“Perfect for a business trip”
Review of Estrel Berlin

Estrel Berlin
Ranked #209 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Lisbon, Portugal
“Perfect for a business trip”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel during a business trip. Besides being a big hotel, I found it comfortable and clean. It is far from the city center, but it fits the purpose if you are going to stay in the hotel area. Breakfast is amazing. The best I've ever had.
For travellers, this hotel may not be the best decisions. However, for business trips this provides you a complete service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Diana B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed at the hotel from 13-17 Jan 2014 to attend major business event ... on night of 15 Jan, big gala dinner and party was on the agenda ... got back to the room late ...

When I walked in, I found the toilet lights switched off ... surprised, coz I left with all lights on when I left in the evening ... Felt an immediate rush of fear and panic, looked across to the table and sighed relief that laptop and other gear still around ...

Next check, my luggage ... why are all my zippers opened!???!! DAMN! I found my cash stolen (a few thousand ...just the bills, thieves did not want any coins!) and things rummaged through ... I threw on my jacket and rushed down to the front desk to report the burglary ... what stumped me was the response - " You are #3 Sir and the police is here in the hotel now ..." Got back to my room, checked everything thoroughly - found they took my iPAD mini from my work case too ...

Police came to my room, took my statement and checked the lock ... it was clear, there was no forced entry, lock was working fine etc ...

That night and after, 2 nights in a row, I could not sleep well ... kept waking up in a panic , kept feeling sense of fear ... sense of being violated (imagine, these strangers went through my things, looked at my passport, pictures of my family that I carry around ... personal stuff ...) ...

I do not know if I should laugh or cry, but when I was packing my bag for check out on the last day, these thieves took my shoe bag too!

When I checked out on 17 Jan, duty manager could only offer me "I'm sorry sir, I hope you enjoyed your stay and see you back with us soon" ... nothing else, no offer of compensation, no offer of 'free stay', nothing ... I was speechless ... ya, right ... fat hope ...

Reflecting back and sharing the encounter with my 2 other colleagues who were 'hit' too with break-in (they too lost stuff like Bose Headphones, USB chargers, cash, after-shave, iPAD, camera?) - we can't help but feel this is some kind of 'insider' job ... too coincidental that all of us were hit on the same night, during an event when the gala dinner was scheduled ... lots of booze, dancing and late night ??? last count I was told, there were 5 rooms broken into...

For anyone out there planning an event or stay - seriously re-consider ... there are no CCTV cameras on the floors ... if you want a room with a safe, you pay more for it, not a standard feature on all rooms ... the hotel is located in a quiet part of Berlin, feels run-down and on one street (I recall seeing), surrounded by 'squatter' type living spaces ...

Having travelled widely, to some far flung places, stayed in worst/less secure/less comfortable hotels, I must say - I am extremely disappointed with this experience in supposedly a 4-star hotel, in a re-known city and a first world country ... sigh ...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Aries7sg
estrel, Sekretariat PR & Marketing at Estrel Berlin, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Aries7sg,

We handed over all documents and evidences to the police concerning this case. Unfortunately, up to now we have no information from the police that a suspect was found. We will take all efforts to clarify this issue.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us.

Estrel Berlin

P.S. You are right concering the lack of a safe in every room. Our hotel does offers safety deposit boxes at the front desk for free.

Travellers are raving about these Berlin hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I suspect that you would only stay here if you were attending a function at the convention centre! The hotel rooms are comfortable and well appointed. There is a good on site gym. There is a train station is a short walk away providing good access to the city.
Service was minimal and food basic.
If I was visiting Berlin for pleasure - stay closer to the city!

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MrsHuxtable
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights without breakfest. Room had nice shower and confortable bed, but view from room was on trail tracks and windows could not open.

When i arrived home i was surpriced that hotel withhold an additional 50€ and block this money on my card 10 days. I had nothing from room fridge so I wrote email to the hotel and then they immediately sent my money back.

If you want visit sights, this hotel is not for you. If you want to be close s-bahn you can try Estrel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jan B
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed here for one night before heading out to Leipzig and Weimar. Although it's not exactly close to the main tourist attractions in Berlin, this hotel itself is overall a nice establishment: nice lobby, stylish rooms and awesome breakfast. The only downside is the wifi...which wasn't free or fast.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ppqq
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Let me put it this way, you would not be choosing this hotel (out of the way) unless it a meeting that takes you there. For that purpose it suffices but I would not be picking it out of dozens of other location or quality driven alternates.

Pluses:

- Good local transportation connections - S Bahn Sonnenallee stop is a couple of hundred yards away
- Nice spacious rooms - a rarity in Europe. The bathtub is a menace - the 4 ft high sides are dangerous to get in/out

- While many reviewers have complained of a lack of free Wifi, the hotel now provides a basic free Wifi (for up to 2 devices). It was a tad slow but more than adequate

- Efficient front desk staff (well, this Germany after all) though it was pro forma efficient

Nits:

- No character - its just a large generic hotel. Not particularly elegant, just large

- Out of the way - as mentioned earlier, you'd probably be choosing it because your conf is here or threw a dart at a map of Berlin :)

- Very limited and poor food choices. Yes, the hotel has 3-4 restaurants in the lobby that sound nice and the on-line menus look good (Italian, Thai, German, ..) ...but they are as bland as they could possibly be. We tried the Thai - if I was doing a blind tasting, I would have been hard pressed to identify the food as Thai. Soup and dishes had no zing - as ' flavorless as they could be and that is the last thing one would associate with Thai food. Treating this as an anomaly (also that the only other dining choice was a McDonald down the street), we tried the Italian and my comments on blandness would apply just as well. Yipee, at least they democratically screwed up the cuisine from 2 continents. Given that you will be stuck with the hotel restaurants - zero other culinary establishments within easy walking distance - this is a BIG downer.

Bottom line, if this is the hotel "chosen" for you, you'll have a decent experience but not something you'll be writing home about.

Room Tip: go for a high floor - there isn't much of a view but at least you'll avoid seeing the unsigh...