“Outstanding in every way”

Ranked #30 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“Outstanding in every way”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I do hope that the manager reads this review and shares the positive feedback with his/her staff.

This hotel is excellent and, in my esteem, one of the top two or three InterContinental hotels worldwide (and I have stayed at dozens of IC properties all around the globe!).

I was served by a trainee member of staff at reception, who was impeccable in friendliness, politeness, appearance and professionality. I generally found that the employees at this hotel were very amiable and grounded; the general atmosphere was incredibly pleasant. Maybe this is just a unique Berlin spirit! But it was certainly the absolute antithesis of the abhorrently stuffy atmosphere at some other IC hotels (e.g. London) created by aloof, over-attentive (read: nosy) and 'corporate' staff.

The Club Lounge was exceptional in all the most important aspects: the atmosphere, food and beverage offering, and knowledgeable staff. There is abundant locally-sourced produce (cuisine, spirits and non-alcoholic drinks), which is a unique and very welcome - it is great to have something that is different to the usual mass-produced rubbish at other hotels, and it really ties in nicely with the IC 'in the know' philosophy.

The room was clean, adequately large, and faultless. The bathroom had a heated floor: perfect.

Although I may have to marginally renege on my review title, as the lobby area is a little dated and could do with refurbishment within the next few years. This does not particularly matter to me, as the only time that I spend in the lobby is at check-in/-out!

Just please get rid of Agraria, and bring back Elemis!

Room Tip: There are Reichstag and Tiergarten views available to my knowledge, these would be preferred.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank zlost
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear zlost,

Thank you so much for this extraordinary detailed and enthusiastic review. Especially your compliments to the team are very much appreciated and I assure you that I will share your feedback with them.
Furthermore, it is an honour to read that in your opinion the InterContinental Berlin is one of the best InterContinental properties worldwide. The same applies to your praise for the Club InterContinental with its Club Lounge. Because of all the benefits and exclusive atmosphere many guests experience our club with its services as a hotel in a hotel - and that’s what we want. I believe this is the reason why you perceived our lounge as something special.

Dear Zlost, Thank you again and it will be a pleasure to welcoming you in the future again and to repeat these experiences.

InterContinental Berlin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I can strongly recommend staying in this hotel. It is the top quality in all aspects. From my room I could see most of Berlin (which doesn't apply to all rooms :-), the staff was very nice and helpful, breakfast was fabulous, localation in a greenery, etc. So really good value for money :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear PavK007,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I wish you many more memorable stays at the InterContinental Berlin.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

First stay at Intercontinental hotels and I was very impressed by the whole package - lovely foyer and reception area, great pool and spa area, and very elegant and high quality rooms. Very nice lemon fragranced toiletries, comfy beds, and luxurious towels and bath robes. Breakfast was similarly impressive - an extremely comprehensive selection of every description, from the standard hot food, to real honeycomb, and a bar to brew your own tea. We didn't dine in during our 3 night stay - but the Hugo's restaurant on the top floor was well recommended.

Only downsides were an extremely small television of the 19inch variety at an awkward angle to the bed, although the selection of programmes was good. Free wifi was available, but pretty dire bandwidth. Shower was powerful but strangely fitted to the side rather than the end of the bath which meant the bathroom flooded since there was no seal on the bottom of the glass panel. We also had to book two rooms as there didn't seem to be anything to accommodate a family of 4.

Overall hotel very much recommended and we enjoyed our stay - staff were very helpful and friendly. Close to Zoo and KuDamm, and reasonable for X9 bus from Tegel - try and get a tower room for a good view.

Room Tip: Higher floors in tower block will have excellent views. Spa/pool quite quiet in the evening.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dale S
Dear Dale S,

Thank you so much for staying the first time at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and for your constructive feedback. I am delighted to read that you were impressed and enjoyed the whole package.
From your review I learn that you were accommodated in Superior rooms in our east wing. These rooms are characterized by moving design elements such as the TV cabinet. Unfortunately, the position is not comfortable for watching TV from the bed. For this reason I would like to recommend our west wing rooms which were lately renovated in 2010 and feature bigger flat screens positioned right in front of the bed.
For accommodating families we offer different possibilities which depend on the children’s age. Toddlers can be accommodated in their parents’ room on a sofa-bed or a rollaway, but above a certain age we only have the opportunity to provide a Senior Suite or two rooms, to ensure a comfortable stay. Our reservations team is ready to advise you upon your next stay to find the most suitable accommodation for your family.
Dear Dale S, Thank you for recommending our hotel and I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon, maybe during your second stay at InterContinental Hotel & Resorts.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a great hotel. Rooms are nicely decorated and really top notch. Service is great. Book a room with breakfast included; you won't be disappointed! The 200 bus stops right out front and this will take you to many tourist spots.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Colleen R,

Thank you for evaluating your last experiences on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that our service and hotel facilities met your expectations and that you have enjoyed your stay. I fully share your opinion that our breakfast should be enjoyed. Most guests prefer the wide range of cold and warm dishes and start the day invigorated with our breakfast.
I am looking forward to welcoming you in the future again. In the meantime I wish you a sunny and restful summer.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel has to be experienced to be believed. It Is perfect on many levels. Centrally located, clean, efficient, and for a big chain hotel it is rare to feel 'at home' and comfortable it is so friendly and warm. The breakfast is the best I've ever enjoyed at a hotel. The spa is amazing. What makes this hotel so special, unique and the best in my view are the staff...the people who make it work. You are recognised and treated like a guest. Geraldine at reception is especially delightful, as are the restaurant staff . Always happy, smiling and friendly. I would say however, that the concierge guys are not included in this praise! I highly recommend this hotel. Superb!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Danny H,

Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to comment your stay at the InterContinental Berlin. I am truly delighted to read that the team made such a great impression and that our hotel facilities met your expectations. Nevertheless, I am sorry that we were not able to convince you with our concierge service, but we will work on it to do so during your future stays.
Thank you for recommending our hotel and I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Have traveled the Globe and stayed at many IHG properties, the Berlin Staff, their prompt respectful attention to Detail places Intercontinental Berlin on the Very Top Shelf of Intercontinental properties. Guest Director coordinator Fred de Semt is the perfect person for the position.
Worried because my daughter arrived before me, and my international flight was cancelled due to middle east problems, the staff assisted me with the maximum of efficiency, kindness and concern. Fred actions continuously reflected favorably on the IHG, the intercontinental berlin hotel, the entire staff and Fred himself. The concern and interest my our well being was evident throughout. Do not bypass an opportunity to "rest" at this splendid property. Thank You IHG Berlin - great leadership and customers first approach.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear tech4africa,

Thank you for sending us your kind feedback which is very much appreciated. I am delighted to learn that our team made such a great impression and will forward your comment especially to Mr. de Smet.
Our guests comfort is very important for us and reviews like yours show that it is worth to go the extra mile to create memorable experiences. I wish you many more pleasant stays at the InterContinental Berlin.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Spend a week here with my daughter and really enjoyed both the room, the surroundings and the staff. My daughter loved the pool and I loved the garden and the sun. Right next to the zoo and the subway.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Robert_P_Herr, General Manager at InterContinental Berlin, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Anna E,

Thank you for staying with us. I am pleased to read that you and your daughter enjoyed our amenities and felt at ease. My team and I are looking forward to your next stay.