“Modern hotel, delightful stay and decent price!”

Select Hotel Berlin Ostbahnhof
Ranked #133 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We traveled as a group of 3 couples for a stay in Berlin for 3 nights over the New Year. From getting off the aeroplane it was quick and easy to access Innside Berlin hotel through the airport express train, which dropped us off approx 3 minutes walk away at Ostbanhof Station. The area itself is a little intimidating if travelling as a young couple but as there were 6 of us, this was not a problem. The hotel was lovely and modern, whilst the staff could not do enough for us. We were only expected to check in at 3pm but as we had an earlier flight we asked if there was anywhere to put our luggage, he ensured us that 1 of our rooms were ready and we were able to check in right away. The reception staff gave us a map and went into extensive detail to pinpoint all the local amenities, this was very helpful indeed. Prior to booking, I signed up to the Melia Rewards scheme and found that upon my stay I managed to get 15euros per room each day to spend in the hotel bar or minibar. This was a bonus and very handy when waking up in the morning and needing a drink out of the minibar. This hotel was very close to the Berlin wall and transport links round the corner. Also there is a shop right around the corner which is also convenient. The bathrooms are very open plan, but for myself that was not a problem and we knew what we were buying into. The beds were comfy but yes the pillows are very soft, can be folded over but again that's just personal preference. Rooms were of a decent size and as I booked the rooms together they were allocated next to each other which was lovely. All rooms seemed to face into the courtyard, and heating was a nice temperature. Towels got changed every other day but the maids were in each day. The hotel bar is fairly quiet but staff again very attentive! I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Select Hotel Berlin Ostbahnhof

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel was in a renovated industrial building near the ostbahnhof. The room was very nice, though I have to say with a caveat that it may not be the best hotel for two friends staying together as the shower is a glass tube in the middle of the room. Otherwise it was a very comfortable hotel for a wonderful weekend in Berlin.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2013

LOCATION & ATTRACTIONS NEARBY *** Innside Premium Hotels Berlin is located within walking distance (3 min) from the Ostbahnhof Railway Station, in the eastern part of Berlin. Also, not far away there is remaining of the famous Berlin Wall. If you're a gay traveller, there is one attraction within 15 min walk (Lab.oratory), which makes this hotel location very convenient. It is also very good location only if you want to do sightseeing, buses and trains run from there 24/7, so it's very easy to access it without car or taxi.

HOTEL OVERVIEW *** Modern, "cold", industrial in style, but I really liked that. Rooms are located on few floors in a large building and as far as I noticed, all of them face internal courtyards.

PURPOSE OF THIS TRIP *** Leisure.

RESERVATION *** I made this reservation on Melia Hotels website.

CHECK-IN *** Quick, efficient, very professional.

LOBBY & RECEPTION *** Loved it! Look of the lobby was really amazing. I like this style.

ROOM *** We were allocated two rooms #603 and #605, Premium Rooms. Few minutes after we arrived to our room we were given our surprising welcome gift (for each room), a bottle of sparkling wine and plate of biscuits. WOW, I didn't expect that.
Rooms itself were very spacious with plenty storage space. Also quite modern in style, but very practical at the same time. The only thing which may annoy you is the 'open' bathroom with glass shower facing your bed. It's OK if you are with somebody you can share those views, if not - you have a problem - as you cannot cover it or close. You should think about some option of a courting or something there...
Room was also equipped with a small kitchenette (which can be closed if not needed), small fridge with soft drinks. I was surprised that there was no coffee/tea making kit (quite standard in most hotels).
Bed was extremely comfortable, but pillows were far too soft (I had to use two of them just to make it "OK"). Absence of central light switch was a little bit annoying also, but the worst (totally unacceptable) was Wi-Fi access in those rooms...
...as far I am concerned, Innside hotels consider themselves as business hotels. Wi-Fi access is payable extra (!!!), but... In room #603 there is simply no chance to catch the signal. It does not work there. In #605 it was sometimes possible, but very weak. I know it sounds stupid, but when I had to "catch net" I was sitting in the staircase (that's why they have chairs there) in the dark (next to those rooms) and browsing net there. Sorry, but this should not have happened. Reception explained me that "some rooms may have problems with that", aaaaaaaa. Guys, Wi-Fi Internet access is as standard nowadays as bed in the room, do something with it.

BATHROOM *** As mentioned earlier, from your shower "tube" you have panoramic view of the room (and you're shown too). Towels, bathrobe and good quality toiletries are provided. All bathrooms (despite having a lot of glass/mirror surfaces) were spotless clean.

BREAKFAST *** Breakfast is served downstairs; it offers selection of cold and warm meals, fresh breads, fruits, drinks etc. Everything you want. I really enjoyed that, but at some time it may become very busy.

ROOM SERVICE *** Didn't use this time.

INTERNET ACCESS *** Paid and only working well in the lobby (but not in the rooms, check my description above). Score: 2/10 (!!!).

CHECK-OUT EXPERIENCE *** Also, without any problems or issues. Quick and efficient, final invoice accurate.

STAFF *** Perfect staff. They were professional, attentive and very helpful when needed (except Wi-Fi, but that's not their fault). Thank you!

OVERVIEW *** I liked it and I would consider to stay there next time when in Berlin (even with Wi-Fi problems). Good location, comfortable, spacious rooms and just this "atmosphere" - I actually really liked that. I can easily recommend this place to everyone (but if you need Wi-Fi, mention at the time of reservation).

Room Tip: Premium Rooms are worth that a little bit "extra"
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank marqoos_pl
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This hotel is well positioned to access much of what Berlin has to offer - it's a short walk to the Ostbahnhof and its S-Bahn lines. The hotel itself is modern and comfortable while the buffet breakfast offers a good choice. There was no kettle in the room when we arrived though this was quickly provided by the friendly reception staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ukpjs
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The hotel was spotlessly clean. The public areas well maintained and the place itself provided a great setting for a group attending a conference nearby. Breakfast was ample and the rooms were airy, comfortable. Ultimately an excellent place to relax with friendly and very helpful staff. Will gladly visit again. The only drawback was the location, but with taxis being so reasonable it was not a problem.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Visitor931
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Had never been to Berlin before so wasn't sure about best location of hotel, after some research decided on the Innside beside ostbanhof station. Hotel is great, rooms clean, staff friendly, grounds pretty. The only thing is the showers with the glass on to the sleeping area is a bit awkward if you are staying with friends but it made a funny talking point with us. Hotel on a quiet low key street just around the corner from the station which gives you access to anywhere in Berlin. Including the airport express train! Would recommend this hotel to friends and stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed at Innside Berlin during a conference and pretty much enjoyed my stay. The first room they gave me, however, was on the far side of the building from the elevator and was pretty claustrophobic - it had windows high up the wall and so the room felt a little cell-like. After I moved across the courtyard to a room with a small balcony, I loved my stay. The building used to be a school and they have transformed the structure of the school nicely into a hotel. The rooms are spacious and accommodate a bed, a desk and a chaise longue. The nice room, with the balcony, also had a beautiful bathtub which helped to weather the chilly Berlin nights. The hotel is situated very close to the Ostbahnhof, which is convenient if you are coming into the city on the train. And it is a 20 minute walk from Kreuzberg across the bridge. The Mitte is a bit further away and honestly, that can be a problem because there is literally nothing in the area food wise or in terms of cafes.

I thought the breakfast was fine: it was served in a nice open space with a variety of options for hot or cold foods.

All in all

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and a bath tub.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business