“Excellent city hotel”

Ranked #15 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Excellent city hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We spent 7 nights in the Grand Hyatt. It provided a very well-located base for our business and leisure activities. It is near shopping (including 2 grocery stores in the nearby Arkade) and transportation. Since we are walkers, we found it easy to walk to the Zoo, the Checkpoint Charlie/Mauermuseum area, and to restaurants.
The hotel is beautiful and comfortable. The penthouse pool area is amazing--what a place to relax, unwind, and see sunset after a long day!

Since we are Platinum members, wifi was free--agree with other reviewers that the practice of luxury hotels charging for this is absurd and objectionable! However, we were not offered a newspaper, very unusual for a Hyatt. We did see them hanging on others' doors...perhaps there are only German-language papers on offer?

The room was comfortable, with a very firm bed. The minbar had room for some milk and juice of our won. The bath was well-appointed.

A few quibbles:
(1) Housekeeping was very erratic. Depending on who cleaned the room, one may or may not get hand towels, an extra roll of toilet paper, more instant coffee. It is IMPORTANT to turn the green light on when you leave for the day or you may return and find no one made up your room.
(2) What's with the soap?!?! The bath/shower area and sink are far apart. When we arrived there was one bar of soap. In most places, it is usual for there to be a bar for the sink and a bar for the tub/shower, assuming one does wash one's hands with soap after using the toilet, etc.
The one bar was never added to or replaced for 7 days. We bought our own soap and used that in the shower. I stgrongly suggest Hyatt provide 2 bars of soap. (Sure we could have asked, but it was simpler to just buy our own, after a very confusing set of communications with housekeeping the first day.)
Customer service ion the lobby--concierge, desk staff--was excellent.
Vox was great for breakfast and very nice fo our first dinner.
The lobby bar was not a good experience for me (a middle-aged woman). I went for a drink by myself after a day of sight seeing and it took a long time to be served...when I placed my order, the waiter then served others, chatted with a colleague, before bringing me a beer. Perhaps they do not care for women in the bar. All the otehr partron were men or male-female groups.

1 Thank Honu_Ohana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I had to return to Berlin only for 24 hours and decided to go directly to the Hyatt for the night of the 31th of May. This time I wanted something modern, comfortable and it was exactly what I had. The staff at the reception is perfect, very helpful and nice. They proposed me 2 different rooms. I choose the biggest one, with a little living room, a desk. Everything is very modern, design, you can plug your Ipad on the TV to listen to your music... the only thing is that Wifi isn't included in the price of the room (I never understand why?!). Bed very comfortable.
On the 1st of June my plane was in the afternoon and I had to work after the check-out of my bedroom which was booked by someone else just after me. Not a problem for the Hyatt which gave me for 2 hours an other room in order to work... very professional and rare!
The sport area is at the last floor of the building and the view on the park is beautiful. I will also recommend you the great swimming pool on the roof with also certainly the most beautiful view of Berlin!!! incredible by night.
Vox restaurant is good for diner and at last breakfast in my room in the morning was not the best one but still correct.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We just stayed at this hotel for one night as we had a Hyatt coupon to use up -- wish we could have stayed longer as it is a lovely, elegant hotel. Customer service was outstanding. We were allowed to check in very early and given the quiet room we had requested. The room was very comfortable with an amazing bathroom. There was also fresh fruit and flowers. The location is great as it is near the U-Bahn. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Stuttgart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

The Grand Hyatt is one of the few places, where everything around you falls into place and your requests are granted, still preserving the quiet atmosphere and privacy you require.
Rooms are very nice with perfect facilities.
Location in Berlin is great.
The Spa area on the top floor is beautiful.
Breakfast is fabulous, absolutely fantastic.

A true 5*Hotel.

One thing: Internet must be included in a 5* Business / City Hotel. That's the only negative point here.

• Stayed June 2012
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

We ended up at the Hyatt Berlin by accident and it turned out to be a very happy accident. Granted, this is not a hotel suffused with old world ambience and European history (it is kind of in the middle of everything, yet there is nothing around - if that makes any sense). The hotel is lovely, sleek, and modern. Rooms were spacious, impeccably clean, and the shower and bed were above average.

Service was insanely good.

As mentioned, location is good (15 minute hike to Reichstag, Tiergarten, some museums), but if you really want decent cuisine (i.e. not mcdonalds), you will have to jump on a subway (very easy to navigate).

All and all, a great place to call your home while in Berlin.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

I booked a club room and it was an enjoyable experience. The rooms were large, comfortable, quiet and the staff were excellent. The room was very bright and when needed the eletronic blackout blinds came down to blanket the room in darkeness for sleeping. I used the gym a few times and it was a fantastic hotel gym with many machines available for use and the indoor pool after a long day of meetings was very enjoyable. The hotel staff could not be helpful enough at this hotel.

If I could make one change it would be the internet fees. I thought paying extra for the internet when you are a club floor guest is not ideal. They give you 30mins per 24hrs free, but I need too use a smartphone and 2 laptops when I travel so I'm looking at an additional Euro 60 a day. Apart from that it was a very nice stay.

Room Tip: The club floor room was nice.