many of our guests prefer the Club InterContinental because of the exclusive atmosphere and the provided amenities like separate check-in, free breakfast and sauna access. One of our goals is providing an attentive and courteous service in all of our departments at any time and that is what we work for every day. Regarding to our location with the bus 200, which normally runs every 10 minutes, the hotel has perfect access to public transport and to most Berlin sights and districts.
Nevertheless, I learn from your evaluation that you had a memorable stay and I will be delighted to welcome you again in the future and to show you the hospitality of all our teams.

Seattle
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Usually I write Pros and Cons reviews. This hotel had no cons.
The hotel staff was absolutely wonderful from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff to the bar and breakfast staff. The room was comfortable and quiet. The spa and pool was wonderful and the included continental breakfast was one of the best continental breakfasts I've ever had at a hotel. The variety of food available was incredible with tastes for all cultures and nationalities. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Shawn H,

Thank you for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to read reviews like yours and I am even more delighted to hear that from your point of view we do not have any cons, which show me that we are on the right track. I am looking forward to welcoming you again.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Hi
The room was very small
Very luxurious with nice bathroom , thick towels, smart tv , free internet etc

But the room is small
No place to put my clothes outside the suitcase but only to hang 6-8 items
Iron board not in room , you can ask and they will provide

Food was great, very nicely arranged big variation

Stayed July 2014
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear yaki a,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Berlin. Our hotel provides several room categories, which differ in the interior design and their size. During your reservation our teams are looking forward to advise you or to show you the room upon check-in, in order to find the appropriate room.

hong kong
Reviewed 6 July 2014

intercontinental berlin lives up expectation totally for the purpose of this trip ...
its location is good ..5-7 minutes walk to bikini berlin and 15 minutes walk to the shopping area ...
the room type stayed this time is deluxe and it's spacious with modern design ...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear ilovetravel-2010,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am pleased to read that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed the location, shopping opportunities and the design of our rooms.

Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The InterContinental is a large conference hotel. It therefore lacks any intimacy. After check in, we had to walk through a vendors alley of some trade fair to reach the elevators of the west wing. When there is no event, the lobby and corridors are just huge and empty.

Having said this, service was great. You can not go wrong at an InterContinental. Always very reliable and the Berlin property is no exception. All the benefits for the ambassador program were in place. Nice upgrade to a large renovated room on a high floor overlooking the Zoo.

Beds are always very comfy. But If you are looking for a bit more space, a more contemporary room and a separate shower, you will have to choose a deluxe. It is quit a difference from the a bit disappointing standard rooms. The design of our deluxe was not the best InterContinental design we know, but it is still ok (it gives away it's relationship with the Dorint Heumarkt Cologne). But renovation did not go all the way leaving the old door panels visible, making the door a really prominent object in the otherwise relaxing room.

Internet is for free for IHG members (the membership is free). A Coke from the minibar will cost you 5 euros. Expensive, but about the going rate at a five star hotel. As an ambassador we got one drink, fruit and miniral water for free.

We liked the location. In a quit corner of town within easy walking distance of the Zoo, the KADEWE and the new Bikini center. Bus 200 (bringing you to all the tourist spots and transportation hubs) just in front of the hotel. Tegel airport by taxi is under euro 20,00 away.

Breakfast selection and quality off food was very good. The ambiance of the breakfast room was a bit outdated, but we were able to sit out site on the ter. Having a decent selection of bio food is a pro. Breakfast is expensive, so make sure you have got a rate which includes it. The InterContinental Berlin is one of only a few InterContinental hotels offering free breakfast for ambassadors (valid till the end of this year) when they book a best flexibel rate. The hotel staff did not know about the offer, but when I showed them on the internet site they were very happy to confirm the free breakfast in my reservation.

It might not offer the luxury feel of the Adlon, Grand Hyatt or Waldorf Astoria, but therefor it offers far better rates. Altogether we were very happy with our choice.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KeesE,

Thank you for being an ambassador and for your detailed description of our hotel and services. We are always interested in our guests’ experiences to improve our daily work. As you mentioned the InterContinental is a large hotel and offers a lot of space for our guests and for conferences and events. For increased comfort, I would like to recommend our Club InterContinental for your next stay. With an extra charge of 90 Euro for non-members and less for our loyal Ambassadors per night you can stay in one of our Club rooms and benefit from an exclusive atmosphere with separate check-in, free access to the Club lounge with breakfast, snacks, Wi-Fi and sauna access. Please let me quote the description by some of our guests, who say that it feels like a hotel inside a hotel.

I am delighted that we could not only convince you with our rates but also that you enjoyed our InterContinental standards and our substantial breakfast buffet.
I hope we will welcome you again in the future,

General Manger
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in December having secured what can only be described as a bargain.

The hotel is stunning and in a fantastic location. We walked, we used public transport and we explored. The hotel proved to be an excellent base.

Our room was stunning and had the most amazing bathroom. The breakfast in the hotel was also a particular highlight.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Matt B,

thank you for staying with us and your short but meaningful review. I appreciate your opinion and could not better summarize.

See you again during your next stay in Berlin.