“Great hotel which made for a wonderful stay”
Review of Grand Hyatt Berlin

Grand Hyatt Berlin
Ranked #22 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 3 July 2013

The Grand Hyatt Berlin is well located in Potsdamer Platz in an area surrounded by new-ish development. It is about a 5 minute walk to the Potsdamer Platz metro/train station from which you can access clean, frequent and efficient public transport to almost everywhere you would wish to go in Berlin including its outskirts such as the San Souci Palace and the other palaces around the neighbouring city/town of Potsdam.

The Brandenburg Gate is a 10 minute walk away passing through the beautiful Tiergarten which will make you want to detour and explore its ponds, statutes, plant and animal life especially during the warmer months. From the Brandenburg Gate it is another 5 minutes one of Berlin's famous streets, Unter den Linden where you will find eateries and retail shops. If you wish to engage in retail therapy closer to the hotel, the Arkade is just across the streets where you will find stores ranging from fashion to groceries. It also has many food outlets. If you are tired of the sybaritic experiences and wish to experience something infinitely more sombre, the Holocaust Memorial is a 5 minute walk from the Brandenburg Gate.

Museum Island is a few short metro stations away from Potsdamer Platz where many of Berlin's premier museums and galleries can be found.

The hotel lobby is huge, tastefully decorated in trade mark Grand Hyatt style which appears art deco inspired. The theme is carried on in the accommodation floors and in the room itself. There are interesting modern art installations in the lobby and accommodation floors.

The hotel room I had was spacious, comfortable and has all the amenities you need for a restful stay. It is quite obvious that some thought had gone into anticipating guests' needs and there is little of the frustrations you'll find in some other hotels where you may struggle to figure out where things are or how they work. I was unable to raise the electronic sunblock blinds and called reception for assistance. The response from the hotel was quick and efficient.

You have 1/2 hour of free wifi each day. However, you can also access the 3 complimentary computer terminals with internet connection next to the reception if no other guests happen to be using them.

I enjoyed using the gym which was reasonably well equipped with good quality equipment. I didn't have the opportunity to use the pool which appeared rather welcoming nor the saunas. I was side tracked having discovered the hotel's restaurants, Vox and Mesa. I ended up patronising them for my meals more than I would normally use hotel restaurants. The food is certainly interesting and world class and the service friendly and engaging.

I would certainly stay here again when I'm next in Berlin. In fact, I may put Berlin higher up my list of places to re-visit just so that I can experience staying at the Grand Hyatt Berlin again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you so much for having taken the time to rate our hotel. We highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for sharing it.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed staying with us. The comfort and wellbeing of our guests is always our highest concern and I am happy that we could meet your expectations as a five-star hotel.

I have also read your remark regarding the difficulty of handling the remote for the electronic blinds. Please be assured, that we will check the handling to make it as easy as possible for you.

For your next stay I may recommend our Spa package including an overnight stay in a luxurious double room, daily Hyatt breakfast (until 2 pm on Sundays), late check-out (until 6 pm on Sundays) and one spa treatment (choice between 30 min Instant Facial and 30 min Foot Reflexology Massage).

We look forward to welcome you back as a guest in our hotel on your next trip to Berlin!

There are newer reviews for Grand Hyatt Berlin

Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel sits 10 mins walk away from both the Brandenburg Gate and Checkpoint Charlie. The service was good and no complaints about the standard and cleanliness of the room.
I only had breakfast at Vox in the hotel and all-in-all, it was a pleasant experience.
The location for sightseeing is excellent though, with plenty cafes and food places round about.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to rate Grand Hyatt Berlin.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We place great value on our guests’ comfort, wellbeing and satisfaction, and I was pleased to hear that your expectations could be met in our luxurious, five-star hotel.

For your next stay, I may recommend our day spa on the top floor with spectacular views over the city.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed at Grad Hyatt Berlin 1 night between 28.06 and 29.06.2013 Check in was fast and nice also the room on the 5th floor was OK (small but clean) but this hotel is not 5 stars hotel and it is not typical Hyatt Hotel (I can compare with Hyatt's in Dubai and Shanghai...) There is no service in this hotel especially in VOX Restaurant. Welcome lady should be replaced asap She is not nice to the custmers. Moreover service is veryyyy slow.

When we went for brekfast we have been waiting 30 minutes to get tea and coffee...

