“A Berlin visit”

Oscar & Co
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I'm cheating again. I go to Berlin a lot. It's my favourite city, but Tripadvisor only let's me review specific places, so this time I choose Oscar's. This is just off Potsdamer Platz. It serves excellent coffee and fine German food. The staff are all helpful and friendly and speak enough English to make you comfortable if you don't have a word of German (I confess after all these yearss of visiting Germany I still only have a smattering of German).

If it is your first visit you have to see Potsdamer Platz, I suppose, but it is like going to New York and only seeing Times Square. The Berlin I love is in Prenzlauerberg, or Charlottenburg or Friedrichshein. These are suburbs of old East Berlin, and the mood is friendly, eclectic, easy-going. The S Bahn and U Bahn train services get you to every part of the city and outside it. You might, for instance, spend a day in Potsdam, and visit the amazing Sans Souci Palace. But in Mitte there's the big cathedral, and the not far from there the Egyptian Museum. Personally, I don't sight-see so much as wander the streets wherever I go, sitting in cafes, eating in small restaurants, and just relaxing, soaking up the atmosphere.

I could go on forever. If you're just looking for places in Europe, you should try to include Berlin. I recommend getting an apartment (www.airbnb.com/Berlin have loads, all over the city), but otherwise there's a zillion hotels to choose from.

I started out this review with Oscar's and you could start there too, It's German, it's good food, great coffee, warm service and it's slap in the middle of Berlin.

Enjoy!!

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We didn't eat here (although the food looked good from what we saw). We went a couple of times to have a drink and people watch on the sofas outside (there were blankets and patio heaters!). Not badly priced for the location and the service was prompt. Try the "Watermelon Man" cocktail if that's your bag. Very nice.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

After arriving in Postdammerplatz, looking for some dinnner, we ended up in Oscar & Co. Every place nearby is touristic, so if you want to grab a bite near the metro station, you'll end up in one of the touristic bars or restaurant.

After sitting down, and reading the comments, we didn't realy expect much. But it was actually pretty good, friendly service, good food adjusted to wishes. A bit pricy, but that's what you get in this area.

Never the less, it's worth a visit!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Lovely place serving German and wider European cuisine. Lovely to sit under the trees on the couches outside and sip Gins and Wine. The food portions were big and the service efficient. Only gripe would be the wine list was almost entirely German and was still expensive.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Surly waitress, food ok.no atmosphere. We were a commodity. Steak well cooked but for 20 euro nowhere near big enough dish, few potatoes and no veg to speak of - onion sauce. Pizza was overcooked. Schnitzel, large, and thankfully my wife had chips and these were plentiful and so I finished them at the end of my steak.

Classic example of overpriced mediocre food that relies on us tourists stopping by - I think their regular customers will be few and far between, but with so many tourists they must be making a fortune.

Wish we had gone to Hackescher Markt - plenty of atmosphere to go round there.

Credit card accepted if spending over 25 Euro - no trouble doing that!

1  Thank MusicLover186338