During check out I received the information that my card is not working (I travel a lot and I always use the same card) There is no ATM in this hotel so I had to walk 10 minutes to find nearest ATM. Such things should not happen in Hyatt hotel (for this reasin we choose it!!!)

I do not recommend this hotel.

Dear TripAdvisor User,

First I would like to thank you for the time you took to write down your thoughts about our hotel.

I have carefully read your comments and I am sorry to hear that your expectations were not met. The entire staff of our hotel work daily to provide outstanding service and great attention to guests and I regret that this did not happen in your case.

Please rest assured that your feedback was taken seriously and was passed on to the responsible staff for improvement reasons. I am sorry for the incidents and I hope that you will give us the chance to welcome you back to Grand Hyatt Berlin, so that we can prove to you that our hotel is able to live up to your expectations.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I’ve stayed at Grand Hyatt Berlin since the hotel’s early days, and this time brought my mother, who happened to turn 82 the day we arrived.

I’d notified the hotel in advance, and at check-in we were recognized and my mother was wished a happy birthday. I asked for flowers in her room; roses were waiting, also a cake and a card from the hotel's General Manager. At the hotel’s Vox restaurant, my mother got birthday wishes from the hostess and server, and we enjoyed a glass of wine on the house. In previous visits I hadn’t eaten at Vox, but should have. The food is first-rate, and to sit outside or by the window is extremely pleasant.

At the hotel’s other restaurant, Mesa, one night a dish was slightly not to temperature, but not only was a new dish prepared, but desserts were given to us on the house as compensation. This superb response to a minor problem seems typical of the hotel.

Recent room renovations have not affected the sleek modern look—new paneling and desks that are both rustic and up-to date have added warmth and contrast. The huge bathrooms have changed little and shouldn't, but a cleverly-placed clock and new amenities are notable.

This visit I again used the Club Olympus spa facilities for a massage. The therapist was professional and intuitive, and the treatment done on a comfortable floor mat in a large, serene room. The hotel’s rooftop pool is not to be missed, and the surrounding outdoor spaces let one relax to a view of Berlin.

The professionalism and responsiveness of the staff made this visit distinctive, and if you like architecture that is both modern and inviting, this well-maintained, Renzo Piano-designed hotel is for you. The location makes any part of Berlin easily reachable, and proximity to the Arkaden mall makes any item easy to find. Kudos to Grand Hyatt Berlin for continued excellence.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you so much for such extensive feedback. We highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for the great amount of time you have taken to share it.

I have read your kind words of appreciation and I am happy that we met your expectations. Your appraisal forms the basis for their motivation and your kind words will encourage them to keep on giving their very best to make your stay unique. Please be sure that your kind words will be shared with the entire team.

We look forward to welcome you back at our hotel soon!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Hotel was full and overbooked, but staff did their best to treat us very good on our very rainy anniversary trip to Berlin. Nice champagne bottle waiting in the room, with a gordious bed. The first half of rainy day we spent in the nice spa on top floor. Nice pool area and treatments available. The hotel is located very central in the modern and newly built parts of Berlin, where the wall was before. That makes it very easy to reach with any public transportation.

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for sharing it.

I was pleased to read that you and your wife had a nice stay and a happy anniversary at our hotel. I am glad that your expectations could be met – although the weather could have been better for sure.

For your next stay I may recommend our Spa package including an overnight stay in a luxurious double room, daily Hyatt breakfast (until 2 pm on Sundays), late check out (until 6 pm on Sundays) and one spa treatment (choice between 30 min Instant Facial and 30 min Foot Reflexology Massage).

We look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel in the future!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I took weeks and weeks researching Berlin to find out if I wanted to go, (I was in Berlin in the late 80's and early 90's) and you know what, once again I had a non stop blast! Museums everywhere, great shopping, incredible cafes, restaurants, bars and clubs for all ages, likes and dislikes. I learned that I wanted to travel at the same time It was going to be the Berlin Carnival week, a must do in my opinion and yes it's called a carnival but don't think Rio or New Orleans. From the saturday parade and last day, sunday, street market/fair will wow your socks off, food, drink and wonderful crafts, it's an all day must do!!!

Arrival into TEG, was simple, fast and quite friendly. Airport arrivals can sometime set the beginning of a trip off on the wrong footing. Not this trip...

Fast taxi ride to the property and wham, bam, check in could not have been more easy, fun and interesting. I say interesting, because I had, like I always do, be very proactive in emailing the property with any and every question on my mind, and never more then a few hours later, I had exactly the information I wanted, needed and asked for! Now I said, "Interesting" because every person I had email contact with, came to the reception to say hello, and inform me they where at my disposal, should I need anything... There were 4 ladies behind the counter, each personable and attentive to each guest checking in and out. I arrived at 3pm sharp.

I booked a club level suite on the 7th floor, and it lived up to a "club level suite" in every way! Perfect bathroom, bath amenities, towels, tv (both bedroom and bathroom) mini bar, safe (not large enough for a "normal" size laptop) yummy sheets, lots of free bottles of water both gas and sans gas, three fast efficient elevators that need a room key to access and great amazing artwork everywhere! Oh and GREAT toilet paper... Go ahead and laugh but real travelers know what it's like to have really cheep toilet paper.

Now, the club lounge is a bit small, but I never had to wait to have a place to sit, in fact I found a lovely little alcove with a tiny table set for two (across from the windows and closest to the bathroom). I sat there every time I used the club lounge, and that was quite a bit. The hours were generous, food abundant, fresh and yummy and the staff over the top professional and friendly as well as incredibly eager to assist. And an amazing coffee robot machine thing that became my very best friend instantly, as Im a coffee junkie. I was the only, english speaking guest using the club lounge during my five night stay so I kept to myself and people watched and the club lounge staff tried so hard to understand my each and every need, and though I do not speak fluent German (or any other language fluently) I do speak enough of many, to show locals I'm trying, and in the end that's what really matters, simply trying! My every entrance to the club lounge was met with gracious hellos and smiles, by each and every staff member.

The location, perfect, (well except for the nasty smelly Casino across the street) not the hotels fault. I suggest you buy the hop on hop off buss tour ticket, (it comes in many forms) and get the lay of the land, but I did find each tour company has both old and new busses, look for the new busses and avoid the old ones! I hands down believe hop on hop off tours in any city is the best way the get your lay of the city, well unless you hire a private driver.

I really found a place in Germany I could respect and enjoy in Berlin and will without a doubt be going back and with my stay at the Hyatt Berlin, it will become my new Berlin, Germany residence to hang my hat.

Travel can be tedious, so be kind to your fellow travelers, be safe and enjoy each experience in front of you,

B

Room Tip: I stayed on the 7th floor and the club lounge is right off the elevators room above 726 are a hike t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank HBAcres
GHBerlin, Manager at Grand Hyatt Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you so much for such extensive feedback and the great amount of time you have taken to share your experience of your stay at Grand Hyatt Berlin!

I was very pleased to read that you had a wonderful time during your stay with us. Our staff members work daily with great dedication to make every guest’s stay a special one. I am happy that your expectations could be met and that we could make your stay a special one. Please be assured that I will share your kind words of appreciation with my colleagues. Your appraisal forms the basis for their motivation and your kind words will encourage them to keep on giving their very best.

Thank you once again for the great amount of time you have taken to share your kind words of appreciation.

We look forward to welcoming you very soon!

Reviewed 17 June 2013

We arrived at the hotel at about 8:30am, after a long flight from Miami. Thankfully, they had rooms and checked us in very early! We were able to nap for a couple hours to get over the jetlag, and start seeing Berlin's sights immediately! We had two rooms and both were spotless. After our naps, we had already consumed our complimentary bottles of water, but when we returned in the evening, we had fresh bottles waiting at our bedside. Service was perfect.
There is a shopping mall across the street with everything form a Starbucks to a grocery store. A few doors down from the Starbucks is an even better bakery. All around the hotel are more modern sights to see, and the Sony Center is just a few steps away.
Down the street, by the train station, is a stop for the Double-Decker tours. I usually don't do these kind of things on vacations, but this was very convenient. The tour was relatively affordable and took us to all the sights, dropping us off right at the doorsteps. Only a few steps from the hotel before catching the bus. It made things very convenient. If you don't want to do that, the subway is right there as well, which can get you anywhere.
For convenience and service, this hotel was amazing. I loved everything about it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear TripAdvisor User,

Thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share with me your experiences during your last stay at Grand Hyatt Berlin.

I have read your kind words of appreciation and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We place great value on our guests’ comfort, wellbeing and satisfaction, and I was pleased to hear that your expectations could be met in our luxurious, five-star hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Grand Hyatt Berlin in the future!